Former WJZ Sports Anchor Passes Away

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Nick Charles, a former sports anchor at WJZ, has passed away of bladder cancer.  He was 64.  Adam May has more.

In the 1970s, Nick Charles was a popular sportscaster at WJZ.  He worked alongside Jerry Turner and Bob Turk.  Then, in 1980, he became a pioneer in cable news, teaming up with Fred Hickman on Sports Tonight for almost 17 years.

In August 2009, Charles was diagnosed with Stage IV bladder cancer.  After enduring rounds of chemo and radiation, he recently talked about keeping positive.

“I think about my mortality and I’ll think about…just look at the sky and say, `This is beautiful, this morning.  Look at this dawn,’ and I’ll only go that far,” Charles said.  “In life you need short-term, medium-term and long-range goals.  I’m at the short-term goals.  It’s almost day-to-day, moment to moment and it’s really quite sustaining for me and actually invigorating.”

He lived longer than his doctors expected, inspired by his five-year-old daughter Giovanna and his wife, Cory.  He didn’t hide from his youngest child that he was dying.

“Spiritually, I tell her that, you know, I’m going to prepare a better place for you and we’re going to be there eventually.  The eternal picture is a difficult concept for a five-year-old but we talk about heaven a lot,” Charles said.

He died surrounded by the people he loved.  He is survived by his wife and four children.

Before his passing, he recorded a series of video messages for his family and friends.

Comments

1. will of baltimore says:

I REMEMBER HIM IN BALTIMORE, A GREAT SPORTS BROADCASTER. R.I.P

2. craig says:

i remember him more so on cnn sports. its ashame to see people you kind of grew up on watching

3. Caren says:

Nick was a great sports broadcaster..Prayers go out for his Family and his WJZ Family as well.

4. 12th Man says:

Nick use to be on WRC down the beltway from you guys in D.C.

5. brice says:

He had a great local commerical on CH. 13. We would see a street sign that reads: N. Charles. (North Charles Street) And below, we will see: Nick Charles. A name above the rest. He was a cool sport guy. Rest in peace.

6. Angel says:

Did not know much about Nick not much of a Sport Fan. God Bless his family in the lost of their Loved One. RIP Nick Charles, you are Home with our Father Lord!

7. Concern says:

charityusa.com, goodsearch.com, upromise.com, isearchigive.com, & fundraising-solutions.org(jimmy.org posts).

8. Kimetha Jophnson says:

R.I.P Nick !

9. Cris McHenka says:

So sorry to hear about his passing. I always enjoyed his sport casts in Baltimore. Please let his family know that he is in our prayers as are they.

10. Nathan Ramirez says:

Hey guys, Might be the U.S. much better off sticking to Syria’s Assad?