Baltimore Police Search For Canton Robbery Suspect

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — There’s a warning for anyone in Canton, Fells Point and Butcher’s Hill after a terrifying string of robberies.  Police believe one man may be behind them all.

Mike Hellgren has more on the investigation and the young women being targeted.

The robber has a handgun, has been violent and has targeted groups of women in their 20s.  The latest victims were tourists.  Police are now saturating the area with patrols.

The frightening crimes unfolded after dark in some of Baltimore’s most popular neighborhoods: Canton, Fells Point and Butcher’s Hill.  Women have been robbed at gunpoint.  The masked gunman has taken off with cash, phones and keys.

“I want everyone in Baltimore to know who Jerry is,” said Anthony Guglielmi.

Jerry Hercum doesn’t have a long rap sheet but police believe he may have been connected to all the crimes—four armed robberies spread across the area from July 4 to last weekend.

“We’re pulling out all the stops.  We want Mr. Hercum to be famous and we want him caught immediately,” Guglielmi said.

“Coming out of the bars, coming home, it’s a little nerve-wracking,” said Katie McNeely.

McNeely lives next to the Canton Market, where the first group of women were targeted.

“I’m not going anywhere by myself.  I’m going to always keep my cell phone out, keep my keys out in my hand, maybe carry some pepper spray,” McNeely said.

One of the latest robberies was Saturday on South Potomac Street, not far from Canton Square.  In this case, the woman was hit in the head when the suspect asked for her keys.  The suspect left in a Lexus without license plates.

“I’ve always thought that this area is a pretty good area.  I’ve never been concerned for my safety at all,” said Kevin Seigworth.

That same night, a family visiting from Connecticut was robbed on Patterson Park Avenue by a masked gunman who asked them to throw their valuables into the street.

“It’s very shocking, especially in this area.  I always thought this was a safe area,” said Sandy Wilson.

If you see  Hercum, police want you to call them right away.

Police say witnesses and suspects both led them to suspect Hercum.

More from Mike Hellgren
Comments

1. Gracey says:

Shocking…in Baltimore. What is shocking is the utter stupidity expressed by the respondents. It is Baltimore. Do you think that the murderer’s and rapist and robbers are roped into only the poor areas? That is the problem. As long as crime is happening to ‘those’ folk, it is ok. This mentality by many police departments and people. The reality is, it will leak out and poison other areas.

Get a clue, buy one.

2. Sean says:

Couldn’t agree more with Gracey. I live in Canton and still can not believe the number of times I hear “but I thought this was a safe neighborhood” type comments. Canton is NOT a safe neighborhood–it is a SAFER neighborhood. I don’t live in fear for my life, but at the same time I don’t walk around the city with my head up my ass completely ignorant of the realities of urban life.

3. Josh says:

Canton again…really is this a surprise anymore, this is almost everyday now?, so its a bad neighborhood before the red line, image what it can be after the red line.

Get the cops out of the cars and on bike or walking around these bad neighborhood.

4. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

I HAVE BEEN IN CANTON FOR 56YRS AND LET ME TELL YOU THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “SAFE” NEIGHBORHOOD! a SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD WOULD CONSIST OF A UNIFORMED POLICEMAN ON EVERY CORNER OF EVERY STREET. WHEN I WAS A LAD IT WAS THE CUSTOM IN THE SUMMERTIME TO SIT ON THE FRONT STEPS AND CHAT WITH THE NEIGHBORS AND YOU COULD SEE WHO WAS “PASSING THROUGH”. PEOPLE NEED TO BE MORE CONCERNED WHO IS “PASSING THRU” IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND KEEP ONE EYE OPEN. BE AWARE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES!!

5. Bill in Fells Point says:

Remember, fellow Bawlmerians … when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. How about this for a change: Wake up, kick O’Malley and the D-Machine out of Annapolis, and get “shall-issue” concealed carry passed in MD. As long as the crooks have weapons and are sure you don’t, it’s gonna be a problem.

6. MyAfroItches says:

Can someone please tell me what the h*ll that is in the picture above omgggg??????a wild animal??????? a ape?????? I think the monkey got out of its cage along with the rest of them in baltimore city ! ! ! !