Middle River Train Tracks Will Soon Be Fenced Off

MIDDLE RIVER, Md. (WJZ) — A heavy, eight-foot high steel fence designed to keep people off of train tracks is headed to the Middle River area.

As Gigi Barnett explains, it’s more than two miles of fence that one family asked for after a tragic train accident.

They’re fast, silent and, for Tara Stickel’s 14-year-old daughter, Anna, Amtrak’s high-speed trains were deadly.

“It did hit her from behind.  She turned around last second when she noticed her friend running off the tracks,” said Tara Stickel.

Anna’s memorial isn’t far from where the train struck her.  The accident happened in January 2010 when Anna and another friend were walking to school at Kenwood High.  The girls decided to take a shortcut and walk on the train tracks.  Tara Stickel says it’s a common practice in the area, but now Amtrak plans to build an eight-foot steel fence to keep teens out.

Stickel fought for the fence and was told no at first, but this week, the rail company decided to build it.  In a statement, Amtrak spokeswoman Danelle Hunter says, “This is not in direct response to Anna Stickel’s death but Amtrak is installing the fence to deter access to the railroad tracks and we are hoping in conjunction with public awareness that this will deter public access to the tracks.”

“I think it’s something they should have done a long time ago,” Stickel said. “I think that kids are going to be safer.  I think it’s going to save a life.”

Amtrak also plans to place more “No Trespassing” signs near the tracks, too.  The company says the first phase of the fence will begin in the next few days.

Comments

1. John says:

Good for you Sheriff…that’s telling them….Hip…Hip…HORAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

2. Jen says:

I feel bad for her friends and family and It made alot of people sad when she died.

And I am glad that they are putting up a fence up in that area with no trespassing signs. But I don’t think that they are going to work. I would hope that it will work I just don’t think that it will.

My mom grew up in that area and there is a fence at certain areas with signs and when she was growing up alot of her friends or friends of her friends knew people that would just cut into the fence and dis obey the signs and walk on the tracks anyway.

3. TSinNottingham says:

I’ll take bets that within 2 weeks of the final section being connected, holes will be cut in the fence for ATV’s and ‘dumb’ short cut takers.

1. George M Hopkins says:

you are so wright

4. George M Hopkins says:

lets put he fence at the boarder then we will not have to pay instate tuition. also all you have to bdo is not stand between the tracks when the train comes just step aside

5. Jeff says:

I’m so glad! When this happened I contacted Dutch Ruppersberger to have something done about this. Great news!

6. scott says:

“other kids in the same school use these tracks as a shortcut”…..my oops…..

7. Local says:

As we all know Miss Stickel actually wanted a bridge over the tracks! So the lazy kids would not have to take the long way to school. This country need better parenting who keep in touch with their kids!

8. Local says:

Oh kids don’t know train can hurt when they run then over? Dah. Lack of parenting I say. He mom had to know she was taking a short cut. Give a break!

9. Local says:

I agree with the sheriff!

10. sheriff says:

Scott, There are none so blind as those that refuse to see & shall remain ignorant & stupid if they are unwilling to learn. I blame the parents & the schools for not having better education in these safety issues. It’s no different than using seat belts. It takes time & education & eventually people will adapt. All the signs in the world will do nothing buddy boy except say “F…..k U & encourage risky behavior. I know Middle River & it is a lower socio economic blue collar even bordering on ignorant with all the drunks & drug use because that’s the way it’s always been so no need to change. You have to present it over & over so that breaking the law seems ignorant & makes one look bad in front of their peers. You won’t find this behavior in upscale Howard co, Fairfax Va, Montgomery co. As for bashing people numb nuts, I prefer to call it constructive criticism & I also don’t drink or do drugs. I read, something you & those blue noses of Middle River should try.

11. RDNKKKGRL says:

#1 SHERIFF ANNA WAS A GOOD KID THEY MISSED THE BUS THAT DAY N DIDNT WANNA B LATE FOR SCHOOL SO THEY TOOK A SHORT CUT NO HARM IN THAT WEVE BEEN CUTTING ACROSS THOSE RR TRACKS SINCE I WAS PROBABLY ABOUT 10 YRS OLD YEAH MY PARENTS PROHIBITED IT BUT THEN WE DID IT ANY WAY AS FOR PEOPLE IN MIDDLE RIVER ID MUCH RATHER LIVE THERE W/ALL THE DOWN TO HOME REDNECK HILLBILLIES THAN NEAR AN IGNORANT ASS LIKE UR SELF U THINK UR SOOO MIGHTYER THAN THOU WEN UR REALLY NOT OUR BLOOD BLEEDS RED JUST LIKE URS DOES U PROBABLY DONT EVEN HAVE CHILDREN AN THATD GOERGE EVEN IF UR STANDING NEXT TO THE RR TRACKS WEN THERE GOING THAT FAST THEY CAN ALWAYS SUCK U UNDER!!!

12. RDNKKKGRL says:

OH AND BY THE WAY WHO CARES HOW MANY LIQUOR STORES ARE IN MIDDLE RIVER WHICH ARENT MANY LETS SEE THERES MIDDLE RIVER INN,BAKERS,THE OLD TRIANGLE,BERNIES LIQUORS,SKIPS(NOW CHECKERED FLAG)TAVERN,AND OAK GROVE LIQUORS AND THATS GOING FROM OLD EASTERN AVE UNDER THE OVERPASS NO ACTUALLY THATS GOING FROM BENGIES ALL THE WAY UP TO 40 AND MIDDLE RIVER RD……………BIG DEAL WATS THAT GOT TO DO W/THE PRICE OF EGGS IT WASNT LIKE SHE WAS DRINKIN OR ANYTHING AND SO WAT WETHER IT B A BRIDGE OR A HUGE IRON FENCE THEY NEED IT AND YA’LL R PROBABLY RIGHT SOMEONE WILL EVENTUALLY USE BOLT CUTTERS ON IT BUT RIGHT NOW IF U GET CAUGHT ON AMTRAK PROPERTY WHICH IS FEDERAL PROPERTY ULL GET HUGELY FINED BUT IF U GET CAUGHT CUTTING OR CROSSING OR EVEN WALKING OR RIDING ON THAT PROPERTY ONCE THE FENCE IS UP AND MORE SIGNS ARE POSTED ITS NOT ONLY A FINE BUT ITS DEFINITE JAIL TIME!!!

13. Gene says:

I have to agree with Scott here “sheriff” and I’m sure your God and your church didn’t teach you to be so hateful and stuckup in your so called upscale town. But then again, maybe it did.

1. sheriff says:

Gene, we can agree to disagree. The people who walk those tracks are lazy & have done it for generations. The lack of education & pride in the community is what is suffering here. I grew up next to railroad tracks, I know. Trains today are quieter & faster but the kids are naive & ignorant & it’s their parents & schools fault for not educating them. Daddy would be rather at the liquor store than teaching his kids.

14. JW says:

The finger pointing is useless, the point is it was a tragedy and i myself lost a friend there many years ago that true,should had known better,no matter what the age whether 10-100,can people not read the signs and it is up to parents to educate our children,if anyone on here says that they never disobeyed there parents not even once while growing up ,they r liars. i really hope the fence idea works but we also need to tell our children. i have a 14 year old son and live close to the tracks and he knows not to go near them ,not putting the blame by no means but Amtrak had fences up and like her they continued to cross the tracks, if you have a fence around your yard ,what is one of the reasons? to keep people out ? so please if you have children dont ask them tell them!!

15. Jerry Johnson says:

I grew up with railroad tracks bordering my backyard and yes, I occasionally went out there. But the railroad’s right-of-way was securely fenced and made access extremely difficult. Getting killed by a train is a horrible death, or via any railroad accident, whether at a railroad crossing or on the tracks. Prevention is worth a puound of cure!