Anne Arundel Police Monitoring Intersection After 2 Teens Hurt

SEVERNA PARK, Md. (WJZ)—A night at the carnival leads to serious injuries for two Severna Park teens. It happened on Ritchie Highway.

Now as Gigi Barnett explains, police are beefing up presence on the busy road.

For 17-year-old Kara Micciche and her boyfriend 18-year-old Sean Snyder, Tuesday night was supposed to be filled with fun at the Earleigh Heights Carnival.  But as the couple crossed Ritchie Highway in Severna Park, the night turned tragic. Suddenly, both were struck by an oncoming car.

“It was just a crazy accident,” said family friend Elizabeth Benefiel.

Medical helicopters lifted the teens to Shock Trauma, where Micciche is on life support– awaiting to donate her organs.

“They’re getting the recipients in place for her to save seven people,” Benefiel said.

Anne Arundel County Police say the driver was not at fault.  He was going the speed limit and stayed at the scene. But he couldn’t see the teens. They were wearing dark clothing.

“It begs the point to stress about pedestrian safety: use crosswalks, cross the intersections with red signals, face traffic,” said Justin Mulcahy, Anne Arundel County Police spokesman.

Richie Highway is a big and busy road. And, Micciche’s family and friends say they want more presence to help people cross the street, especially while the carnival is attracting hundreds every night.

“Somebody needs to do something,” Benefiel said. “I’m all about carnivals. It just needs to be handled better.”

Anne Arundel County Police say there is an officer at the Earleigh Heights intersection, reminding walkers to be careful when they walk that street to go over to the carnival.

Police say there’s also a sign near the carnival alerting drivers to the carnival and people crossing the street.

Comments

1. To Small says:

It’s a shame when something like this happens. Earleigh Heights has a good carnival with lots of things for kids to do. However, there is no on-site parking there. They need to hold the carnival off site close by with parking for the carnival.

1. Member says:

As a member of the company, I can assure you that we’ve held the carnival in the same location since the beginning and we DO have on site parking. The rear of the station and back field are open for public parking, they simply fill up quickly in the evening.

2. Condolences says:

This is such a tragedy. Kara will be giving the gift of life within her death–what a wonderful end to a life cut tragically short.

Yes, this is a very busy area.

3. JJ says:

This is a very sad and tragic incident. This just shows that you need to cross at the traffic signal and not run across a dark highway with dark colored clothing. So now we are going to put a police officer and tie up manpower as a result of Pedistrian Error. Again this is a very sad and tragic incident! RIP to the young person that lost their life and you are a TRUE HERO for helping others with your organs!

4. nick says:

no crosswalk- no walking signals- how can you let an event of thi size without safety measure in place

5. RT says:

You know this is very tragic, but it is the teens fault. Excuse me for sounding a little bit cold but it seems like people are like something needs to be done. What needs to be done? If anything maybe an education on how to cross the road. How about look both ways before crossing. How about don’t assume cars are going to see you and stop. How about crossing at a crosswalk. I’ve crossed the street many of times, including hundreds of times of jaywalking on coastal highway and not once was I ever even close to being clipped by a car. How about people use some common sense before crossing the road, after all these are 4,000 pound machines barreling down the road. People need to use their brains or you might pay with your life, and unfortunately in this case someone did. However, I will say there needs to be either crosswalks or police directing foot traffic there if there is an event, that does make no sense.

6. tad says:

You know, I drive by this area frequently. I have never noticed a crosswalk at this intersection. I will have to remember to check next time I go by there.

1. JJ says:

There is no cross walks striped on the roadway or crosswalk signals, however the motor vehicle law clearly states pedestrians need to obey the traffic signal with what ever direction they are crossing. So if they were crossing from Magothy Bridge Road side across Rt. 2 then they should have walked when the lights turned green for Magothy Brg. Rd had the green light, HOWEVER need to yield to traffic since there were no striped cross walks. Again this is a very tragic story and RIP to the young hero that will save many others as a result of this tragic incident.

7. T says:

I graduated high school with Kara’s mother and aunt, and my daughter and Sean shared a mutual friend. I was told that Kara passed away yesterday by her aunt. Such a tragedy. Such an awful accident. My thoughts and prayers are with the Koellner’s and Micchie’s.

8. hmmmm says:

There is no cross walk it should say no pedestrians it is a very busy highway like 10 and 100 and needs to be treated the same, the kids should have waited they should of known while crossing damn that car is close. This has nothing to do with the carnival and there is on site parking around the back, and they were not crossing to get a car they were walking BACK from 7-11. Until people get there stories straight dont place this on the carnival or the heights it was not there error.

9. Local Community says:

I live just below the intersection of Richie and 10 and I drive through the Earligh Heights area a lot to get to Severna Park. The sad thing is that this is not the first nor will it be the last attempt to cross the highway. There are no protected intersections that allow the public to cross the street. Does anyone realize that those of us on this side of the highway (the northbound side) is cut off from the B & A Trail that runs along the southbound side?

It is sad to hear about the pedestrian error but earlier this week my parents and I went down to Severna Park and we know its a yearly event at the firehouse and it was really sad to see there were no police officers monitoring and or trying to safely allow people to cross at an intersection. Its a fundraiser for the firehouse, yes but isn’t there a way to pull strings to have the event have police in the intersection for free? Is there a way to have the event at the fair grounds where the county allows the fire company to use the site for free so they can raise the money?

Something needs to give and its sad that people continue to get killed along Richie highway. How many deaths will it take until something is done for people to safely cross the highway?

1. JJ says:

$$$$$$$$$$ the fire house is going to have to pay for the Police to work the event.

10. curlytop says:

I was in the 7-11 Monday night and saw several teens crossing Ritchie Highway to either come to 7-11 or go back to the carnival after visiting 7-11. I even made a comment to my son that eventually someone was going to get hit. Ironically, the next night is when the accident happened. I personally do not think the carnival should be held on the grounds of Earleigh Heights. Foot traffic next to a busy highway is not a good combination. It is a recipe for disaster as witnessed Tuesday night.

11. Nikki says:

I love when people talk and don’t have their facts straight. There is NO crosswalk, There was no sings to slow traffic for the carnvial ahead, no pedestrian walk light, and do you really think that small lot with hundreds of people expected to be sufficient for a carnival of that size?. The children WERE headed to the carnival. And it’s kind of hard to see a car coming when 200 cars are parked ilegally all up and down the highway now isnt it? Not saying that was why they got hit, but it will be the cause of someone getting hit soone or later if it keeps going the way it has been. Every year the carnival comes I say to myself someone is going to die here, and they did. Maybe the Anne Arundel County police should start ticketing people considering it is ilegal to just park on the side of the highway!!!!!! Hello people!!!!!!A beautiful little girl is now dead, and I believe that with percautionary action taken we can avoid another tragety like this from happening again. I also believe more could have been done prior to the incident, but no use to dwell on what could have been. I think it is wonderful they are now taking action. R.I.P Kara.

12. hmmmm says:

I was there the night of and it truely is a tragedy but such as the boy getting shot at the harbor you can only control people to a certain point. I was there last night again and there were kids going around the orange fencing and crossing ritchie no where near the cops, come on they will never learn……. There is a good bit of parking unfortunately not enough its a great fund raiser for the vollys and helps out the firehouse, you have to be smart about where you are walking and yes you can see the cars moving they are the ones with the headlights on! but there also should be some warning sign or a speed limit reduction right around the carnival!

13. TRACI MASEVICIUS says:

THIS HAPPEN FOR A REASON, I COME TO BELIEVE. NOT THAT I WANT TO BELIEVE THIS! I LOST A 15 CHILD & BURIAL AT THE BEGIN OF JULY. THIS TORE MY HEART OUT. I THOUGHT WHY SO YOUNG! YOU EXPECT THE OLDER! BUT GOD NEEDS SOME YOUNG ONES TO. THE BEST OF THE BEST! KARA WAS THE BEST! LOOK AT IT LIKE THAT! I HAVE NOT BEEN OUT OF BED BUT FOR THE FUNERAL. IT WILL GET BETTER.I DIDNT KNOW KARA MY SELF BUT I HOPE SEAN MAKES IT! KARA WILL WATCH OVER HIM NOW & ALL OF YOU! GOD TAKES THE YOUNG ONES YOUNG, SHE WAS A PRETTY YOUNG LADY. RIP KARA! MOM, DONT LET THE OTHER MESSAGE ON THE BOARD GET YOU DOWN. THIS IS TRULY THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER HAD TO GO THROUGH & IAM NOT THE REAL MOM. I JUST HAD THIS KID ALOT! HE FELT LIKE MY OWN LIKE THE OTHER 2 BOYS DUE! THERE ALL MY SON BF FROM BALTIMORE. THAT WHY I FEEL HES MINE! GOOD LUCK!

14. Michelle davis says:

And let me say as for bein the first person on scene if i hadnt been wavingthe volly at the fire dept n if 1 of the eye wittness that was drivin next to the person that hit them there was no officer at that light and i believe bein a member of the fire dept the volley do learn how to wear their vese that the police officer wear when they do accodent or other invites but not at earleigh heights noone does it n i hav never seen a police crossin ppl