Transgender Women’s Basketball Player At GW Quits Team

WASHINGTON (CBS/AP) – The openly transgender member of the George Washington women’s basketball team, whose groundbreaking season was cut short by a pair of concussions, says he won’t play in his senior year.

The school announced that Kye Allums “has decided that it is in his best interest to no longer participate in intercollegiate athletics.”

“I alone came to this conclusion,” Allums said in a statement released by the university, “and I thank the athletic department for respecting my wishes.”

The statement offered no further details, although GW said Allums has enrolled in classes for the fall semester. Allums did not immediately respond to an email request for an interview Wednesday.

Allums made international headlines when he announced before the start of the season in November that he preferred to be known as a man. He said he was putting off hormone treatments and gender-changing surgery so that he could continue to play for the women’s team.

“GW has been supportive during this transition. This means a lot. I didn’t choose to be born in this body and feel the way I do. I decided to transition, that is change my name and pronouns because it bothered me to hide who I am, and I am trying to help myself and others to be who they are. I told my teammates first, and they, including my coaches, have supported me. My teammates have embraced me as the big brother of the team. They have been my family, and I love them all,” Allums said then.

“The George Washington University women’s basketball program, including myself, support Kye’s right to make this decision,” coach Mike Bozeman said in a statement after the November announcement.

But Allums suffered two concussions early in the season and played in only eight games. He told The Associated Press in March that he has had suffered a total of eight concussions, that he was having memory problems and that he was unsure whether he would be cleared medically to play his senior season. He said doctors told him that if he were a football player, his playing days would certainly be over.

“I’m a fighter. I’m still trying to come back,” he said at the time. “I really do want to come back and play.”

In 45 games for the Colonials, Allums average 6.4 points-per-game including a career high of 21 points against La Salle in January 2010.

According to the university, Allums is still enrolled and is registered for the fall semester at the Washington, D.C. campus.

(Copyright 2011 – The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Bmore Resident says:

The article says she’s a transgendered woman, so why does the article consistently use male pronouns to reference this young woman? Get it right before you publish.

2. CD says:

@Bmore Resident Because “she” says that she prefers to be known as a MAN! She is transgendering to a MAN not a woman. She is putting off the hormone treatments and gender-altering surgery for now so she can continue to play for the women’s team. Maybe YOU should read better before YOU make comments. Hmmm?

1. Bmore Resident says:

I confess..I stopped reading the article after encountering the male pronouns. I read down to where explanation, but stopped again because the situation being described made absolutely no sense!!! You have a MtF transgendered person who is playing as a MALE of an all female basketball team who wishes to still be referred to as a MAN until after SRS!?! That’s just crazy from ALL directions. I apologize from my ignorant accusation, but not for calling all those involved with this madness crazy.

3. Kim says:

Transgender doesn’t have to do with a person’s sexuality, it has to do with their identify… I think.

4. Robert says:

So a man, who desires to be a woman, but is still genetically a man was somehow allowed to play on the woman’s basketball team and has since quit. Why is this news?

When I grew up, women played on women teams and men played on the men’s teams. The real story here is why was this man entitled to play on a women’s team?

1. Robert says:

Which also confuses me with the man that was beat up in the McDonald’s in Rosedale the other week. The headline said “Transgender Woman gets assaulted at a local McDonalds”. Shouldn’t the story say “Man in drag got beat up by two younger women at a local McDonald’s”?

This transgender business is just bull.

1. Das Jamie Erfahrung says:

Sorry but you need to understand what being Transgendered is before you make ignornat comments. In the Rosedale attack, it was not a man in drag. Drag Queen and Transgender do NOT mean the same thing.

2. Robert says:

Ignornat… Am I truly being Ignornat !?!

Thank the Lord, because I was trying my best not to sound ignorant.

2. antoinette shorter says:

I could be wrong but I think that it’s a woman desiring to be a man but putting it on the back burner for the time being.

3. CD says:

No, a woma who desires to be a man was allowed to play on the womens basketball team!

5. whatnow says:

AAAACCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!! WHAT HAVE WE BECOME????????????????

6. mattie says:

I BE SO…….GLAD WHEN JESUS CHRIST RETURN IN THE FLESH THIS SECOND TIME TO BRING IN JEHOVAH GOD RIGHTEOUS KINGDOM AND ORDERS AT THIS NOW END TIME TO END ALL SINS AND EVIL !!

ENOUGH OF THIS CRAZY UN-NATURAL MESS IS ENOUGH !!!

THE TRANSGENDER MEN AND WOMEN THING HAS GONE TOO FAR, AND IS NOW GETTING WAY OUT OF CONTROL.

THE ALMIGHTY GOD NEVER TOLD JESUS CHRIST TO CREATE NO MAN THINKING, ACTING AND FEELING TO BELIEVE THE LIE ONLY MADE BY SATAN THE DEVIL POISON TO BE THE OPPOSITE SEX WHEN ANY BABY IS BORN ! THAT IS A TOTAL LIE.

ANY ONE THAT AGREE TO THAT ABOMINATION AND GO AGAINST GOD’S COMMANDMENTS/ LAWS WILL BE DESTROYED. GOD IS MAD AT SEEING ALL THE SINFUL TRASH THAT PEOPLE HAVE LEFT THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE WITH THEIR CREATOR AND LOVE AND HONOR SATAN THE DEVIL WITH ALL THEIR HEART AND SOUL.

THIS IS HEARTLESS EVIL, UN-NATURAL SATANIC DARK SPIRITS WITH REPROBATED MINDS

2nd THESSALONIANS 2:11 ( READ ) …. FOR THIS REASON GOD SENDS THEM A POWERFUL DELUSION SO THAT THEY WILL BELIEVE THE LIE.

THE WORLD IS NOW WITNESSING THE ACTIONS OF THIS LOST GENERATION, GOD BIBLICAL END TIME PROPHECIES FORE WARN ALL PEOPLE OF THE TRUE LIVING GOD TO BEWARE OF THINGS AND PEOPLE THAT ARE AND HAVE BECOME UN-NATURAL BEINGS.

ROMANS 1:24, 28 AND GENESIS 6: 5, ETC..

I FEAR FOR ALL PEOPLE THAT ARE UNDER THE CURSE OF SATAN THAT HAVE BEEN MISLEAD INTO SELF DESTRUCTION AND IS A ENEMY OF THE GOD THAT GIVE ALL HUMAN BEINGS LIFE.

UN-LESS THE TWISTED CONFUSE MISLEAD PEOPLE REPENT OF ALL OF THEIR UN-NATURAL SINS, ALL SINS. I FEAR THEY WILL NEVER SEE JEHOVAH GOD, JESUS CHRIST ETERNAL KINGDOM WHEN JESUS CHRIST RETURN THIS SECOND TIME. IT’S TIME EVERYONE IN THIS WORLD REPENT AND PRAY FOR GOD TO HELP AND PROTECT US ALL. ” LOVE GOD”

THIS IS BAD AND VERY WRONG. WHERE IN THE HOLY BIBLE CAN YOU FIND NOT WITH IN THE 66 BOOKS IS THERE NO TYPE OF ANY PROOF THAT GOD GAVE JESUS PERMISSION TO CREATE A BABY THAT WAS HALF MALE AND HALF FEMALE !!!

PROVE IT !!!!! THERE NEVER HAVE AND THERE NEVER WILL BE ANY REAL FACTS THAT WILL SUPPORT BEING GAY IS OK. THAT’S A LIE, SATAN IS THE FATHER OF ALL LIES AND HUMAN DESTRUCTION TO THE HUMAN SOUL, PERIOD !!!
    READ…… JOHN 8: 44 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Stephen says:

I suppose that’s why those books are nonsense and that Evolution is true.

2. CD says:

And I bet you think the world is going to end on Saturday too?? What will you and all the others think when you wake up Sunday morning and you’re all still here with the rest of us heathens??

3. CD says:

And I bet you think the world is going to end on Saturday too?? What will you do when you wake up Sunday morning and you’re still here with all the rest of us heathens????

7. ernietheattorney says:

Born a woman, playing for a women’s team. I see no problem. If she has the surgery and hormone treatment and lives as a man, I guess then “he” will have to try to play on a men’s team.