Family Of July 4th Murder Victim Speaks Out; 4-Year-Old Released From Hospital

WINCHESTER, Va. (WJZ)—Baltimore is still dealing with the fallout of Independence Day crime in the Inner Harbor. The shooting of a 4-year-old boy and the fatal stabbing of a tourist remain unexplained.

Mike Hellgren just spoke exclusively with one of the families touched by the violence.

WJZ spoke to the family of the man who was murdered, stabbed in the neck with a bottle. They say he’s the type of man Baltimore wants to attract to the Inner Harbor–a tourist there to spend money. They are outraged and have definite concerns over security.

Joseph Calo’s family is still reeling from his murder. The 26-year-old was visiting Baltimore for the Independence Day fireworks at the Inner Harbor when police say a man stabbed him to death with a broken bottle.

In an exclusive interview with WJZ, his loved ones pleaded with the public to help find his killer.

“You know what?” his ex-girlfriend Lyndsey Reilly said with tears. “I was there when his mother found out, and my little girl is not going to have a dad. She had him for a year. That’s not long enough.”

Calo, who is from Opelika, Ala., had just visited his 1-year-old daughter in Winchester, Va., before he headed to Baltimore.

“The world needs to get back to when you’re going to get in a fight, you fist fight, get up and shake it off and go on. No need in shooting, stabbing and killing folks. Just ain’t no need for that,”said Mike Dawson, victim’s uncle. “It’s going to be hard. I drove 1,000 miles to get here where I could help.”

“I was the first person that they told that he didn’t even make it to the hospital,” Reilly said.

Calo’s family wants to bring his body home.  They want justice and closure for a life needlessly cut short.

“I’m not from Baltimore and I don’t intend to go to Baltimore,” Dawson said. “Baltimore does not look pretty in my book.”

His killing was part of a string of violence incidents that included a shooting of 4-year-old Kavin Benson by a stray bullet that hit him in the leg.

Baltimore City Police are still looking for the person who shot Benson. His father sent pictures to WJZ; one shows the two walking on Light Street just before the boy was struck.

Police suspect it was a stray bullet that narrowly missed an artery.

Kavin Benson was released from the hospital Wednesday and is recovering at home. But Calo will not; his life is gone.

“He was just doing what he always did,” Reilly said. “He was just standing up for his brother. Unfortunately, someone had to take it too far.”

Calo’s family says that the city of Baltimore is working with them financially and logistically to move the body back to Alabama.

A fund has been set up for Calo.  Please send donations to:

Fredrick’s Funeral Home

C/O Joseph Calo

1801 Frederick Road

Opelika, AL 36801

( 334) 745-4667

If you know anything about either of the incidents, contact police.  You can remain anonymous.

More from Mike Hellgren
Comments

1. M.L. Baer says:

The Baltimore City Police looking for evidence? They couldn’t find a patrol car if they were standing next to one.

2. weds says:

All that tax money and they said that the cameras didn’t catch anything? 600 police and they couldn’t even prevent that guy’s death and that child from being shot? Baltimore is a joke.

1. Jeff says:

Your living in a fairy tale if you think cops can “Prevent” a random murder. This isn’t minority report.

1. michelle says:

i agree wit yhu 100 %

2. really? says:

@ weds…It’s rare when anyone commits a crime in the presence of a police officer. What do you think the Baltimore police are omnipresent?

3. Ravens Fan says:

As long as these gangs of thugs are allowed to menace law abiding citizens it will continue and get worse. It is not safe at the Inner Harbor…period. PC, NAACP, ACLU and other groups will continue to make excuses for them. These gangs have a tremendous advantage in numbers. If they did not have the advantage they would do nothing. Why don’t they go to a tailgating party prior to a Ravens game and cause trouble. Simple, they would be at a disadvantage, because they are cowards.

4. fraught says:

For the last 5,000 years, civilization’s “cities” have always been bastions of crime. For no other reason than the density of habitation. Complain all you want, but you chose to live where the action is.

5. cindy says:

So sad all 500 so called police didnt hear no gun fire or see anything well why are they even there fire everyone of them i think the police are scared of the thugs

1. Jeff says:

Have you ever been downtown for the fireworks? 600 cops can’t be everywhere at once considering the Thousdands of people and the area they are covering. They are spread out along the main and side streets downtown for blocks to make sure people aren’t starting trouble. I’d like to see you pinpoint a random gunshot that could have been fired blocks away while surrounded by traffic, tall buildings that intensify crowd noise in between and massive crowds of people yelling. You wouldn’t be able to do it. I’m tired of all the people that blame the police for everything. Blame the individuals doing the crimes. The police don’t prevent crime. They just try to bring the criminals to justice. And in Baltimore City where no witnesses cooperate, that’s a tall order.

1. Can't Fix Stupid says:

I agree with you Jeff. Wonder what Cindy’s world would be like with 500 (the actual number was 600, but we’ll use her figure) less cops! I’m glad she doesn’t live in my neighborhood.

2. michelle says:

i agree

3. michelle says:

try soooo tru

4. Dee says:

Jeff – finally a level-headed response to this incident. The comments left yesterday to articles about this incident bordered on the absurd. The individuals committing these crimes are the only ones to blame.

5. audry says:

You are right Jeff. The problem with our society is that no one wants to place the blame on the actual people that did this.. It wasn’t the fault of the cops but if you look at the animals that caused this mess, you can clearly see that it is the ‘same old group; if you catch my drift. THEY need to be held responsible, not the cops..

6. JoAnn says:

I always say put the NATIONAL GUARD out there and let the Police do Police work. Last year there was a fight with a couple girls and the cops came in a area where there were small children and sprayed pepper spray. It was terriable. I guess the next thing is no more fireworks. Suck the fun out of everything for everyone.

6. michelle says:

i mean tru sooooo tru

7. Wilford P. Wellington says:

Again, look at the camera footage, what do you see? Blacks fighting amongst themselves and apparently involving innocent people!

8. adraine says:

its not just blacks you racist white kids are just as crazy please stop throwing c olor in this matter fool

1. Wilford P. Wellington says:

All I said was LOOK at the video. What do YOU see?

1. Dee says:

LOOking at the video I see a bunch of idiots fighting. LOOK at the video wasn’t ALL you said. Look at the video of what happened after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup. What do YOU see? A bunch of idiots with different color skin,
        Make sure you click through all the pictures. Let me know how many black people you see. Oh, and they didn’t set their own stuff on fire.

My point is simple – idiots come in all races, shapes & sizes.

2. Anonymous says:

I’m not racist at all. But let me tell you. I moved out of Baltimore last December, and sadly to say Baltimore is probably one of the worst cities out there when it comes to Black against Blacks. Baltimore is just a bad city in general no matter what color you are. Race shouldn’t be the matter here. White, spanish, black are all in these crimes. But these horrible ghetto’s out in West and East Baltimore represent the black population. To me it seems like Baltimore Officials want to keep it that way so Black People in Baltimore have a bad name for themselves. I currently live in Minnesota, and to be quite honest the black people here are much more educated and respectful than in Maryland. Now you can call me racist or anything you want BUT I know what I am and what I am not. Crime is really low where I live at, and actually i never hear about murders. Baltimore has created a bad name for itself and so has the D.C. area. Statistics prove they are the top 5 worst cities in America when it comes to crime & aids. So Adraine I don’t think he’s being racist at all, he’s just speaking the honest truth. BUT RACISM WILL ALWAYS EXIST UNTIL WE START CALLING EACHOTHER BY OUR NAMES AND NOT OUR COLOR. THAT GOES FOR YOU BLACK, WHITE, SPANISH, ASIAN, MIDDLE EASTERN. You name it.

1. test says:

BUT RACISM WILL EXIST UNTIL BLACKS STOP ACTING LIKE VIOLENT APES.

FTFY.

2. Vengador says:

BTW Stop referring to “Spanish” people. There are very few Spanish people in the US because they’re European Whites and therefore are not welcome in the country due to our immigration laws.

3. u blind? says:

adraine=no brain! You must be blind…..YES IT IS…..watch the video, moron!!!

9. teacher says:

black, white, whatever. women shouldn’t be acting the way they are on that video. disgusting. the worst part is the cycle. they were raised to fight and they will raise their kids to do the same.

1. Bman says:

A part of the problem is some kids have no one to tell them what’s right and what’s wrong. No discipline is applied in the household. Adult’s need to take more responsibility and step in to help these kids who have ignorant guardians.

2. Vengador says:

They don’t raise kids. They’re brood sows whose offspring represent another public assistance check and nothing more.

Remember Admiral Yamamoto’s “sleeping giant”? I think the giant is awakening and he will be filled with a terrible resolve.
      Anne Pressley, Amy Biehl, Shannon Christian, Christopher Newsom, Lauren Burk, Eve Carson, The Wichita Five, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

Bebe Netanyahu said that when someone constantly says he wants to kill you you better start believing him.

10. bobby says:

I think its all just a shame but I think we are all overlooking the bigger picture and the true problem with Baltimore which is the phrase getting away with murder is true here. As long as criminals can continue to get away with there crimes we will continue to see more and more generations of killers breeding heavily on our streets. I have lived here for 42 years and every year the city focuses on the number of murders each year when there should be a greater focus or comparison to what percentage go unsolved each year. It does seem amazing that Baltimore County has a better conviction rate , I think it is time for a better police force and it ultimately starts with its leadership. Baltimore needs a new William Donald, and a Bishop Robinson.

11. Birder says:

More black on white crime…. what a shocker.

1. audry says:

Better be careful Birder, someone is gonna get on that comment and call the NAACP on you

12. maraluna says:

Why is that kid throwing gang signs? Maybe that’s why he got shot.

1. Adrienne Rich says:

Its a peace sign so if u dont know what ur talking about you should just stfu!!! The fact of the matter is that a 4 year old CHILD got shot and could’ve been killed. you dont say that u feel bad/sorry for the victim which is a CHILD. Instead u say maybe thats why he was shot….well maybe you should be shot…I dispise idiots like you !!!

13. Bman says:

Ignorance exist in all nationalities. It doesn’t matter if your white, black, yellow. red or purple. I’m black and live in predominately white town in Bel Air. I have seen young white kids act just as crazy after certain events. Let’s not make this a racial issue. We need to attempt to reach out to our young people and set good examples on how to act and function in today’s society. Unfortunately, we had a bunch of ignorant folks that were out of control.

1. audry says:

Wake up Bman.. I don’t know what your world is like but that isn’t the way it is in the city where blacks ‘rule’

1. C'mon son!!!!! says:

I guess that was a black man who took a hammer to the jeep on 295. Blacks are responsible for all crime I guess… please!!! I am certainly not supporting anyone who commits crime in the city or anywhere else, but you cannot put all the blame on any one race.

14. Charles Harris says:

I was there, just feet away from where this man was killed, there were not any police on the pier from the time my family and I arrived until the man was stabbed. When the man was stabbed, the fireworks had just ended, it took over 20 minutes for the ambulance to get there and I am sure it took longer to get to the hospital. This was not a race issue. This was alcohol related. There were two groups of people arguing over who kissed who. The people who worked at the restaurant need to be commended for their assistance in trying to save this man amongst the large crowd of chaos. They never left his side. I hope they get the man who did this because none of us are safe as long as he is free.

1. Siren Davis says:

I think you need to go to the police station and report what and who you saw if you were feet away. Someone needs to be brought to justice and if you were there, you need to help catch the person who did this.

15. Ravens1 says:

If this happened in a ghetto somewhere in Baltimore – the city and the media would not give it this much coverage. If this happened to someone from Baltimore in a ghetto somewhere – the city and media would not care.

1. SickOfAnimals says:

duh ! situations like this are common in the ghetto… people see it everyday, its nothing new to them !

2. Vengador says:

It’s just the opposite. It’s becoming quite obvious that our White liberal leaders couldn’t care less about what happens to White people.

Whites are roaming the streets looking to assault and kill Blacks.

16. darisha says:

These barbarians need to be held accountable for both of these incidents.. The behavior they demonstrated is pathetic but I guess you have to expect it- look where it happened. If these idiots want to turn the fireworks show into such a horrible event, then maybe the city shouldn’t spend thousands of dollars to give them a show. There shouldn’t be a show in the future. Balto city is as bad as Harrisburg PA – but look at the ‘animals’ that live in both places.

17. Davon says:

thats very crazy howm ever did that stuff to that littile boy should be very sorry how could thay do that if thhat was child i would proubly be in injail or in the death penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…………………..

1. Alexandra Brown says:

Come on!

18. Anonymous says:

1. hhhhggyttyffdvfdfvdyve says:

Did you want a cookie?

19. tommy turtle says:

I like turtles!

1. C'mon son!!!!! says:

matti you are part of the problem…

1. DonS says:

No, you are part of the problem. One simply cannot expect people with low IQs and low impulse control to exist in modern society.

2. C'mon son!!!!! says:

Don S. Your statement sounds good, but there is no way you can make a blanket statement to characterize an entire RACE of people. I, along with my wife of 12 years, am a parent of 4 HONOR students of African American heritage. They are all well mannered. They all achieve excellent grades in school. They all have respect for their parents, for authority and for society. This is how I am part of the SOLUTION not the problem.

20. An23153 says:

I don’t understand why these young kids always have to bring the drama. I’m 21 now, and I grew up in the city. When my friends and I went out to the mall or downtown, we know how to act. We weren’t out looking for trouble, we were out to have a good time. I work across the street from the harbor, but I would never come down here for 4th of July, New Years. The harbor sucks anyways, it’s for tourists. And frankly if you’ve seen it once, theres no reason to go back.

21. An23153 says:

P.S- take the racism and shove it where the sun don’t shine! No race is more superior than another, I don’t care what you think. I’ve seen black thugs, asian thugs, hispanic thugs, white thugs, there are thugs everywhere as well as good people! Everyone has the inclination to do bad things, or everyone can be good. People of all races can mooch off the system. I’ve never heard of a whole race in which no one likes to get a free ride.

22. really? says:

you’all always want to blame the colored kids, they wasn’t even checked out. this is not the colored’s fault. they are the by-product of their environment. The liberals should be in charge of all colored and keep them separated from the good people for protection, this worked in the 30’s

23. coon killa says:

damn coons!

1. Vengador says:

Thanks for giving the wild eyed progressives the chance to label all Whites who speak out. Name calling only hurts our cause.

24. Vengador says:

It’s only racism when a dumb White kid writes the God awful , dreaded “N Word” on a wall.
    Blacks assaulting , raping (more the 20,000 per annum) and murdering Whites on a daily basis is never racially motivated.
    Some of you need to remove your heads from your cloacae.

1. Wilford P. Wellington says:

That part is only on a bird

1. Vengador says:

“That part is only on a bird”

I know that. I was trying not to be vulgar. Actually it’s used for amphibians and reptiles as well.

25. tonyafaison says:

Me myself i’think its a’dam shame how violence is so out of control almost everywhere you go not only here but i’think its a’dam shame when you cant go out without thinking something tragic is going to happen and it does but especially to your own child is unreal but with the grace of god he’s better then ever and i’hope the person that did it serves justice its not safe hardly no where no more prayers were heard for the childs life thank you jesus.