Boy, 5, Shoots Neighbor, 4, In Prince George’s Co.

HILLCREST HEIGHTS, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a 5-year-old boy has inadvertently shot his 4-year-old neighborhood while playing at a playground in Prince George’s County.

Police spokesman Cpl. Mike Rodriguez says officers were called to a shooting Thursday afternoon at an apartment complex on 23rd Parkway in Hillcrest Heights, where they found the 4-year-old with a gunshot wound. The boy, who was shot in the back, was taken to a hospital. Authorities say he is expected to survive.

Police say the 5-year-old shooter became scared by what had happened and hid the gun in his family’s apartment.

Authorities are trying to determine who owns the gun and where it came from.

Rodriguez did not identify either boy.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. HR says:

First, let me start off by saying that I am praying for this boy to have a speedy recovery.
    Secondly, I am so tired of hearing about little kids shooting little kids. This must stop! I’m a strong believer that if you have kids you should NOT own a gun! I know this article doesn’t say where the child found the gun, but he found it somewhere and whereever that was it should not have been in a location where the child would even have access. We must teach our children about gun safety and not to go near or touch them. When we our society learn? When all of our future children are dead. Let’s hope not.

1. JackDaniels says:

SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

MY PARENTS HAD GUNS IN THE HOUSE WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID AND I NEVER ACCIDENTALLY SHOT ANYONE……………DON’T BLAME THE GUN……………BLAME THE PARENTS FOR NOT TEACHING THEIR KID NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING THAT DOESN’T BELONG TO HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. HR says:

Congrats for not ever shooting anyone. My point was that children are curious about things they don’t know about, and we must teach our children about gun safety, not about not touching things that don’t belong to us!!!

2. Mike says:

I 100% agree with JD, Know many people who grew with guns in the house and they knew the rules, and the safety. Kids in the hood dont learn these things

1. Jeff says:

I was taught starting at age 3 or 4 by my father, a Baltimore City policeman, how to properly clean a gun. He sat my brother and I down and explained what the gun was, double checked that they were unloaded (revolvers), and went through step by step how to clean the guns under his direct supervision. This was a great priviledge for us kids, and with that priviledge came instruction and one of the sternest warnings Dad ever gave us. GUNS ARE NOT TOYS, first of all, and second, if he ever caught one of us touching the guns without his permission/supervision there would be Hell to pay.

I was never allowed to fire a gun until I was 11 or 12, at which time I was taught by my dad. I have always had a healthy respect for guns thanks to being properly taught.

Now I hear people say lock up guns, don’t let kids near them, yada yada yada. We can’t shelter kids from the dangers of guns, but what we can do is educate them (parental education, not a public education) to understand what they are dealing with when they pick up a gun for any reason. When they are sheltered from something, thier curiosity will certainly be piqued, and then an accidental shooting occurs.

Once again people want ot create a nanny state to save us from ourselves, when in reality we should take it upon ourselves to be aware and educated about dangers in life.

I am glad to hear that the child should be o.k.

2. HR says:

You can 100% agree with him that’s your opinion. My opinion is that kids need to learn about gun safety so these things don’t happen! And who said that these children were from the hood?