FIRST WARNING WX: Freeze Warning | Frost Advisory

Camel Bites Woman At Catoctin Zoo In Maryland

THURMONT, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a woman bitten by a camel at a zoo near Thurmont needed two stitches to close the wound.

Frederick County Animal Control Officer Harold Domer said Friday that 29-year-old Dina MacDonald of Olney was bitten on the right forearm Thursday afternoon during a safari ride at the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo.

Domer says passengers on the ride can buy food to feed certain animals. But he says they are told not to feed the camels,
particularly the adult male named Malachi that bit the woman.

Domer says the camel is quarantined at the zoo and being monitored for signs of illness.

The zoo was cited by federal inspectors in 2009 for failing to properly train and supervise workers after a zookeeper was mauled by a jaguar.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

1. Bruce Simpson says:

It sounds like the zoo is adding new features and hopefully a negative event or 2 doesn’t set them back any.
    We used to go there many years ago when there was no Safari Ride, but they had a petting zoo.
    I’ll never forget the personalities of Tank the tortoise, Griz the grizzly bear and of course Hoffstetter who loved a bit of candy.
    I just hope the camel didn’t catch anything from that woman.

1. Jeff Everhart says:

I can’t wait till Ally the Alligator stops wagging her tail enough so we can ride her

2. Cyndi Ryan says:

I have been to that zoo. The animals are aggitated and unhappy. It isn’t very clean and is actually pretty depressing. It is definitely not a place I would recommend to anyone.

I hope the WOMAN is okay.

3. Kathryn says:

Slow news day….

4. Brenda Cole says:

Animals don’t belong in Zoo’s! Live in a cage when you are meant to be roaming miles per day and see what it does to your disposition. Another disgraceful practice of animal exploitation hidden behind the veil of “education”.
    That said, I wish the woman a speedy recovery and hope she holds no bias toward the animal.

1. independent says:

….as commented from a cubicle. I agree! I’m planning my escape as we speak…

5. Camel lover says:

I hope the camel is o.k. Brenda get a life.