O’Malley To Sponsor Gay Marriage Legislation

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—Governor Martin O’Malley takes the lead on a campaign to legalize same-sex marriage in Maryland.

Political reporter Pat Warren reports O’Malley is making it an administrative priority and will sponsor the bill next year.

O’Malley is throwing the power of his office behind same-sex marriage in Maryland.

“I will sponsor legislation that protects religious freedom and protects marital equality rights equally under the law,” said O’Malley.

The governor was asked about previous statements that he believes marriage is between a man and a woman.

“I have always believed in the dignity of every individual,” O’Malley responded. “I believe in our own responsibility to advance the greater good. And I also believe there’s a unity to spirit and matter and what we do in our lifetimes does matter.”

A week ago, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake pledged her support to legalizing single gender couples.

Supporters hope to repeat the success of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who got a same-sex marriage bill passed last month.

“I believe that New York showed you could do those things. You could protect religious freedoms and you can also protect rights equally, and that’s what we’re going to do in this upcoming session,” O’Malley said.

Defenders of one man, one woman marriage plan to fight back.

“We don’t want that, and it’s not going to happen,” said one opponent.

If history does repeat itself, the battle will be fought here. Governor O’Malley acknowledges he has a lot of work to do. And opponents vowed that even if the law passes they will make sure is it goes to referendum, although O’Malley says that is not his focus.

A same-sex marriage bill passed the Senate last year but failed to get a vote in the House.

More from Pat Warren
Comments

1. KottaMan says:

O’TaxMe is clueless. Instead of worrying about this trivia, get us some JOBS. This additional part of the gay agenda is DOA in Annapolis.

1. Think outside the box says:

Think about the jobs that will be created with gay weddings. Huh? Huh? We have lots of disposable income, don’t you know?

2. sharon, in middle river says:

O’malley sucks. always has always will. no gay marriage!!!!!!!!!!! tax tax tax is his way. get rid of him.

3. Dave Bloxom says:

Why? Why? Why am I forced to accept, what I believe to be an abnormal lifestyle as normal just because their “union” and my “union” are given the same name? Why can’t the same rights & privileges be extended to the term “Civil Union”?

I personally don’t agree with the lifestyle, but from one human to another, how you conduct/live your life, so long as it doesn’t infringe on the rights of others is none of my business…Knock yourself out, Live & let live says I.

1. Think outside the box says:

Good for O’Malley! Dave, in my eyes your lifestyle is abnormal.

I honestly don’t care that it seems to bother you. I’m just saying, those who have the biggest problems with it turn out to be the biggest closet cases.

4. JackDaniels says:

OWE-MALLEY IS SUCH A DOOSH-BAG!!!!

AND, I DOUBT THERE WILL BE AN ENTIRELY NEW ECONOMY THAT “GROWS UP” AROUND GAY MARRIAGES………………I’M SURE THE PEOPLE ALREADY EMPLOYED TO ARRANGE STRAIGHT MARRIAGES WILL ALSO BE ABLE TO PLAN AND HANDLE GAY MARRIAGES…………….SO, THE ASSERTION THAT GAY MARRIAGES WILL CREATE A GO-ZILLION JOBS IS UNFOUNDED AND LITTLE MORE THAN A GUESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THIS SAME THINKING HAS LED DEMOCRATS LIKE OWE-MALLEY TO ASSERT THAT A GRAND PRIX RACE IN BALTIMORE WILL CREATE JOBS AND HELP THE ECONOMY……………….ANOTHER GRATUITOUS ASSERTION!!!!!!

5. Just thinking... says:

Quote “I’m just saying, those who have the biggest problems with it turn out to be the biggest closet cases.”

Oh, really? Do you have any research to share/back that up? Just how exactly is a heterosexual lifestyle abnormal in your eyes?

I agree, let them have their lifestyle, just don’t give it the same name as traditional marriage, because it’s simply not… Marriage is between a man and a woman, legally and otherwise. Call it a civil union, or be sure to add the words same-sex or gay to their marriage. Heck, while they’re at it, might as well go ahead and define “traditional marriage” as such.

As far as gays having disposable income, perhaps that is how it got passed in New York. It narrowly passed there and I understand that Home Depot lobbied/supported (financially and otherwise) it. Perhaps O Malley sees that money talks…

6. Sam says:

If this is legalized then polygamy should also be legalized.

7. John S says:

What’s everyone getting so worked up for? The definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman has only been around for 6000 yrs. Just because its the oldest institution in the world put there by God almighty, that means nothing next to the supreme intellect of the modern day liberal. After all, they did solve the economic crisis. Just blame on Bush, while continuing his policies and pushing them into high gear.