Search Continues For Missing Fire Department Recruit

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—The search intensifies for a missing Baltimore City fire recruit whose car was found abandoned near a county reservoir.

Mike Schuh has an exclusive look from onboard one of the search boats.

A cadaver-sniffing dog has joined the hunt for missing fire recruit Rodney Goggins.  His  family hasn’t seen the 20-year-old since Sunday night. Then Wednesday, there was the first clue.  His father and brother found his car along busy Liberty Road where it crosses the Liberty Reservoir.

“He would never, never leave us like this,” said his mother Tracey Goggins. “I just want my son back home safe. ”

Thirty-seven divers wait to go into the deep cold water, but first they have to know where to go.  Out on the water, they’re using two different kinds of sonar.

“What they use when they start looking is what they call a gingerbread,” explained one diver. “Basically it looks like a gingerbread man laying on the bottom. But one of the things that we’re running into is, of course, the old bridge that was here.”

Meantime, 57 Maryland State Police recruits combed the dense underbrush to search for clues.

Goggins is a Baltimore City firefighter recruit, which his mom says made him proud because he knew he could provide for his daughter.

His fellow firefighters felt the pressure to work the search scene.

“Because his car is here, that’s reason enough for us to engross our efforts in this area,” said Chief Kevin Cartwright, Baltimore City Fire.

Crews from several counties spent hours searching the area around the reservoir and in the water.  Baltimore County police are leading the investigation, but have few leads.

“It’s unknown at this time why he would be at the dam or if in fact he even drove to the dam,” said Lt. Robert McCullough, Baltimore County Police.

The Goggins family remains hopeful.

They say Goggins is such a nice young man, responsible and caring. He’s a football coach for a youth team. Some of his players even showed up to pass out some missing person flyers.

Police and fire crews say they will continue searching until they locate Goggins.

If  you have information about Goggins’ whereabouts, contact the Baltimore County Police Department (Woodlawn Precinct) at 410-887-1340 or contact your local police department by calling 911.

More from Mike Schuh
Comments

1. williejoe says:

This does not look good.

2. Mary says:

I hope he is found safe.

3. AttitudeAdjustment says:

I hope and pray that Baltimore City has nothing to do with this if he is not found safe..

4. bmoregyrl says:

My thoughts and prayers are with his son and his family as well as the fire dept. family. Please bring him home safe.

5. concerned says:

I will continue to pray for the safe return of this family’s loved one. May the good lord above hear all of our prayers.

6. deltasweetiepi says:

The vehicle being driven to where he lives is a smoke screen. Whatever has happened to this young man happened in Baltimore City near or at whomever he was visiting in east Baltimore. Information is vague and no it does not look good.

7. Georgeanna says:

I will pray for this young man and his family that he is found safe. I know the odds but may God bring him home safe for his family.

8. !st Responder says:

First and foremost, I hope this soon to be firefighter is found and returned to his family alive and well. Secondly, why would ANYBODY assume something happened to him way down in BALTIMORE city when his car is found at the Carroll County line. That’s more than IDIOTIC. Read the story. He left his child at home and went to see his girlfriend, who, unknown to him, wasn’t at home. Maybe he bacame distraught after that. Who knows? I know Baltimore is a hellhole, but stop trying to pin every incident you come across on the city.

1. antoinette shorter says:

maybe i missed something in the story but NOWHERE did I read that he was going to see his girlfriend, I read that he asked his mom to watch his daughter so he could go out. Her not being home making him distraught…..you’re reaching. I totally agree that Baltimore is a hell hole but you’re right, the City of Bmore gets unfairly blamed for a lot of things. I just pray that this young man is found alive and able to make his family whole again. Stop the violence is my plea.

2. JustSayin says:

Because BALTIMORE CITY seems to always dump their crime mess outside of the area to cover up or throw police off. One will always assume when a car is parked at that bridge and person is missing they’ve jumped. Wake up.

9. thomas says:

WJZ TV I WILL NOT POST MY PRIVATE E-MAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

SNAKE …..!

10. 1st Responder says:

@Antoinette, he left his home and went to his girlfriend’s house in East Baltimore. When he got there, she wasn’t there so he stayed there for a little while and chatted with her family before leaving to head back home. They’re saying noone heard from him after that. Someone talked to him becaused they tracked a cellphone conversation from his phone that bounced off a tower across from where his car was found.

1. antoinette shorter says:

Thanks for the info as I never heard that on any reports I’ve seen or read for that matter. Regardless as to how it went down, it’s so sad. As a mother, that would be a nightmare while awake for me if one of my babies (and I don’t care how old) were to go missing.

11. Angel says:

God Bless the family and friends of Rodney. I pray he is safe and will come home soon. Now I will say this, Why do a person need to wait 96 hrs. before the police department will do anything, Like start looking. That’s crazy because Time Is The Essence. I don’t give a damn, When you report a person is missing and it’s out of the normal, start looking and searching. Get a back up team for this type of case. Give more men and women Jobs to be on call. Baltimore city police department sucks. As a matter of fact Baltimore/Maryland Sucks!!!

12. +jean says:

god bless this young man’s family my prays goes out to u all. I do pray he come hpme soon Baltimore city police department please get out there found this young man and fire department help find your own this family needs him home. god bless

13. jean says:

i do pray that he comes home safe to his family. bless u all my prays are with u all

14. Wot Woo says:

Sure hope the dude is found OK.

15. Bianca bailey says:

Instead of fighting about where he was last seen leave it be. Rodney was my fellow Baltimore City College Graduate class of 09. He was a good kid and a knight with heart. We want him home and we miss him. I am from that part of Baltimore where they say his girlfriend was and I was afraid that the thugs who hang and slang drugs down there did this…I grew up with all of them….we just don’t know but to bicker is rude. I want my friend to come home that is all

16. james says:

it time that the strong people kick the thugs ass. they have cross the line. we must protect the people if the police can not do the job. i refuse to be controlled bt some punks that do their dirt by using guns and gangs. they have to know their life mean nothing at all to us. we the people that respect and up hold the law will be support by the laws and not the thugs. enough is enough. if the thugs want war, then war and blood it will be. but enough of the murders and their bull s,,,, t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. doug says:

THAT’S RIGHT, IT IS TIME THE PEOPLE OF MARYLAND TAKE BACK THEIR NEBIORHOODS AND RUN THE THUGS, THE DRUG DEALERS AND THE PROBLEM PEOPLE OUT OF ALL NEBIRHOODS. THEY WON’T WORK, THEY WON’T GO TO SCHOOL, THEY DO NOTHING BUT CREATE PROBLEMS FOR ALL MARYLAND TAX PAYERS TO CLEAN UP. AS LONG AS THE PEOPLE SET BACK AND DO NOTHING, MORE AND MORE CHILDREN AND PEOPLE OF ALL RACES WILL BECOME VICTIMS OF THIS SAME TYPE OF ELIMATE. WE THE PEOPLE DEMAND THAT THE ELECTED OFFICIALS, LAW MAKERS AND THE BALTIMORE CITY AND COUNTY POLICE CHIEFS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE CRIMES THAT ARE EFFECTING OUR BETTER YOUNG PEOPLE. WHY DO THE THUGS HAVE A VOICE AND THE PEOPLE ARE SIKENCE.

RODNEY HAD THE RIGHT OF LIFE TO BECOME THAT FIRE FIGHTER THAT HE PUT FORTH EFFORT AND WORKED HARD TO MAKE HIS AND HIS 7 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER DREAM COME TRUE. HE IS A GOOD YOUNG MAN AND A SINGLE FATHER THAT DID THE RIGHT THING. IN LIFE AND NO THUGS HAVE THAT RIGHT TO ROBB HIS BABY GIRL OF HER FATHER. ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT THIS BABY GIRL MOTHER IS NOT THERE FOR HER, SO WE THE PEOPLE MUST FIGHT HARD TO FIND RODNEY AKA……NOW !

1. Shanette C says:

I’m with you James and Doug…seriously. Enough is enough. These fake gangstas want to take over and ruin our neighborhoods, then threaten anyone who dares to snitch on them. A bunch of cowards is what they are. We need a good team of brave individuals…

17. pigeon says:

Something is rotten here. Does not look good.
    I pray for his family, friends and loved ones that he is found safe, but
    Baltimore, what are you doing to your sons and daughters, moms & dads, brothers & sisters, etc.? Everyone one of you are individuals with something special and good to offer. Find it inside of you and share it with each other!

18. doug says:

TYPE ERROR…..NEIGHBORHOOD AND ,,,ELI MATE….SILENCE

I AM SO MAD UNTIL I AM NOT THINKING CLEARLY. I AM UP SET OVER RODNEY DISAPPEARANCES HE WAS TOO CLOSE TO COMPLETING HIS GOLD IN BECOMING THE NEXT MARYLAND FIRE FIGHTER. THIS STATE NEED ALL THE GOOD STRONG MEN AND WOMEN THAT WE CAN GET. WE HAVE ALREADY LOSS TO MANY OF OUR PROMISING LEADERS DUE TO CRIMES OF THE THUGS, GANGS AND SO MANY OTHER SENSELESS SITUATIONS. THIS MUST STOP. I HOPE THIS IS NOT THE SAME GROUP THAT KILLED P. BARNES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11.

19. whatnow says:

(1) if you are going to run the thugs out of the neighborhood, please don’t push anymore of them into AA County, we have enough of the city trash and we aren’t safe anymore. (2) They are not reporting it here, but on another station they said a suicide note was found in his car. My prayers for this family and especially his little child.

20. henry peterson says:

We can’t blame anyone or anyplace until we get the facts. May God bless this young man as well as his family. I cannot speak for Baltimore City Thugs cause I am from over the Liberty Rd Bridges,thugs don’t cross the second bridge, Atleast not smart thugs. Hope Rodney is found safe and sound. Concerned from Eldersburg.