Opponents To Petition In-State Tuition For Immigrants

BALTIMORE (WJZ)— Should illegal immigrants living in Maryland be allowed in-state tuition breaks? The Maryland General Assembly says yes, approving it this month.

Political reporter Pat Warren reports a petition for a referendum is underway.

Living the dream. After more than four years of trying, supporters of in-state tuition for undocumented students succeeded in their drive to get legislative go-ahead.

“I have to pay the out-of-state just for being the children of illegal immigrants,” said one.

The General Assembly passed and Governor O’Malley has said he will sign a bill giving those children the right to in-state rates at community colleges as a steppingstone into the university system.

But opponents of the measure are trying to get enough signatures on a petition to put the matter before the voters in the 2012 election.

“The proponents are saying ‘We want to make Maryland better, we want them to have professional jobs,’” said Del. Patrick McDonough, R- Baltimore County. “Well, NSA, Johns Hopkins, no professional organization is going to hire anyone who is here illegally. You can get jobs as nannies and landscapers and at restaurants, but I guarantee you, Johns Hopkins is going to check your lawful status.”

Aude Negrete worked hard to get the bill passed. She’s a member of Casa de Maryland, an immigrant outreach group. She’s confident the measure will withstand the attack.

“It’ll benefit a lot of students and eventually also the community because we’ll have more people educated, contributing to the economy, paying taxes and staying in Maryland so I can see so many benefits to it and I understand it so well that I’m not really worried about it,” Negrete said.

But opponents believe federal law is on their side.

“Now they say maybe they’ll change the federal law someday but we don’t go by maybe, the Nostradamus crystal ball thing- the law is the law,” McDonough said.

The General Assembly has done all it can do to guarantee in-state tuition for undocumented students. Now we’ll see if the voters undo what the lawmakers have done.

It would take around 53,000 verified signatures to put the issue on the ballot.

More from Pat Warren
Comments

1. Sheriff willie says:

To the manner in which this legislation was shoved down our throats is gall to begin with but illegal is illegal & no matter how you paint it, they are breaking the law. Let them become citizens first then offer them in state tuition. Have them all show up on campus & bust them & their illegal parents & ship them back to Mexico. They’re all laughing right now & think Maryland is the “Disney world” for illegals. We are fools. Anywhere else in the world & we would all be locked up but for them it’s drivers license, housing medical & now education.STOP STOP!

2. Doug says:

How dare our government cater to illegals.
    They’ve twisted the word illegal,so that now you are rewarded for being lawless.

3. Wake up Md says:

They have more rights in this state then a person whos parents are born here pay a lifetime worth of taxes and then have to send there kid out of state for an education because an illegal will get handed to them what they have no rights too. Typical Maryland liberal BS!!!!!

1. FEED UP! says:

They are parasites!

4. Cindy says:

Where can I sign the petition? I was outraged when I heard the legislature had pushed this thru @ the 11th hour. I am middle aged, unemployed and doing everything I can do to find a job that pays a decent wage. (enough to keep a roof over my head). And these stupid politicians are worried about kids of illegal aliens getting an education? We can’t even give a decent public school education to our kids. An illegal’s is the least of my concerns.

5. FEED UP! says:

I’ve already started my Petition and got 27 signatures in one day. People are OUTRAGED that this bill was passed. I would like to urge EVERYONE to log onto the on-line Petition page and get signatures. The website says that only 35,000 are needed, not the 53,000. I have a feeling if everyone got involved that over 100,000 signatures would be received and we can then vote on this as a State of Citizens and not a bunch of Casa de Maryland Traitors! If we don’t take a stand against these traitors now, they will take over this State completely. They are not the same as us and they never will be as long as they are criminals. My CASA is NOT YOUR CASA! CASA de Maryland needs to go back to the Boarder where why belong.

6. bmoregyrl says:

tell where to go and sign the petition because I want to sign it.

7. Brian says:

sign as many patitions as you like.Do you think it will make any difference to O Malley.

8. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

WHERE CAN PEOPLE SIGN THIS PETITION? I AM SURE THAT THEY WILL HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH SIGNATURES THAN NECESSARY. I HOPE PROOF OF AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED. THIS KIND OF FREE GIVE AWAYS TO ILLEGAL ALIENS IS AGAINST THE LAWS WRITTEN IN THE BOOKS!! REMEMBER YOUR FAVORITE ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE WHEN ELECTION TIME ROLLS AROUND. SEE IF THEY ANSWER QUESTIONS REGUARDING ISSUES LIKE THIS ONE WHEN THEY HAVE THEIR COMMUNITY FORUMS PRIOR TO ELECTION. VOTE THEM OUT!! PUT AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WITH COMMON SENSE . REMEMBER THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OUT WEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW OR THE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. andy botwin says:

so my daughter who lives in pennsylvania has to pay more for tuition than an illegal immigrant does that sound fair to anyone ? hell no!

10. andy botwin says:

its time to take this country back from the foreign invaders ! everyone needs to fight this invasion, this countrydoes have a limit to how much burden it can handle and we are at it !! fight back!

11. Guest2 says:

The State of Maryland pays out 4 Billion dollars a year for the illegals but honest citizens have a problem getting anything in Maryland but a tax bill. I hope that they get triple the number of signatures on the petition and have the voters to undo what the politicans and Casa de Maryland have done. It’s time to send all of the illegals packing. If the Hispanics are citizens, they should be guarding their progatives and citizenship closely and not harboring the illegals. If the clergy are aiding and abetting the illegals, they should be tried and inprisoned just like any ordinary citizens. When the voters overturn what the politicans have done, it’s time to get rid of those politicans through the ballot box or impeachment. That would also include the governor. He is an attorney and should know better as to the laws for being an illegal in this Country.

12. Debbie says:

Where do we sign? I can’t wait.

13. Derf says:

Another example of liberal polititians who think they know better than the people who elect them. C’mon people! Don’t you think it’s about time we clean house in Annapolis & take back our rights.

14. overtaxed says:

WJZ’s slant, and Pat Warren’s as well, is a terrible thing. “Living the dream”…please! Our leaders, that is to say Maryland Democrats, have come to expect that WJZ, and other liberally slanted press organizations will NOT call out the criminals in Annapolis for what they are.

Guest 2, I hear you loud and clear, but the reason these DEMOCRATIC politicians in this state can do any shady or outright illegal act because the propaganda machines such as WJZ will spin these issues to cast a caring, positive light on the actions of the Culture of Corruption.

15. Someone who READS says:

You are all idiots! Read the bill before you comment on it! It clearly states they have to graduate after 4 years from an accredited MD high school, cannot have a criminal record, and must attend a Community College for 2 years paying foreign tuition THEN be accepted by a public college to get the in-state tuition. Why keep kids who want to better themselves uneducated because their parents may not have come here in the most ideal way?
    The internet is the worst thing ever accessed by ignorant people!

1. overtaxed says:

If you read what has been reported, then you would know that another requirement is that thier parents (here illegally) would have to have paid taxes for 3 years. How can that happen without SSN?

Can you read the word “illegal”?

Because their parents may not have come here in the most ideal way…Try millions of illegals flooding our nation ILLEGALLY.

Stop spinning, if you can read so well then you can also realize that your spin is twisting reality

Another liberal with head in rear end.

PC ideaology will be the death of us.

16. Jacob Jones says:

I will be glad to sign the Petition. This a is a case of our elected officals looking to get these illegals here so that the legal family members of the boarder jumpers will remember what they did and vote for them when it comes time. Read what else I have to say at http://www.whiteword.net.

17. DIana says:

I have a child in college that has received letters from the Maryland Higher Education Fund saying that he is eligible for state funds to assist with his higher education, however there was no money available for the state of Maryland to provide the funds to assist them. I am an American citizen, as are my children, and their father. I have LEGALLY resided in Maryland since I was a baby. I have paid taxes to the state of Maryland for more than 30 years. I struggle financially to keep my child in college at the University of Maryland and feel it is unjust for ILLEGAL immigrants to receive the same in state college tuition rates that we receive LEGALLY. I would certainly get in line to be one of the 53,000 required signatures, just tell me where to go and what I need to bring to have my signature verified. I have read the bill and do understand the conditions that the illegal immigrant students would have to meet, but still do not agree with the bill.

18. Linda says:

I will sign the petition!!!

19. Laurie Whisman says:

Where do I sign ??

20. Jerry says:

I was born and raised in MD in the 60’s and 70’s before I left for the Army. I loved my State and still do. Unfortunatly I was forced to take Texas State Residency because Maryland was taxing me to death. I keep up with what goes on in MD and especially Baltimore because thats where I grew up. It pains me to see the road the state has taken. It was well on its way when I left and is 100 times worse today. These tax, tax and tax some more Dems make me sick. Especially now with this bill passed I am disgusted. I hope the people of Maryland will wise up and stop voting these Dems in.

21. Can says:

Tell your facebook friends and provide them with the petition link.