WATCH WJZ TUESDAY @ 11 A.M.: New Baltimore Mayor Inauguration Ceremony

911 Call Released In Case Of Son Accused Of Choking, Burning Mother

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A son is accused of choking and setting his own mother on fire. Baltimore County police released the chilling 911 call he made as flames ripped through their home.

Jessica Kartalija has more.

Firefighters arrived minutes after Gordon Jenkins, 23, made his call to 911

“Hello, my house is on fire. My house is on fire,” Jenkins said on the call.

Police say Teresa Hamel, 47, suffered severe burns after her son brutally attacked her inside her East Baltimore Street rowhouse.

“Sometime during the course of her being choked by her son, she lost consciousness,” said Lt. Robert McCullough, Baltimore County Police.

Police say Jenkins set his mother’s bedroom and clothing on fire, then he called for help.

Jenkins: “I’m in the house, I need to get out.”

911 Operator: “What’s on fire?”

Jenkins: “The upstairs.”

911 Operator: “Is anybody injured?”

Jenkins: “I don’t know. I mean, yes, my mom, but I mean…”

911 Operator: “What do you mean, your mom?”

Jenkins: “I’ve got to get out. The house is on fire.”

Hamel had filed a protective order against her son prior to the attack. She is now in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Bayview.

Jenkins is behind bars charged with first-degree attempted murder and arson.

A court date is set for April 15.

More from Jessica Kartalija
Comments

1. Herman Glimsher says:

SET HIM ON FIRE UNTIL HE DIES!!!!!

2. My Sympathy says:

He is mentally ill and needs help he has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia disorder. Now his grandmother who his mother takes care of will probably be put in a nursing home because she has Alzheimer’s disease.

3. Friend says:

Gordon is a good guy.He just needs to get some help.

1. disapointed says:

i knew gordon, he grew up three doors up from me. sad to see how far people fall. he used to be a good guy, now i find him to be a pathetic excuse for a human. no excuse for him and his actions!

4. truthteller says:

what about all the drug dealers on PENNINGTON AVENUE?

5. Crystal Vanpelt says:

WOW, WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS KID!!??

6. RavenLude says:

Friend……im sure he is a good guy, as is anyone else who would set there own mother on fire.
    My Sympathy…..u sound like a defense attorney.