15-Year-Old Graduates From University Of Baltimore

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — He started kindergarten at the age of three and has been on the fast track ever since.  Now a teen from Montgomery County is a college graduate.

Jessica Kartalija has more.

Ty Hobson-Powell isn’t old enough to drive a car yet, but he has certainly accelerated in other areas.

“I’m a graduate and now an alumni at the University of Baltimore,” he said.

Hobson-Powell made history as the youngest person ever to graduate from the university.

“Walking across the stage, hearing that applause—it felt really good inside,” he said.

“It was uproarious when they applauded for Ty when he came on the stage,” said Quinn Hobson-Powell, brother.

His biggest fans were his family, who watched proudly from their seats at the Lyric Opera House.

“I couldn’t believe that he was actually graduating from college at the age of 15 with a triple concentration in interdisciplinary studies.  That’s not something that a 15-year-old does every day,” Quinn Hobson-Powell said.

“Yesterday was one of my proudest moments, aside from when I gave birth to my three children,” said Elizabeth Hobson-Powell.

When he’s not studying, he’s shooting hoops with friends or spending time with family.

“He inspires me to be a good person and go to college early and do my work,” said Reid Hobson-Powell, sister.

Ty insists he’s just a regular kid with a little extra academic oomph.

“My parents knew I was ready for it, I knew I was ready for it.  I was prepared, I was socially and academically ready and I felt like I needed more of a challenge,” he said.

So where does he go from here?  Ty tells us his next step is to go to law school, followed by medical school.

Ty says his only disappointment was giving  up his childhood dream of playing college basketball.

More from Jessica Kartalija
Comments

1. CPL says:

Now this is newsworthy!! Congratulations to Ty, you are truly inspirational to all youth who have a dream🙂

2. Kelly says:

Great accomplishment, I know his family is very proud of him!!!

3. susan says:

WELL DONE & CONGRATS!

4. Rene Talino says:

No that is AWESOME!!! Great news and what an amazing accomplishment!!! Good luck in your future Ty!!!!

5. Claudia says:

Congratulations ! may God continue to protect, direct and guide your bright future.

6. MICHELE says:

WELL DONE & CONGRATS!!!!!

7. BARBARA says:

Congratulations Ty, What an amazing accomplishment. I’m sure that your family and friends are very proud of you. The Lord has truly Blessed you. You are such an example to other young people. I pray that God will continue to pour out His Blessings upon you. Keep up the Good Work!!

8. mattie says:

CONGRATULATION MR. TY…….!!!! GLORY BE TO JEHOVAH GOD ! JESUS CHRIST AND THE HOLY SPIRIT FOR SO…RICHLY BLESSING THIS YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN BROTHER WITH GODLY KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM.

IT IS WONDERFUL TO WITNESS THAT A NEWS STATION HAS TAKEN NOTICE THAT THERE ARE YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN YOUTHS THAT ARE GENIUS TOO !!!!!!

THERE ARE A LOT OF AFRICAN AMERICAN SMART YOUNG PEOPLE THAT WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS, SUPPORT AND GIVEN OPPORTUNITIES, THEY TOO CAN REACH THEIR GOLDS IN LIFE !

I BLAME THE MEDIA NEWS COVERAGE STORIES FOR AIRING ALL THE KILLINGS OF YOUNG BLACK MEN ALL THE TIME, AND THE LACK OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT HERE IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND FOR NOT DEVELOPING A STAY SMART PROGRAM THAT WOULD BE SPECIALLY DESIGN FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND.

THERE SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOW ANY TYPE OF GANG ACTIVITIES IN STATE OF MARYLAND PERIOD !!
    THERE ARE TOO MANY YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN KIDS THAT WANT TO BE ALL THEY CAN BE, BUT DUE TO THEIR SITUATIONS ARE ONLY GIVE LIMITATIONS AND ENDANGERMENT THAT KILLS THE EDUCATION GROWTH TO SO MANY COULD BE GREAT AFRICAN AMERICAN KIDS.

SO NOW LOOK AT THE MESS !! THERE IS A NEED FOR STRONG SUPPORTIVE EDUCATIONAL AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS THAT WOULD EXCHANGE GUNS AND DRUGS FOR COLLEGE DEGREE AND JOB TRAINING, ALONG WITH TEEN HOUSING PROGRAMS THAT WOULD ENABLE THOSE SAME KIDS TO START AND RUN THEIR OWN BUSINESSES , THAT TYPE OF NEW LIFE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES WOULD GENERATE MILLIONS OF TAX DOLLARS BACK INTO OUR STATE AND ECONOMY .THOSE TYPE OF NEW SMART PROGRAMS WOULD KILL THE GANGS AND DRUG DEALERS ORGANIZATIONS IN DESTROYING OUR YOUNG PEOPLE. JUST THINK ABOUT IT, THE GRAVE YARDS AND THE JAIL HOUSE WOULD STOP BEING OVER FLOODING WITH SO MANY CRIME CASES !!!!! IF ONLY THESE KIDS HAVE STRONG HOPE OF BECOMING BETTER PEOPLE IN ORDER TO UP-GRADE THEIR PERSONAL LIVES.

1. josh says:

You’ve got to be kidding me? god didn’t bless him. This kid worked hard for his education.

If god is responsible for his success, isn’t god also responsible for the failures of other children? C’mon.

1. WHAT says:

GOD does bless every child and person, its what you do with the blessings that guide your life. This kid took his blessing and ran with it. Good job. Keep up the good work and thanks for showing other kids and people to do something with their blessings is the way to go.

2. pigeon says:

And in addition to what Mattie and WHAT had to say, God is a proper pronoun so when you use that word please use proper spelling by beginning His name with a capitol G. Thank you.

3. mac says:

josh,

you need to repent and give your twisted double mind to GOD……

YOU ARE CONFUSE,

2. whatnow says:

The key is parents that care, not more of my tax money. Congrats to this absolutely amazing young man. I’m sure we will hear much more from him in the future.

3. urnotfunny says:

PLEASE lady, get off of your soap box. This kid is amazing, don’t come on here with your BS. It’s always about a handout with people like you. Give this, give that and kids will have a better life. People need to take responsibility at home and not expect the taxpayer to supply funds so that there kids do the right thing. You are really barking up the wrong tree here, not the venue. The only thing you should have said, should have been stopped in the first sentence. Congratulations to an amazing young man, you had to bring race into didn’t you!!!

9. AJ's Mom says:

Go boy, i know thats right!!! About time we got some good news on here.

10. MommyOf3 says:

Congrats!!! I hope other young people see this and follow in your foot steps. You are a great role model. God Bless you and keep up the good work!!!

11. Bernadette Lyles says:

Talk about beating the odds!!!! Just mad it’s not a headline story! smh

12. pigeon says:

Way to go young man – you are proof that it can be done. Congrats and may God keep your back as you go through life. You are blessed as is your family!
    I would like for all parents and teachers let their children know it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from, if you set your sights straight and follow that path you will succeed.

13. lola says:

Congratulations, young man! As a 21-year-old college student, I admire you! Way to make something of yourself!

14. johnsonj3@ says:

Congrats to Mr. Ty and his family.

15. Denise says: