Teen Basketball Star Fatally Shot In South Baltimore

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A local high school basketball star is shot and killed in South Baltimore in what may be a tragic accident. Family and friends are mourning the loss of 18-year-old Marcus Harvell.

Monique Griego spoke with the family still seeking answers in his death.

On the court, jump shots made #12 Marcus Harvell a basketball star at Benjamin Franklin High School.

But off the court he was known for his smile and outgoing personality.

“He was a very remarkable young man,” said his aunt, Corinthia Price. “He was motivated. He was a motivator.”

Price says Harvell had big dreams, but all that was taken away Wednesday afternoon after he was shot in the chest and killed inside a Brooklyn Homes housing complex.

“The family is devastated. It’s a little unreal,” Price said.

Investigators say they’re looking into the possibility that Harvell and a friend were playing with a gun.

So far no charges have been filed.

“They believe it was an accident, but right now the investigation still ongoing,” Price said.

“It just seems like there’s a lot of questions,” said Cliff Reese, Harvell’s AAU Summer League coach.

Reese came to offer support to Harvell’s family at their home.

“I’ve only known Marcus since March,” Reese said. “And I just fell in love with the kid the first time I met him.”

Grief over Harvell’s death has been widespread. Friends, classmates and teammates quickly showed an outpouring of support once news broke he’d been killed.

A Facebook page set up in Harvell’s honor is now a place for his friends to mourn.

Things are even harder for his family. They’re still trying to understand how this shining star was taken away so quickly.

“It’s just really senseless,” Price said.

Prosecutors say they’re still waiting to hear from State Attorney’s Office to find out if any charges will be filed.

Marcus Harvell would have been a senior next year at Benjamin Franklin High School. WJZ was told he was already being looked at by several colleges.

An account has been set up in Marcus Harvell’s name. Donations can be sent to the TD Bank “In Memory of Marcus Harvell”: Account number 4257026687.

Funeral arrangements are scheduled for next Saturday, July 30 at the Brooklyn Church of God. The wake will go from  9 to 10:30 a.m.  with the funeral immediately following.

Burial will be at Holy Cross Cemetery, and the repast will be held at the church’s fellowship hall.

Comments

1. Kay says:

This young man is DEAD you DUMB A**. He did not deserve that. AND LEARN HOW TO SPELL….IDIOT!!!!

2. Cullen says:

@cathy NO U DUMB*** B***** U DESERVE TO DIE

3. Cathy says:

You have your oppinion and I have mine,I was just stating a fact that when there are guns involved there is trouble.What was he doing with someone when they had a gun.if he was that smart he would not have had been around that guy

1. Disappointed says:

But the difference is Cathy that you said he deserved it – you can’t retract that and you wouldn’t have said it unless you meant it. Let the police investigate – you can ask all the questions you want, but you weren’t there and do not know what happened.

2. Nikki says:

Now Cathy if u had a child and someone killed your child would you like for someone to say he deserve it. Now if you don’t know what happen then you need not to say another. I hope if you have any children don’t nothing happen to yours because you would feel some kind of way.

4. Janette says:

Gun are everywhere, NO MATTER where you are.

5. Miss Nicole (Marcus' teacherp) says:

Wowwww Cathy…b careful throwing stones when u live n a glass house…when u put certain things n the universe it may come bk n knock at ur door…God hears u clearly…wonder how u wld feel if sum1 said “UR SON DESERVESD 2 DIE” hmmmm I wonder…u cant b a Christian…but u need 2 b!

6. No short cuts says:

Nicole – what would you do if they ever took the “u” key off of the keyboard or phone from which you are typing or texting? Come on now, you know better than to “take shortcuts;” you’re a teacher? b is be, u is you and ur is your. If YOU can’t take the time to type the message, don’t send it. BE an example TO YOUR students.

1. darneira.natice says:

Shee Being a Good Example Too Her Students by taking up for one of them juss like you would do if it was one of your close friends i guess you just don’t understand how close we are… our school is ONE big family we stick together threw think And thin we are the biggest support system you will ever see im just saying come check us out one day
      a family that prays together stays together
      TEAM Harvel We are most deff gonna be the best we can be this year because we are stundent trynna make it out

7. N.cullen says:

CATHY STFU WHO THE F*** DO U THINK U R GOD UMMMM LET ME ANSWER THAT FOR U NO U ARE AN UNKNOWN A** B**** U DESERVE TOO DIE FOR SAYING DUMB STUFF OUT YA MOUTH LIKE THAT SO DIE AND BURN IN HELL

8. n.nickens says:

Cathy- Theres thin YOU Should Say i& Shoudlnt yopu are a non factor why are you even commenting please grown tf up like really ps. you derserve to die you low life loser clown a** b****

9. Cathy says:

Well I can guess what brand of people I am dealing with,For one most of you need to know how to talk,what school did you go to, and second learn how to spell..I guess I should apolagize for the dead part but makes me mad,these kids get weapons and play with them and then they want to make a marter out of them.All I am saying is what was a guy that is supposed to be so remarkable and motivated and smart meeting a guy with a gun?

1. C. Harvell-Price says:

Because obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m Marcus’s aunt and I’m helping my sister make funeral arrangements for her very dead son. You speak on others lack of education, but what about yours? You made a comment that was ignorant and in bad taste, especially as our grieving family read those comments as well as his friends. Pardon me, but I didn’t know that you were able to elevate yourself to sit in a judgement seat. You’re not God! It would behoove you to consider your words before you speak. The investigation is ongoing and the police don’t have all of the facts. Even in your ingorance, I pray that you never have to live through what my sister is living through right now.

10. Deandre Holland says:

Cathy , Your A Silly B##### Your Heart Must Be a Black Hole To Even Say Something Like That … But You Will Get Yours , I Cant Say What i Want Because Were On This Page But Best Believe , WHAT GOES AROUND , COMES RIGHT BACK AROUND !

11. STILLSUNSHINE-MARCUSMOM says:

HELLO 1ST OF ALL I’M MARCUS MOM AND HE DID NOT DESERVE THIS 2 HAPPEN 2 HIM I LOVE MY BABY AND HE WAS A GOOD CHILD. I PRAY ALL GOOD HEALTH AND BLESSINGS 2 U AND URS MAY GOD BLESS ALWAYS. RESPECTFULLY MS.HARVELL.