Under Investigation: Boy, 4, Dies After Shooting Himself With Handgun

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Heartbreak in a Northwest Baltimore neighborhood. That’s where a 4-year-old child died after he apparently shot himself in the face with a gun he found in the house.

Andrea Fujii has details and reaction from saddened neighbors.

As that little boy’s family grieves, neighbors are offering up their sympathies, while wondering how the child got ahold of a gun.

On Fernhill Avenue in Northwest Baltimore, neighbors can only watch as police investigate the death of 4-year-old Tyeshawn Townsend.

“I feel pain for his mom because I’m a mom also,” said a neighbor.

“I just think people who own handguns need to be more responsible with them, but I just can’t imagine what the parents are going through at this time and my prayers go out to them,” said India Motse-Dyson.

Police say around 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Tyeshawn apparently found a gun inside his house and was playing with it when it went off–hitting him in the face.

He was rushed to the hospital but later died from his injuries.

“I can tell you that a gun has been recovered by detectives,” said Jeremy Silbert, Baltimore City Police.

A police spokesman said he did not know who was in the house with the child at the time. But some neighbors reportedly heard the boy’s mother screaming in horror. Many who live nearby are all asking the same question.

“In the first place, how could a 4-year-old get hold of a gun?” said Rosemarie Singh.

Area parents say it’s a heartbreaking lesson learned for the entire community.

“When you have little kids like that, they get into everything.  I don’t think people really should own a gun when you have kids like that,” Louvinia Sneed said.

“Put it locked up so a child really can’t get to it. Just having it laying around, if a child is curious they think it’s a toy,” Paulette Vaughn said.

“I think guns shouldn’t be allowed in the home, period, especially with young children.  Children of any age actually,” said Anna Coates.

Detectives are still working the case. Police say it’s too early to tell whether any charges will be filed.

Police hope to release more information on the tragedy at a press briefing Monday.

Comments

1. truthteller says:

find out who owns the gun and charge them accordingly.

1. Gina says:

I bet the gun isn’t even registered.

2. ratm33 says:

It is just wrong to own a gun without safety equipment used on it, when children are going to be in the same house. Whoever owns that gun should be tried as if they shot the child themself.

3. Arteimed says:

Lord please be with that child and his family.

Instead of looking to place the blame, try lifting this child up in prayer.

1. Margie says:

Amen Artiemed

2. RDNKKKGRL says:

WE ALREADY NO THAT BBYS IN HEAVEN!!!…….THEY NEED TO LOCK HIS PARENTS UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY OR BETTER YET PUT THEM ON DEATH ROW!!!!

4. Angry Mom says:

I feel sorry for this child, one more innocent child has to die because some crack head parent doesn’t care about the well being of their child.

1. Blueberry says:

How do you know the parent was a crackhead? They are definitely at fault and careless as hell and they should be charged accordingly. But on the same token I know that they are probably going through hell right now. Let’s pray for them and their son instead of making assumptions.

1. We all make mistakes says:

I agree. The parent was careless for not having the gun locked away, but I can’t begin to imagine the grief and guilt they are going through right now.

2. RDNKKKGRL says:

OH THEY MOST PROBABLY ARE CRACKHEADS BECAUSE RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS DONT LEAVE LOADED GUNS LAYING AROUND THE HOUSE AND WE WATCH OUR CHILDREN SO WE NO WAT THERE DOING EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY………….AND I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT 4YR OLD SHOT HIMSELF THATS JUST MIGHT NEAR IMPOSSIBLE FOR A 4YR OLD TO PULL A TRIGGER ON A GUN UNLESS OF COURSE ITS A LITTLE RED RIDER BB GUN N THAT WOULDNT OF KILLED HIM!!!

2. pigeon says:

Ma’am, do not cast blame unless you are able to walk on water! Do not assume there is dope involved in the household. Shame!
      Horrific and preventable. God has a new angel. And a family is without a child. Makes my heart aches no matter the who, whats, whys or wherefores.

1. jerryenowitch7 says:

Piegon, STFU….If God wanted an angel he would have created one & not taken a innocent soul.

2. RDNKKKGRL says:

OH IM NOT CASTING BLAME THATS JUST THE COLD HARD FACTS AND YES UR RIGHT GOD DOES HAVE ANOTHER ANGEL BUT I NO WAT ITS LIKE TO LOSE A CHILD ANY RESPONSIBLE PARENT OR GUN OWNER WOULD LET THERE GUNS LOADED UNATTENDED IN A HOUSE W/A 4YR OLD……GET REAL YEAH I DO BLAME IT ON THE IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS IF IT WAS EVEN THE LITTLE BOY WHO SHOT HIMSELF

5. Richard Perry says:

it’s a shame,what ever the reason,the gun should never have been in reach of the child,now the parent;s will live with this the rest of their lives,people who do not know how to handel gun’s should not have them!

1. RDNKKKGRL says:

OOPS SORRY I MEANT ANY RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER WOULDNT

6. Sarah Sams says:

hope nobody realizes who you are at Hopkins cuz if they do you may get fired. You are violating HIPPA laws “Laptop”

7. Baltimorebob says:

My the lord put his hands on that chikd soul and the famaily heart and help try to heal them with ur allmighty power please keep guns away from chikdern please

8. person 1 says:

who knows the moms sayin she not to blame, ha for all we know she did it

1. RDNKKKGRL says:

OH I AGREE ON THAT ONE THAT BBY DID NOT SHOOT HIMSELF I DONT CARE WAT ANYONE SAYS OR THINKS!!!

9. pigeon says:

To whomever, thank you for removing LAPTOP’s comment! Hopefully someone will know who that individual is and reports them to human resources/personnel at the hospital.

10. Darlene says:

That poor, poor baby….

1. RDNKKKGRL says:

THAT BBY IS IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE RIGHT NOW…………….HEAVEN!!!

11. lulu says:

To this day I am yrs old and do not know where the key to my father’s gun cabinet is located!!! Careless jerks!

12. RDNKKKGRL says:

YEAH RIGHT WATEVERRR!!!

1. elmo says:

Daddy let’s you shoot between bj’s huh?

13. Heather says:

2 years ago, my12 year old nephew was shot by a gun his father had left on the porch after target shooting off the deck in their woods. His father is in the military and my sister (the mom) is an intelligent, college educated, drug free woman. Yes, he was irresponsible and we all wanted to rip him apart and throw guilt and anger his way. Two years later, I can promise you that his pain and grief has done more than any of our anger ever could have inflicted. I agree, a gun should NEVER be left unlocked and the adults are responsible, but time will provide more sadness over their lifetime than anyone here can imagine. It gets worse, not better. Those parents are now in their own self-imposed prison. I will pray for the family.

14. shawntae says:

Aint No Way That A Mother Just Gonna Let Her 4 Year Old Child Who’s Still A Baby Just Wonder Off && Do Wateverr . . Whoever Was Watching The Child At The Time Should Be Punished && Charged . I Still Find It Hard To Believe That A Person Gonna Just Leave A Gun Around Knowing That Its A Child In The House Who Is Capable Of Thinking Its A Toy Smfh , I Will Just Keep Their Family In Prayers !

15. truthteller says:

how about those milk prices?

16. HeavenInView says:

Just jumping off the subject… I work at Hopkins and I can honestly say nothing is going to happen to that inidividual that violates HIPPA laws. It happens in my department daily and nobody ever faces any consquences. Most importanty instead of the usual gossip and rumors Hopkins employees produce our prayers should be with this family in their time of need. So Sad!

17. brock says:

may JEHOVAH GOD smile down on these parents.my prayers are with you.

18. ARNOLD says:

YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE ON DRUGS NOT TO HAVE A GUN WHERE CHILDREN CAN GET IT!…….”YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE GOOD SENSE…………

19. shantel says:

my heart goes out to the 4 year old boy who shot himself with a gun in the face.its just sad that the parents didnt have more scense enough to store the gun away.

20. AT says:

Commenting needs to be closed before all of the anti-gun hippies have heart attacks over this. Yes, the gun was out, yes it was not fixed with a trigger lock as it should have been. Banning guns like the damnocrats want to do will not do anything. Criminals will still get their hands on them, and only bad things can come from that. Nazi Germany banned civilian owned weapons. Do you want to do what they did? Get a grip. Guns are a part of life, like it or not. Better learn to live with the fact that they exist, even if you don’t like them. If someone breaks into your house at 3am, do you wanna bend over and give in, or defend yourself?

Stop arguing over this you freaking hippies.

21. Thanks for putting together Under Investigation: Boy, 4, Dies After Shooting Himself With Handgun CBS Baltimore I am enjoying the posts. Would you do a guest post on a blog I help run? Do you believe that you could contribute? You can look at our post types at http://yoda.sakura.ne.jp/ybb/YaBB.cgi?action=viewprofile;username=Vieplempomput and absolutely we would be thinking about having you post an article or two on our blog, what do you believe? In case you are interested let me know by means of the contacts page on our web site.Under Investigation: Boy, 4, Dies After Shooting Himself With Handgun CBS Baltimore is an intriguing name for a blog, keep up the top effort, thanks, from Sopoline Abbott

22. Estamiloca97 says:

Hi all..
    I`m work in Somalia now and i need help on your forum
    please pm me who make help, tnks.

23. AlinaMalinova says:

Лазила в сети, наткнулась на сайт приколов. Вы только посмотрите: Шутки. До сих пор ржу, не могу.😀
    Извиняюсь что не в тот раздел, не умею указать.

24. agetLoyassy says:

My first post

25. MariaMoon says:

Congratulations all of this rare event that happens once in a hundred years!

26. Immizarry says:

My first post

27. OrderZithromaxOnline says:

Hello. I’m new here. Do I choose correct category of the forum – this to ask my question?

Maybe someone can help me? Where to order azithromycin 250mg at cheap cost in Australia without a prescription?

Thanks.

28. Aimbetti says:

Your current style is amazing as well! Would definitely be awesome to learn exactly where I can get that. If possible maintain up the excellent job. extrabbcodeexelennt4u

29. internetmodelsinc says:

Internet Cam Models Wanted~Have Fun and Get Paid$$$

Making Money Online on Top Webcams Sites,Top Models make 4000$ a week.You can view their profile on the Performer center.No Games NO BS.

Earn money from the comfort of your Home!

Set your own schedule!

Payout Every 2 weeks!

Nothing to download,user friendly interface.

100% Secure u0026 Confidential.

No Physical Contact.

We get Large Volumes of hits on our site Daily!

You can block any city/state/country.

Our site is sitelock secure protecting you from virus,hackers,spam,malware and scams.

24/7 Live Support!

Be Energetic,Be Fun,Be Serious about making Money$$$!

Go to http://www.internetmodelsinc.com
    click on Models Wanted and click Apply now!$$$$

30. uTy g says:

One of the rout and worst things about getting some valid aptitude with refuse bikes is the sine qua non to travel. You can never impartial sit peaceful in the nevertheless place throughout too long. There’s brand-new areas to overcome, new events to shoplift allotment in, and a total world to explore. Come what may, it’s only just not possible to bike your point to all of them. So if you’re like me, you’re prospering to wind up stuck in a business with a reams of other bikers after an extended days of time. And that opportunity is also all things considered out wishing fit an escape on to your bike. No matter what, I conclusively found my escape. I’ve started playing dross bike games on my laptop during travel. They’re absurdly calm to go down up. Basically, since most of them just spurn hasten there’s nothing much that one needs to do besides loading up the webpage and clicking to start. And every now you do it’s like a petite simulation of biking, except with a grouping of making whoopee hardly twists.

fun arcade

31. cymbaltarx says:

negative effects of cymbalta http://buyduloxetine-tn.webs.com – does cymbalta make you sleepy – cymbalta vivid dreams
    I have been on Cymbalta for a few years – was on Effexor before. So, I relate to all these posts. I have found the fish oil, vitamins, and eating small meals throughout the day helps with the brain zaps. I had the whoosh feeling in my head as well but that has subsided. Like you all, I am anxious to get off this drug and resume a normal life. I weaned from 60 to 30 and then split the capsules for a week. Now I am on nothing but fish oil and yes, that helps. A lot. I am going into my fourth week of withdrawal and it is HARD. But I believe we are stronger than this drug and will win the battle. Anonymous Cymbalta use also appears to be associated with an increased risk of Stevens-Johnson syndrome, a skin disease that usually results from a drug reaction, as well as another form of the disease called toxic epidermal necrolysis. The FDA reviewers recommended that, if it is given the chronic pain indications, it should carry warning labels about the increased skin disease risks.
    gvxd, :o), cymbalta and migraines cymbalta price in india canada – cymbalta loss of appetite
    cymbalta package photo cymbalta lazy

32. zeleniyray says:

У нас в Шахтах есть организация “Зеленый Рай”, где предлагают продажа хвойных растений и я думаю, нужно ли это для моего загородного дома.

33. trusted_medsss says:

where can i buy antibiotics online

34. helpmom says:

Вся информация об реклама интернет магазина и не только

35. ZOLOFT says: