15-Year-Old Dies After Being Shot Accidentally

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A group of young teens started playing with a gun inside a south Baltimore home when the weapon went off, striking a 15-year-old in the head.

Weijia Jiang spoke with detectives and the victim’s family and friends.

South Baltimore’s Cherry Hill community is reeling after a 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and killed Saturday morning.  It happened in the 2400 block of Seamon Avenue.  Violent crime is nothing new to the area, but this time, police say it was a senseless accident that claimed a life.

“There was some sort of sleepover, children playing in the home.  They located a weapon and began playing with it,” said Baltimore Police Detective Kevin Brown.

Police say the victim was the oldest in a group of kids playing with a gun that someone fired.  They have not released the age of the shooter, but neighbors say it’s a 10-year-old who lives in the house with his uncle.

“I just thought about my grandkids, they coulda been around ’cause all of ’em play together,” said Javerlyn Barnes.  “It’s got me upset, it really does.  I’ve been upset all day long.”

Family friends say the young victim does not live in Cherry Hill.  He was visiting his mom for the weekend; she lives around the corner.

“I can’t explain it; I’ve never seen her the way she is.  She’s a very good friend,” said Kimberly Orellana.

Orellana rushed to Shock Trauma with the victim’s family, who she describes as “distraught.”  The pain is still fresh, though a new emotion is brewing: anger over why and how young kids had access to a gun.

“The parents should not have had the guns out like that, should have had the guns locked up somewhere.  Anything can happen to the kid; he could have shot hisself,” said Gary Mack.

Police are not releasing any names yet.  The neighborhood is planning a vigil and fundraiser for the family, likely sometime Sunday evening at the scene.

As of Saturday evening, no charges have been filed in connection with the gun.

Comments

1. JackDaniels says:

WHEN DID THEY STOP USING AFRICAN AMERICAN??

WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE IS WHITE AND WAS BORN AND RAISED IN AFRICA, BUT THEY NOW LIVE IN THE U.S……..LIKE CHARLIZE THERON………….IS SHE AFRICAN AMERICAN????

1. Monique Mackey says:

YES!!! I have been saying that myself! We are not “African American”. Just African. Just like the Italians and Mexicans and everyone else that were born in America…they don’t run around claiming America…they will tell you in a minute “I’m Italian” or “I’m Mexican” sans the American. We need to claim our culture..period.

2. amanda says:

i dont understand why everything has to always be about race!!! Why does it matter??? A child lost their life!!! Come on get over this race stuff…it shouldnt matter either way but def not wen someone loses their life!!!

1. SNF says:

My thoughts exactly…

3. mrs atkinson says:

my children are friends with the victims so this hit very close to home.Some one lost a child this has affected all of our children who really cares about race.GROW UP PLEASE

1. Ayesha Livinlife Fields says:

who was it? I been trying to find out but noone knows. I lived out there all my life.

4. disappointed says:

Please people, keep guns away from children. lock them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is really hard on the family for losing a bright and intelligent child. U will be missed for sure.

5. bigdawg says:

I truly hope the police charge the uncle for having a unlocked gun in the house.

1. Squaregrouper says:

I agree. I am a gun owner as well as an NRA member and the uncle should be charged with breaking the law.

2. RIP MICHAEL says:

UM NO THE 15 YEAR OLD WASNT THE SHOOTERS FRIEND MICHAEL JUST MEANT THAT BOY THE DAY BEFORE THIS HAPPENED THE SHOOTERS WAS MICHAELS STEP-BROTHER’S FRIEND MICHAEL WAS THERE FOR HIS BROTHER

6. beejay says:

Could have shot hisself?. Is that the sound a snake makes? Or is that a hissing elf? lmao

7. City boy says:

Look the bottom line,is death has no race this make me sick how people can just say race this race that,all of u tht do need to thk what if tht,was ur child my heart goes out to the famaily may the lord put his hands on them and let them no there child is ok with him he is now a beautfiul angle and ps I am white and grew up in the city so like,i said,death has no race god bless,

8. tina says:

i am cousins with the victim and nobody talked to us but plss everyone i need all the blessings for me and my family

1. billy horn says:

any thing to say my email is billyhrn41@yahoo.com

9. j says:

Though I grieve for the family and am angry a gun was available, these kids are old enough to know better. Especially a kid living in the city must know a gun is not a toy. Though I hope Stephaney is wrong about it not being an accident, it does raise questions…I also am tired of the racial comments though. We are all one race-the HUMAN race.

10. Kim says:

I was friends with the victim i used to live a few streets away from him. We rode the same bus to school. He was a really nice kid and I know he is watching over all his family and friends up in heaven. It’s really sad to hear this happen to him😦 Stay strong family!

1. RIP MICHAEL says:

11. Cathy says:

I just do not know what the hell is going on, I think the police commisioner needs to send police officers to everyones house in the city and check for guns,I believe the only reason anyone should have guns anywhere is if they are hunters and have them locked up incase they go hunting or whatever,I do not think this is the case.It is just a shane another life has been taken,I for one hate when a race issue is brought up but whom are the ones this is happening to every day, I would love to see where the whites are having a problem but it is not,but to go on here and call people names when facts are facts,The parents that lived there need to be held responsible

12. Terry Frazer says:

there should not be any lable but American if you are a citizen you are an American nothing else, if you can’t live with that go back where you came from.

13. Accident kannada movie says:

Even though you have had an auto accident which clearly had not been your own mistake, when it comes to spending pay out, insurance firms will endeavour and obtain away with spending since …Stluczka w uk

14. Accident york pa says:

The thinking behind bikes transmits feelings of considerations and also hate for you to nearly all motorbike rider’s loved ones… Often saying for you to “take care available ” along with “don your headgear !”Stluczka w uk