Elderly Woman Attacked By 2 Of 15 Dogs Found In Her Home

GAMBRILLS, Md. (WJZ) — An elderly woman is at Shock Trauma Wednesday after being mauled by pit bulls in her Gambrills home.

Suzanne Collins reports two of 15 dogs found in the house are being deemed dangerous.

The 84-year-old woman was mauled by two of her granddaughter’s pit bulls, which are now being held in quarantine, declared to be “dangerous dogs” by the county. In all, 15 dogs were removed from the Gambrills home.

“There were a total of five adult pit bulls, there were six pit bull puppies under 4 months old, and there were four dogs that belonged to the elderly woman,” said Lt. Glenn Shanahan with Anne Arundel County Animal Control.

The shelter says some of the dogs are sick. One has eye problems. The shelter also says the puppies were underfed, but have recovered.

“They were emaciated, dirty, seemed like they were very hungry,” said Mindi Brocato, shelter employee.

The elderly woman tells police that the pit bull named Trinity started to attack her lab. That’s when the second pit bull joined in. There was a melee.  She was mauled and her lab was killed.

The victim, who’s still in serious condition, was finally able to tell officers exactly which dogs attacked her.

“The owner of the dogs—the granddaughter— has decided to take this before the Animal Control Commission to fight the danger orders,” Shanahan said.

To get the dogs back she must pay nearly $1,000 in fines. Dangerous dogs must be kenneled or muzzled, otherwise they’ll be euthanized.

Neighbors say they didn’t know so many dogs were inside.

“A little 4-year-old child in a house with 15 dogs, 11 pit bulls. That’s pretty dangerous, I would think. Dogs react to children differently because they are small,” said Jerry Shai, neighbor.

“They could be dangerous if they got out,” said Bob Gruss, neighbor. “They could attack a child, I would think.”

No one answered the door Wednesday.

The granddaughter has also been charged with having unlicensed dogs and no proof of rabies vaccinations.

Comments

1. Pitbullsarentpets says:

Like i’ve been saying all along, Pitbulls are killers from birth!!! Only an idiot would try an make a pet out of one…

1. Kerrie says:

i feel like you just posted this comment hoping to get a flood of frantic responses…. you obviously have no personal experience with pits based on your statements, just anecdotes about a pit you may have encountered once and a few stories from news sources that know blood sells and as such only print articles about violence. Any responsible owner of any dog breed would never be in the situation as this woman, hoarding and neglecting dogs (which are the start of a good recipe for vicious dog attacks). She should not be allowed to own any dogs, although since she never bothered to get any of her dogs licensed i’m sure it won’t be long before she has more dangerous and malnourished dogs in her home

1. Cheryl Sherpinski says:

from what the article said 11 of the dogs were not hers but her granddaughter’s; who seems to be irresponsible. Leaving that many dogs with someone who is probably on a fixed income and not providing adequate food to care for them or additional money to care for them. If she has the $1000 for the fines why didn’t she take care of them herself instead of dumping them on her elderly grandmother?

2. Hope HouseofPeace Everywhere says:

If the dogs were starving, just like you, they would try to get food in any way they could.

It may be that the lab was being fed, but the other dogs weren’t, in which case, it would explain why the pits went after the lab. In addition, if the woman tried to interfere with the fight, she would not have been mailed on purpose, but because she was in the way of nature’s method of feeding animals…the strongest survive…kill or be killed.

In addition, if the pits were just recently brought into the home, and the lab was there, originally, and the pups belonged to the pits, then, the dogs might see the attack as trying to supply for the puppies. Try to remember, pits, like any animal, with canines, are carnivorous.

Normally, pits don’t go after ‘just’ any animal, though, unless they haven’t been taken care of, properly.

2. Linda Fiore says:

any dog can be akiller dont blame it on one breed u idiot

1. Bullfrog says:

I have had German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, Pomeranian, Poodles, Mixed Breeds, Collies, and BLACK Labs  over the last forty years and my ownership of these dogs tell me that Pit Bulls are by far the most dangerous. I also worked  for a few years at the Maryland S.P.C.A  and have had several years experience at veterinarian Hospitals.  My ownership of different breeds and experience at different jobs tells me that I am RIGHT.

2. Pam Eckloff says:

i agree…we have a pit bull and hes like a baby…i think its all in how the owner raises the dog…pits have a bad rep but they really can be sweet dogs and most people dont give them a chance…

3. pitbulllove says:

umm no they are not killers its all on who the owners are!!

3. Chris says:

pit bulls are not killers from birth, but they are more aggressive than most dogs. They become killers from being mistreated and made mean by the worthless owners. I don’t like pit bulls or most domesticated animals anyway, but animals are made the way they are by the owners being neglectful and stupid!!

4. rlk says:

The fact that the dogs were pits doesnt matter. Anyone who has 15 starving dogs in their house was asking for it. Instead of banning breeds we should be banning stupid people from pet ownership (and for that matter from being parents).

1. marylandbrowngirl says:

FOR THE WIN!!! Best comment! Could not have said it better myself.

2. ShannonW says:

Very well said! I love the idiots who blame the dogs…..the people are to blame, not the dogs!

5. Nanci Ryan says:

Please check baltimore bullies…and start nuetering idiots.

6. Sarah Sams says:

you dont know nothing.. i have two and they are the best pets ive ever had. your just close minded and probably had a personal experience w/ a pit and are now on the band wagon w/. the media

2. Alla Bradley says:

You can’t get homeowners if you have a pitbull, I guess there are alot of people who don’t have it, or they lied when they got it. They are a dangerous breed by all accounts.

1. Nicole says:

That is actually false, and you can infact obtain both homeowners and renters insurance with pit bulls!!! I will also assume that you have never had the pleasure of being around any pit bulls. They are not dangerous by all accounts. I don’t feel like going into detail here as I do not feel like being bashed. As with your first statement being wrong, your second one is as well!

1. Bullfrog says:

Nicole, I do not know what your experience is but mine goes back 40 years and you my dear are WRONG! CASE CLOSED!

2. Jay Reynolds says:

Pitbulls ar e not dangerous..RATHER THE PEOPLE are just stupid. They are the most loyal animals. Why don’t we underfeed you and see how cranky you become?

3. JQP says:

Bullfrog, you can spew any “fact” about yourself to convince us that you’re credible, but unless you put out statistics with some method of backing up your case… sources, etc… you are just one more fool who follows the party line and can’t think for himself.

I have a pit bull and she is 14. She is the best dog a family could ever have the pleasure of living with. She has helped me every day with loving and protecting and playing with my small children, and…OH, by the way, I have homeowners insurance… and, yes, we bought the house after we rescued the pup.

NICOLE, you rock, sister.

2. ha ha! says:

while I’m not sure about INSURANCE, I DO KNOW that you would be hard-pressed to find a renter to accept a pitbull🙂

1. hairchick1803 says:

Yep, it’s called discrimination!

3. brenda walsh says:

wrong, i have a pitbull, and statefarm gladly insures my home. suck on that.

4. Mz.B says:

Alla I am a home owner in Baltimore County, I am a pit bull (mix) owner with a licensed dog and my home owners increased by a whopping $19 per year when I adopted. I am not sure where you got this info, but it is not correct.

5. ha ha says:

yes, you can. where do you get your info?

3. Pat says:

Any dog can be vicious. The Pits and the Rotties get the brunt of it. These dogs are wonderful animals. If they are treated badly, and not fed, any dog will do the same.There are NO bad dogs, just Bad Owners….

1. PitbullsArentPets says:

@Pat, Rotts are not in the same arena as Pitbulls!! Pitbulls will kill you, your kid, your other pet (if you have one) and I know that you idiots know exactly what i’m talking about!! No dog stands a chance with them in the ring!!

4. Pat says:

Ex-Baltimore, you don’t know what the hell you are talking about. I have 10 dogs, mostly all rescues, and my dogs are treated better than most people. And its not only women….

5. JoeFromAACounty says:

PIT BULLS ARE BRED TO FIGHT AND KILL………….THEY ARE UNPREDICTABLE AND THAT’S WHY THEY’RE DANGEROUS………..CASE CLOSED!!!

1. Nicole Pelkey says:

Joe.. I have a 13 year old Pit Bull. She was NOT bred to fight, and she has NEVER been unpredictable! Have you ever tried to educate yourself on the breed? Something that DIDN’T come from the evening news, or your local paper? Dogs of ANY breed can be made aggressive. They are not born that way. And even the ones who are fought in dog fighting operations are proving that they can be rehabilitated. Take a look at Handsome Dan. But I know, I know. You won’t, but instead, you will come back with the some line that you probably heard from a recent media story. Or some false statistic. But it’s funny, that years ago, it was the Doberman that was vicious, then the Rottie, and the German Shepherd. How can anyone truly think that judging a dog, based on it’s breed, is any different from racial profiling? Are you also a racist Joe? Take the time to educate yourself on Pit Bulls before you spew your garbage!

2. Amanda says:

Pit bulls are an intelligent, LOYAL breed. They will do whatever their owner wants them to. If you train them to fight, then yes, they will fight tooth and nail to satisfy their owner. If you teach them to be calm, friendly dogs, they will be the most gentle, caring animals you’ve ever met. An animal is not evil just for being born, it’s the stupid PEOPLE that make them that way. Don’t bash the dogs, blame the idiots that teach them.

1. Coaster says:

Yeah, I wonder if she knew the guys that were seen up by Loving Rd. fighting Pitts in February….maybe she supplied the puppy they were using.

3. candace says:

I don’t know where you are getting your information from but you are VERY wrong! Pits were NOT originally bred to fight and kill. While obviously there are exceptions, and breeding dogs then fighting them does occur the breed does not have a genetic predisposition to fighting or killing. Pits were originally bred as weight pulling dogs because of their amazing strength. I have had the pleasure of owning pits and currently have a 5 year old red nose who is the most docile, loving, loyal dog I have ever owned or met. I am also active in the local bull breed rescues. I have been around many pits, including abused ones, and have met very few aggressive ones. It is all in how the dog is treated. You can make any dog or animal for that matter mean and aggressive by starving and abusing it. As far as unpredictability goes; any animal can be unpredictable, including human beings. You may want to get your facts straight prior to posting and perpetuating the stereotypes.

4. Coaster says:

Joe, obviously you ARE from AA county, as it seems that pit bulls in AAC are only bred for that reason in Anne Arundel County. When you grow up and travel outside of this area, you will go to places where you will see other dogs that are treated badly, and inbred to the point where they become overloyal and sometimes snap. They will also become paranoid and defend against perceived aggressors.

In your future travels, you will also see loyal breeds treated the way dogs should be treated. They are raised well, and trained properly. They do not attack, and they do not kill other animals or people. The owners of these dogs are the ones you read posts from so vehemently (that means to say strongly) protesting those people who say that all pit bulls, or rotts or german shepards (before your time) are bred only to kill.

Enjoy your spring break!

6. urnotfunny says:

AA County WFT? What I want to know is…………..why in the hell would they even consider giving her these animals back? They were undernourished and were not up to date on vaccinations. The puppies are probably for her to sell to fight. What the hell is wrong with you people at animal control, don’t give those dogs back to this beast. The poor grandmother is in shock trauma, WAKE UP!!!

1. Iva Bolden says:

I agree She should not be allowed to own any pets. I would have child welfare check her out too. A young child with all those dogs?

7. JR says:

Very well stated Nicole and Pat, some people will speak without any knowledge or facts..

8. TR says:

I agree with Nicole and Pat…..Any Dog can be dangerous…its all in how the owner treats or mistreats them….It is not any different than some of the children on our streets these days that Kill…..Abusers attacking or killing abusers…
    Signed, A Proud Pitbull owner.

9. randc says:

Do you hear of any other maulings from Collies, Poodles, Labs, no. Please don’t say it’s because they don’t broadcast those maulings in the media. I’m sure if a Poodle mauled someone it would be all over the news. All animals are unpredictable and ANYONE that has any sense to them knows this. I learned that from working as a vet tech for 10 years. You may have a great pitbull as a pet that hasn’t hurt anyone – you just love your animal and are ignorant to the fact that there is a just reason why people are afraid of them.

1. Nicole Pelkey says:

Have you checked out the American Temperament Test Society. I think you might learn a little about your “Collies, Poodles, and Labs”.

1. randc says:

How many people have Collies, Poodles and Labs disfigured? Is that in the american temperment test society? Do they bite? Yes. Do they bite a lot? Yes, sure, whatever your little statistic say on that website. I think you missed my point all while trying to make yours.

2. Cheryl Sherpinski says:

poodles were actually bred to kill mice and rats; the daushound was bred to go after badgers and many of your collies and shepherds were bred to protect the flocks against wolves, bears and coyotes. So most of the breeds of dogs were bred to fight!!!!

1. Gael O says:

Umm……..Dog knowledge: FAIL. Poodles are birding dogs. They were bred to point out the birds to the hunter, then swim out and retrieve the bird the hunter shot. Just like Labs. Herding dogs were bred to *herd*. They naturally group things together. I had one years ago who would circle people in the back yard and shove them until everyone was in a group. Most dogs are NOT bred to fight. At most, they are bred to defend. These attacks aren’t a matter of defense in most of the cases I know of. Including the psycho pit that used to live up the street from me. Raised by experienced dog people, never knew a harsh word his whole life. They opened the door, he saw someone walking their dog a few blogs down the street and off he went. No warning. No previous misbehavior, no previous interaction w/ this other dog aside from seeing it walked down the street. His little brain just snapped.

I think there are lines of pit bulls with some sort of mental defect – too many are reported being raised by caring people in good homes and they still go off. Something like human psychosis. The problem is that you don’t know if your dog has the problem until they do it. I’d love to see some vet school start a brain study on these animals, if it is a defect, then it could be bred out. Or at the least, you’d know that the dog had it.

And as a side note re: other dog bites. Other dogs may bite, but they tend to bite and let go. Pit Bulls tend to bite and lock down. Their jaw strength makes it next to impossible to pry their mouths open, which is possible on a German Shepard. Their “bite and dig in” style makes them more dangerous than a “bite and let go” dog.

2. brenda walsh says:

Gael O, that is a myth.

“‘Pit Bulls have locking jaws.’ The jaws of the Pit Bull are functionally
        the same as the jaws of any other breed, and this has been proven via
        expert examination.

The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the
        skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their
        size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is
        no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely
        not evidence for the existence of any kind of ’locking mechanism’ unique
        to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier,
        says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA
        booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)”

3. Coaster says:

Gael O:

Yes, in a sense there are some pit bulls that have mental defects. In a nutshell, it’s a case of overbreeding. In the “loyalty” breeds – not just pit bulls, you can get this where they are just the best thing ever, and do just what you’d want, bark at the door, don’t let strangers near the kids, don’t let tresspassers inside the fenced yard without making a huge ruckus, but then that inbreeding gets a little overdone in some of them. And you know, for all the ones that make the news, that’s really a small percent compared to the ones that don’t. It’s just because it’s a really really awful way to make the news. And the ones that have that bad gene set or whatever it is, due to inbreeding (it might even be something that can be passed down like red hair and green eyes with people) makes them snap after a few years. It isn’t just dogs, either. I had a neighbor who’s cat got bred by it’s close relative (they didn’t “believe” in spaying and neutering – ugh) and one of the kittens was so violently agressive it had to be put down before it was six months old. The vet said it was because it was inbred, sometimes that happens.

3. ha ha! says:

i have a WONDERFUL rottweiler. His name is Sgt. Stubby. But, let’s be frank sweetheart. He is part of a vicious breed. It’s okay to say you just did an exceptional job honey🙂

1. the other ha ha says:

no, they are not part of a viscous breed, they are part of a strong breed, there’s a difference. the only reason we hear more about their attacks is because they do the same thing that smaller dogs do, but they cause more damage because of their strength, not their temperament… honey.

4. brenda walsh says:

I own a pitbull who’s temperament is very predictable, know why? because he is well cared for and treated the way he should be. I have however been attacked by a standard poodle, it was not broadcast on the news and. i was mauled quite badly by a boston terrier – went to the hospital with numerous bite wounds and nerve damage, never broadcast on the news…neither of those dogs were mine.

The media is guilty of sensationalizing these stories just as irresponsible owners are guilty of giving these dogs a bad temperament because they are not cared for properly.

what exactly did this family think would happen with FIFTEEN underfed, neglected dogs in one house?

5. hairchick1803 says:

There are many cases were people call the media to report dog attacks and because it isn’t a “bully” breed the media will not cover – check me out if you want. I know there are many cases. There are also many cases about pits saving lives but those aren’t “news worhty” either!

6. hairchick1803 says:

Many cases of media not covering stories, believe it or don’t, it’s up to you. At the end of the day I will still enjoy love from my “attack dog breed.”

Think about this, if you were in Japan and the media told you there was no reason to be alarmed and you believed them….would you still think the same. Yes, I know someone in Japan and yes that’s what they were told by there media AND there government.

10. randc says:

Also, not all animals that attack are mistreated by their owners. Such a HUGE misconception. All of those that claim to know so much about animals are just rambling about something they know nothing about. Both sides arguing their points are completely wrong. Not one family dog that was loved and treated with care and kindness has ever attacked anyone – yeah right.

11. mandy says:

Why would she give a 84 year old woman to watch 2 pittbulls in the first place.
    Do not give the dogs back to her. The dog need to put down. If the dogs are for fighting & I think thats some states there law need to put the dogs down.
    I DO NOT LIKE ANY KIND OF ANIMAL FIGHTING AT ALL.

12. Doug says:

And what did the other dogs do while their K-9 friends were having their way with granny. Hmmm..
    If they’re anything like my dog,bet they just watched
    and wondered where they’re next meal was going to come from.

13. cassie1127 says:

As a Pit Bull owner I must say that anyone whom truly believes these dogs are dangerous obviously do not own one. I have had my pit for 8 years and she would lick you to death before she would ever hurt you. I have 4 children and also had an at home day care with 4 toddlers and my pit Zena never once showed aggression towards them even though they climbed on her, pulled her tail and constantly pestered her. It is not the breed but the way they are raised. it is not the breeds fault that dog fighters have given them a bad rap! I would be pretty nasty too if I was starved to death and beaten and neglected. Again, IT IS NOT THE DOG BUT THE OWNERS WHO RAISE THEM AND HOW THEY ARE RAISED!!

14. Danielle Avent says:

She probably was taking advantage of the old ma. Probably breeding and holding those pits for some old dude she messing with. Shame *smh*.

15. RDNKKKGRL says:

PIT BULLS SHOULDNT B ALOUD IN THIS COUNTRY OR WATEVER THEY HAVE A KILLER INSTINCT SINCE BIRTH THEY SHOULD B SHOT AND SO SHOULD THE OWNER EVERYONE THAT THINKS PITS ARE SO GREAT JUST WAIT TILL THEY TURN ON U CAUSE THEY WILL EVENTUALLY DO U DONT SEE GOLDEN RETRIEVERS,POMERANIANS,CHIUAHUA;S,YORKIES OR GERMAN SHEPPARDS ON THE NEWS JUST ABOUT EVERYDAY U SEE PITS

1. Deneen says:

You obviously should be shot! It’s owners with your mentality that are the problem. Learn to spell. Get some grammar lessons. Allowed is the word you were looking for and whatever has an h in it. Just because it’s not in the news, it doesn’t happen?

2. Sharon says:

Man, I wish the five dogs in the yard that backs against mine were not ALOUD.

3. ha do-diddly-ha says:

WHAT?!!! I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!!!

16. Doug says:

13 out of 15 dogs prefer the taste of Purina
    over the taste of Granny.
    Or so it would appear.

17. pigeon says:

The grandmother is as crazy as her granddaughter. And a 4 yr. old living there is just short of child endangerment if not already considered. Officials need to take a real close look into this situation.
    Neither should be allowed to ever again own any animals; especially in light of the fact there are no records of any vet care, shots, etc. They should NOT be returned. Each should be tested to determine if they are adoptable. If they are put them up for adoption. If they aren’t and can’t be rehabbed then they need to be put down.
    Hope the lady feels better soon.

18. Chris says:

I think the two dogs involved need to be put down, the remainder of dogs placed with someone who can care for them and lock the granddaughter up for animal cruelty and endangering the lives of her grandmother and a 4 year old child. What the hell is wrong with people? Those dogs should not have been near an 84 year old woman let alone a 4 year old child. The fact that the owner is going to fight the charges that the dogs are dangerous after mauling her grandmother almost to the point of death shows just how much of an idiot and self centered a-hole she really is. MORON!!!!

19. Chance says:

You have to treat a dog like a dog. If you let the dog run rampant around the house like they own it.. they will be unpredictable. I’ve known some pretty vicious Chihuahuas and if they only had the size and strength of a pit bull they would be extremely dangerous.

My Pit Bull got bit by a little fluff ball the once and did nothing … It’s the nurture not the nature.

Pit Bulls are for hugs, not thugs🙂

1. Mz.B says:

love it Chance!

20. pitbull lover says:

ITS NOT THE DOG its how the owner treats the dog, how its raised, I wish people would realise PITBULLS are NOT bad animals,. I have had many. and they are very loving animals just like any other dog. you abuse them, beat them, or mis treat them of course the dog is going to defend it self. Look how these pitbulls got there name, From animal abusers, thugs, and people who have them for pets and dont deserve them., i have pitbulls and they are just like a lab, very calm., playfull, and loving. i would not trade them for the world. every one sees or hears about a pit and they automatically think VICIOUS or ATTACK.. WRONG!!!!!!ITS ALL ABOUT HOW THEY ARE TREATED…

1. Jammy Ross says:

pitbull lover
      i agree 100% with you

21. Tammy says:

you idiots…. it has nothing to do with the breed of the dog. If you have a dog in the house that is hungry and has not been treated well what are you going to expect it to do. Rotweillers and pitbulls have a bad name but it has nothing to do with the breed itself it has to do with the person that is raising it they are two of the best breeds of dogs out there and for people to believe that it attacked this poor woman because it is a pitbull is absolutly obserd.

22. whatnow says:

To Gael O – I have a magnet that says the more I learn about men, the more I love my cats – LOL! To urnotfunny and Iva Bolden – you are both absolutely correct. Poor old granny and her 4 dogs didn’t have a change against a granddaughter who was probably abusing her just like she abused those dogs and her own 4 year old. She should lose the dogs, the kid, and have a restraining order placed against her to keep her away from granny.

23. joeturner says:

Isn’t that sweet. A dangerous pit bull named Trinity. I suppose the other one is named Angel.

24. Bitethis says:

The old lady got what she deserved. She didn’t take care of the dogs. They were Hungary and sick.

25. Greg says:

I tend to agree with both sides on specific points, but also each side should recognize where the other is right. Yes pit bulls have been bred for fighting, but that does not make every pit bull vicious. Many of them are raised correctly and are loving animals.

However if they aren’t raised properly, or come from a particularly aggressive line they are much more dangerous than most other dogs. Their bit is not a locking mechanism any dog could do that. The difference is the amount of force that they can bite with. I don’t care what anyone says, if you get attacked by a pomeranian it isn’t going to do that same amount of damage as a pit bull can, it doesn’t have the size or the strength.

With that being said, no not every pit bull should killed or taken away from families, but those who do have one should know the risks. Maybe someone should be more involved for the first couple years to make sure the dog is being trained correctly and treated well. That could stop some of these problems and educate more people about the breed itself

26. randc says:

I blame the idiots that breed animals for money and don’t care who they sell them to. I also blame people that trust animals because they lick you and cuddle in your bed at night. Last but not least, all DOGS should be neutered unless the owner has a license to breed.

27. VWGirl says:

Hi. I would like to clear some things up. Pit Bulls, mastiffs, American bulldogs and Rottweilers are more dangerous breeds than other dogs. This is because they are the only breeds that have the capability to lock their jaws in place once they bite. This is so that prey or enemies cannot escape. This is their biological make-up. It is not because they are bred to fight and kill. Key word in that “Bred”. A dog isn’t born “bred” fight. Come on! Listen to yourselves. Dogs are trained to fight and kill. That’s why when Pits are found fighting, the dog is destroyed and 9 times out of 10, the owner is prosecuted for TRAINING THE DOGS TO FIGHT.

Ok…that’s one thing off my chest. Also, it doesn’t matter what breed the dogs are, if they have puppies they are going to be protective of them. Especially when it comes to other dogs. That’s why the Lab was attacked. It got too close to the puppies (which is should have been separated from anyways) and the parents of the pups attacked because they felt threatened. This happens all the time in the wild people. Animals prey on other animals young. It is up to the mother and father to protect them. At the end of the day, they are ANIMALS people!!!! Natural instincts kick in. Also, any idiot knows that when two dogs are fighting not to get in the middle of it or you will get hurt. It didn’t help for her to get involved. The other dog got killed anyway. If she knew anything about caring for dogs, she would have kept her dogs away from the pit bulls with the litter of puppies. But come on, she is 83 yrs old, she shouldn’t even have that many dogs to begin with. He Granddaughter is a P.O.S. for even putting that on her. I hope she feels horrible. Now more than likely, the two pits are going to be destroyed for protecting their babies. I swear, people are racist no matter which way you look at it aren’t they. If it’s not directed at another group of people, it against a dog breed or something else equally ridiculous.

For the record, those of you are bashing Pit Bulls sound like idiots because you are hating on a doggy. Get a clue. Google it half wits!

And yes, some renters or property owners and what not will not allow Pits. That is a very small handful of them, and it’s because of dumb A$$es such as yourselves that make such a ridiculous law relevant. Oh yeah, and all those a$$holes that train them to fight. They deserve to be eaten a live by their dogs….EATEN ALIVE. I hope they are!

1. brenda walsh says:

Again, that is a myth, there is NO BREED OF DOG with “LOCKING JAWS”

“The jaws of the Pit Bull are functionally
      the same as the jaws of any other breed, and this has been proven via
      expert examination.

The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the
      skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their
      size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is
      no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely
      not evidence for the existence of any kind of ’locking mechanism’ unique
      to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier,
      says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA
      booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)”

2. whatnow says:

I don’t think the Grandmother is an idiot for jumping in the fight. She was trying to save her beloved Lab. You are a racist idiot. Your post is one of the most mindless I have ever seen.

3. hairchick1803 says:

You have been mis-informed…get the facts. There is no “locking jaw”!!!!

4. Coaster says:

Take your own advice and “Google it, half wit!” The so called locking jaw of Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, American Bulldogs and Rottweilers is a myth propigated merely because of their popularity with the media. And goodness knows the media likes to stir up a good myth.

Compare it with the jows of say, a corgi and it might seem so, but, sorry, no. Take your own advice.

5. ha ha (the first) says:

@VWGirl: eh, what? Your comment is so wishy-washy that I can’t figure out which side of the argument you’re on. On the one hand you have some crazy idea that pit bulls have locking jaws, and that you can’t get homeowners/renters insurance if you own a pit bull, but on the other hand you’re calling people a$$holes for mistreating the animals…It’s like you took all the comments from both sides and jumbled them all up on your comment that started of with, “I would like to clear some things up”… like you have ANY facts other than that which you “googled”. Really? What were you thinking?

28. sillyman michaels says:

serves her right.

29. TheyAreOverProtective says:

pitbulls r loyal and unpredictable! That is what makes them dangerous. We kept a pitbull for a family member after their house burnt down and they were finding another place to live. The dog was ok, but I was afraid to be around her unless my husband was home. The dog didn’t really know us so I was afraid it might harm me or my children. Every time anyone knocked on our door she would go crazy barking and jumping up on the door. If she were to get out the door I know she would do damage to the child or adult who was knocking. I just don’t trust the breed because of the over protectiveness. I know of someone’s rottweiler who wouldn’t let you tickle or play with any child around him because he’d think you were hurting them. I personally would be scared that a guest in my home would be attacked/bitten by my pitbull/rottweiler that I owned. They will attack someone to protect their owner.

1. hvillage says:

So you’re saying that a pit bull who had been recently traumatized was placed in the care of someone who didn’t want him in an unfamiliar house without the poeple that love and care for him, he barked at the door and this is what you base your opinion of a breed on? Really? My mom had chihuahuas and they went insane anytime someone so much as knocked on the table, so by your logic, all chihuahuas are nuts and, by the by, not to be trusted because they bark. Who can take that seriously?

1. TheyAreOverProtective says:

No, the dog was like this before she was “traumatized”, They got out of the house early and the dog or the owners were NOT hurt so I doubt she was “traumatized”. She always acted as if she wanted to tear someone apart when their door was knocked on! When we would visit, the dog would have to be put out in the back yard or a bedroom. She was very familiar with my husband, but not with my children or I. All I am saying is that the breed is very protective and are unpredictable around people they don’t know. I am entitled to my opinion!!! And yes Chihuahuas are nuts, my mom also had 1 that for no reason at all wouldn’t let any1 near my daughter. I couldn’t even help my daughter put on her shoes without the dog trying to attack me, and my daughter ended up getting bit a lot of time because she’d try and move the dog away when she’d go crazy about me trying to pick her up. We couldn’t even sit next to my daughter when the dog was on her lap,

2. hvillage says:

No, your opinion of a that particular dog was that it was unpredictable, isn’t that what you mean? Because otherwise you are saying that all beings should be judged based on the behavior of one other of their ilk? Is that what you’re saying?

30. Jammy Ross says:

PITT BULLS , DOBERMANS, ROTTIES.. THEY CAN BE GOOD DOG’S ITS ALL HOW THE OWNER TAKES CARE OF THEM… THATS WHAT MAKE PEOPLE SCARED TO OWN ONE BECAUSE OF THIS MESS.. MY CHILDRENS FATHER HAS THREE DOBERMANS AND THEY ARE PROTECTIVE AND THEY OBSERVE VERY WELL THE ONLY TIME THEY WOULD COME AT YOU IS IF YOU HIT THEM OR ABUSE THEM .. AND A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A PITT BULL AND THE DOG IS SWEET AS CAN BE BECAUSE THE OWNER TAKES CARE OF IT.. DOESNT ABUSE IT OR TREAT THE DOG BAD MOST OF THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THOSE TYPE OF DOGS BECAUSE APPARENTLY THEY GET THE JOB OF WATCHING DOG’S FIGHT OTHER DOG’S IF YOU CAN FEED THE DOG’S PROPERLY OR TAKE CARE OF THEM THEN DONT HAVE THEM .. THERE IS OTHER PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE THEM AND TREAT THEM LIKE THEY ARE THEIR OWN KIDS ….

1. Coaster says:

When I was a teen, we took in a doberman from the humane society. She was the sweetest dog we’d ever had. She wasn’t agressive, though she showed the usual abuse signs of many shelter dogs. Obviously grateful to have a home, the first night we left her entirely alone for a few hours to go out to dinner, she got something from everyone’s room with their scent on it and made a bed out of it right by the door. I felt like I’d abandoned a toddler – never felt so guilty in my life lol.

31. RUSS HARDY says:

LINDA,
    YOU PITBULL LOVERS JUST DON’T GET IT DO YOU. PITBULLS AND ROTTWEILERS ARE THE TOP 2 DOGS WHO LIKE TO KILL PEOPLE. THE SHOULD BE ELIMINATED FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH. THE STATISTICS ARE CLEAR. THOSE 2 BREEDS ARE DANGEROUS. THEY NEED TO GO.

1. Amanda says:

Yes, let’s elimininate the entire breed from the face of the earth for the mistakes of a few. Black males commit the most murders in the US….under your logic should we eliminate them all, too? NO. Just eliminate the ones that do the crimes.

1. hairchick1803 says:

Maybe you should try not just listening to the media. Do your own research and get the facts before you make judgements. I can assure you, you will be suprised. The media only covers stories about these breeds. Don’t assume they are giving you all the right facts.

Do you know as we heard about the radiation in Japan, the people there were being told for a couple weeks that it was nothing to worry about???

Educate yourself before you assume. You know what assuming does, right?

2. hvillage says:

Please provide, for us, your source for these statistics.

1. hvillage says:

…that was for RUSS-I-LEAVE-MY-CAPS-LOCK-ON-TO-MAKE-SURE-YOU-CAN-HEAR-ME.

32. Shelby says:

Obviously this is not the dogs fault. You can pretty much always tell how a dog is being raised by how it acts. Clearly this shows how cruelly the dogs were being treated! The dogs should not be returned, this is where the animals should be placed in loving homes. Clearly they were not getting enough attention with 15 dogs in the house. DO NOT return these dogs. I for one have had a few pit bulls and if you show them love and take good care of them, they are gentle animals. The facts are right there, the dogs were being mistreated and should be put in a better home, not returned to the same people who will just harm them.

33. Ronald G Miner Jr says:

I agree that any breed can be dangerous but lets try a little reality. When’s the last time you heard of another breed mauling someone? Even ratties and shepards can be dangerous, but rarely make news. Pits are unpredictable and get harder to handle the older they become. They need to be ruled a dangerous breed and forced to be muzzled at all times when not at home. No it probably wouldn’t have prevented this attack, but many others could have been. Owners should also be forced to carry high dollar liability insurance to pay victims medical bills and pain and suffering.

1. Coaster says:

If owning a dog at all cost at the outset what it does to own a highly trained dog, for example, a guide dog, or a trained for rescue dog, I’m sure there would be a lot less incidences of people like this with their “throwaway” dogs.

People don’t like to put their money where their mouth is. Being responsible means a long term commitment, and too many are in it for instant gratification. No one wants to “invest in a companion” when they can just “have a dog”, but that would be the answer, wouldn’t it. You want a dog? Fine, it will cost you the training fee up front, the lifetime shots up front, (say 12 years worth average, and refund the difference if they die sooner, and pro rate the rest if they live longer) and for any of the ‘loyalty’ breeds, there is an extra fee of $50 for each child under 10 years old living in the house with the dog. You have to agree not to let it wander loose, to get it spayed or neutered or registered to breed, to take it to the vet regularly. If you don’t, you could lose the animal. Do you still wish to adopt a dog? Sign here.

34. VWGirl says:

Im sorry “What now” is the one who called me a racist! UR ALSO AN IDIOT!!!!!!

35. Elizabeth Barnhart says:

We have a Doberman and he is a sweetheart to us but he would bite if he does not know you, If you BROKE in if you hurt one of us. I wouldn’t even recommend coming up to him with out me introducing you he is very protective of all of us.

But that many dogs in ONE house is insane, and those kind of dogs with a small child and a elderly lady is crazy as well. I dont think common sense was used for much in this situation.

36. randc says:

After reading all of these comments from supposed Pitbull owners, I am appalled that half of you feel that if a Pitbull is trained, loved and fed that it will never attack someone. I hope that you never get involved in a situation where your animal mauls someone because of your ignorance and naivety. If it was your child/family member that was attacked and is now unrecognizable, you would feel different, right?

1. Coaster says:

It isn’t that it will “never attack”. You can’t say that of any dog. It’s that it is less likely to. As likely as most other dogs, if it isn’t mistreated or taught to. The thing with the loyalty breeds is that they ARE bred, for generations, to be so loyal. And because of that inbreeding, sometimes they just snap. And they go from loyal to paranoid attack dog. You are better off with a Pitt mixed with something else, to dilute the inbreeding. You don’t read stories of MUTTS attacking, it’s always pitts, or rotts or chihuahuas, or poodles, or some pure breed. Dilute the bad genes and you solve a lot of issues.

Don’t be stupid, and you solve the rest. Here are some pointers: 1. don’t put a momma dog and her pups loose in a house with other dogs and people 2. don’t let a dog or dogs go unsupervised around children. ever. 3. don’t let a dog go unsupervised around children. ever. really, not for even a minute. 4. see two and three 5. remember to feed and water your dog every day 6. play with the dog 7. the dog is NEVER the child’s responsibility, even if they wanted one. If Little Johnny forgets to feed the dog, the dog DOES NOT go hungry, you, the “adult” feed the dog, and then deal with Little Johnny. 8. Not all dogs like kids. It’s not a “dog thing” 9. Dogs need exercise. If you don’t have a yard, you have to walk it. 10. Expect to take care of a dog for 14 years, at an average cost of $13,000 over the lifetime of the dog. This can triple if you live in certain metropolitan areas.

Lack of funds is no excuse for not providing adequate care for a dog. If the dog’s needs can’t be met, or the person isn’t fully committed to providing the time, energy, and finances that the dog needs then they should not bring that dog into their home, period, no excuses.

37. hairchick1803 says:

I guess the people on here that blame the dog failed to read that they were emaciated – who cares about the breed!!! Any dog that is starving can turn, actually most of them will! I have a rottie and a lab and a lab, both are very good dogs that do not bite! But I would bet if starved, they both would.

Another example of the media bashing a breed (they’ve done it for years – german shepards, rotti’s, etc) Yes, they are strong minded and NEED strong owners. You can’t lock any breed up in a house and not feed it.

And yes, I have done my research. Not google or wickepedia but actual research – most dogs tuen on people from being neglected! Emaciated proves my point!

38. dubv says:

It is sad that pit bull breed advocates have rounded the bend and are now mashing the gas towards crazy town. It is because so many are the strange “fur mommie” types who learned everything about nature from Disney movies and skipped the semester where they covered genetics. Some of their debating points will be undermined if they admit this truth that every pit owner should know: after a bulldog and terrier were crossed to form the “bull and terrier” (the ancestor of the pit bull) the main selection pressure by breeders was to create a breed to fight other dogs. This is true of all the breeds collectively called “pit bulls”. It is in the historical record, it is recognized by the AKC and the UKC, it is in nearly all semi-objective dog breed books, it is even recognized by some of the more responsible pit bull advocate groups. This selection pressure over more than 100 years has created a breed whose average temperament tends toward dog-directed aggression, is incredibly tenacious or “game”, and also has a dangerous bite-hold-shake style of attack. If you dispute this you are either lying or are so misinformed that you are by definition an irresponsible owner.

1. ha ha says:

Please provide your sources. I love the well read ones who can pass as factual. Prove it.

39. Thomas Harmon says:

I have followed dog attacks for years since to Pitt Bulls broke through a chain link fence and attacked my German Shepherd and I . We were 15 feet from the fence . I had 31 punctures . Since all of the people commenting on this have computers do a search for dog attacks . Pitt Bulls are first in attacks and deaths and Rotts are second . If they are not vicious breeds and it is bad owners then why are bad people buying these breeds . Perhaps we should require psychological testing for these owners .

1. ha ha says:

Plead provide your sources for this information.

1. ha ha says:

*Please

40. Mz.B says:

Yet another Pit bull attack story where the only thing some people pay attention to is the eye catching line “Pit Bull Attack” Starving sick dogs attacked! Had it been the lab we wouldn’t be reading this!!!! Sure as hell hope this idiot owner doesn’t ever get to own, abuse or neglect another animal!

41. Denise Price says:

Pit bulls should be outlawed from residential neiborhoods. Tell a parent of a child that has been maulded how lovable the are. And to the idiots that own them, God forbid they attack one of your own kids or your own dumb a…..

1. ha ha says:

Please present your factual evidence along with sources so we can all be enlightened.

42. Coaster says:

I would guess that the dogs were returned to the granddaughter because the grandmother did not press charges. Although the granddaughter mistreated all eleven of her dogs, and it’s possible that in the future, other charges may come up regarding the welfare of her own child because of this, she did or will, pay the fines. Unless the grandmother presses charges, that’s all that can happen. It’s so sad for her that her own dog was killed in this incident, and if she lives through her ordeal, how difficult it will be for her to go home and face her granddaughter knowing that it was her neglect that caused this.

By that, I mean that grandmother’s dog probably was attacked because it got too close to one of those starving puppies and was attacked by momma dog. They should have been kept separate all along, and knowing how loyal and protective Pitts are, granddaughter should have been a little more caring about the humans in her life. What if it had been her daughter that had gotten in the middle of the dog fight, and not her grandmother? Would she still be fighting the charges if her daughter had been attacked and most likely died due to her smaller size? Some people have their priorities up their asterisks.

43. Isabell Letronia says:

Hoarder. Definately. I resent the comment women are hoarders since the illness runs in BOTH sexs thank you! Not ecven going to comment about the dogs breed. I have pit bulls and they are good family dogs if bred, raised and trained properly. You got puppies and 15 dogs in one house somethings going to give. Imagine the smell. ICK!

44. Sarah Sams says:

also check out this website to see actual akc temperement test on all breeds. its very interesting and it can educate a few of the fools out there who get their opinions from the media http://www.atts.org/statistics.html

1. ha ha says:

Excellent! Thank you for actually providing some kind of source for information! I hear a lot of dog bashing but no one can or will provide a URL or a credible source for their “statistics”. according to this, the breeds that failed more often than not (excluding the breeds where they only tested up to 10 dogs giving either 100% or 0% pass), were bearded collies. Hmm… not pit bulls, Rottweilers or dobermans. well, then.

45. Leanna Carpenter says:

That’s what she gets for hoarding animals. I mean really, they’re all probably in there running around trying to find food and fight for their survival. And they’ve become aggresive enough to take down anyone who is in their way. It’s the nature of all dogs, not just pit bulls. It sickens me to see only pit bull attacks on the news when I’m sure someone right now as we speak is getting attacked by a golden retriever or a german shepherd. It’s the way of dogs, not just the breed. I’m not saying they are the best dogs in the world. I’m just saying that before someone breeds or adopts a pit bull, they better do their research on how they are going to train that dog to not attack people. If not trained, they’ll do it. Those dogs get ticked off pretty easily. It’s just sad how steryotypical people are these days. I’ve met plently of sweet and loving pit bulls.

46. barbara mills says:

good thing the dog didnt have a gun they couldve have blamed gun laws on him too!we had a pit bull for 15 years and he was a wonderful loving friend whom i would gladly trade back for idiots who say they were born to kill!

47. JET says:

You never see anything about a Poodle killing another dog !! Pit Bulls are only wanted for one thing- to attack. Makes the owner feel BIG to walk their Pit Bull around. Now where’s my attack Poodle ?

48. Janet Spink says:

I agree with all the fine comments that say the owners of agreesive pitbulls are the blame. My sister has a pitbull that was mistreated as a puppy. It is the most loving and loyal dog I have seen. We need a law that bans owners like this from having animals at all. Other states do. We are so far behind in animal laws compared to other states. But then again when I see an animal abuser get rewards for having a cold and everyone knows who that is, it is not suprising.

49. Baltimoredogdays says:

Ok really people. I am a license and trained Dog trainer from an accredited school. As many of you stated it is the human that makes a dog the way a dog is. Pit Bulls are one of the most loyal and easiest dogs to train to due their drive to always please their alpha. I am rescued and rehabilitated Pit Bulls to from aggression to being child/baby friendly. You hear more about the negative actions by Pit Bulls as of the society we live in only reporting the negative aspects of any situation especially when it involves a Pit Bull.

50. kacie says:

that is so sad but it is not heathers fault that it happened she has adorable baby and she should not have to go through all of this stuff i m so sorry for u god bless your sole

51. sklepy internetowe gdańsk says:

tnxfor this article well i was searching for similararticle for weeks, thank you!