BGE Sorry For Long AC Shutoffs During Heat Wave

BALTIMORE (AP) — The Baltimore Gas and Electric Company is apologizing for long air conditioning shutoffs during a heat wave in late July.

The Baltimore Sun reports that the utility has sent a letter apologizing for its performance. BGE activated its so-called “Peak Rewards” program on July 22 during a heat wave. Customers that participate in the voluntary program agree to a full or partial reduction in the running of their air conditioning during peak times. In exchange they get credits on their annual bills of up to $200.

The shutoffs in late July, however, were particularly long. Approximately 70,000 customers had their air conditioning shut off completely from 11:30 a.m. until late that night. The utility says it is reviewing its Peak Rewards procedures as a result.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. givemeabreak says:

SORRY?!?!?!?!?! BGE is the absolute worst.

2. fraught says:

People all in an uproar because they didn’t get their expected dose of cooled air. My god, how utterly tragic. Only 12 hours of air conditioning? How barbaric. How is the human species supposed to survive!?!?

1. reallynow says:

Imagine you had an elderly person, pet or a child in your household on those days when BGE cut off the air when it was almost 100 degrees outside. You were at work and had no idea it happened until you came home at about 6-7pm. And when you came home, you find that your residence is in 90 degree temps, and your child, elderly relative and pet had to sit in it for hours.

Is it “”tragic”” and “”barbaric”” then??

2. H8idiotslikeu says:

Moron, the agreement does not indicate a 12 hour shut off. It indicates a few hours at most at a time. You need a life and a lobotomy- you aren’t using either particularly well….

3. LOREN SHIPPY says:

I was a participating customer of the peak reward program on the day they shut of my air conditioning. I do not receive a $200.00 decrease in billed services per year. Who told that lie. It was sweltering in my home. I have taken steps to withdraw from this program at my own expense. That was to long to go without air in triple digit heat it is down right dangerous.

4. Alex says:

Refund all monies customers paid to BGE in the month of May, June and July.
    That settles it.

5. NOT HAPPY IN BALTIMORE says:

BGE IS NOTING BUT PIRATES! THEY CONVENIIENTLY TURNED OFF MY A/C ON FRIDAY, JULY 1ST – THE LONG 4TH OF JULY WEEKEND AND I WAS UNABLE TO GET MY SERVICE TURNED ON WITHOUT MAKING A FULL BALANCE PAYMENT WITH ALL PENALTIES. I WENT 40-DAYS WITHOUT ANY AIR OR LIGHTS! EACH TIME I CALLED I WAS GIVEN A DIFFERENT INCREASE OF THE AMOUNT TO PAY — I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO FRUSTRATED! OH YEA AND I GET A LOUSY $12.50 A MONTH CREDIT – HOW DOES THAT ADD UP TO $200??

1. Nancy says:

Yea, I want to meet the person who received that $200 credit, b/c it surely wasn’t me!! After I called and complained I was told my credit was $12.50 for 4 months. Last time I checked that equals $50, not $200!! (I did pass 2nd grade math).

6. Scott says:

BGE=EPIC FAIL just when you think youve seen it all Baltimore Gas and Electic drops the ball.. Youve outdone yourself on this one BGE.Hopefully some alternative energy solutions come available in the coming years so people can really tell BGE how they feel about them.Peak reward huh..WOW

7. Alan says:

I have a proven method of not getting my A/C shut off. Step one: don’t enroll in a program that requests that they shut off your A/C during peak times. It works very well for me.

1. Cantstandidiots says:

Yes, but when it is promised that “a few hours at most” you think you’d get by with a couple of fans, but when it hits 12- your house becomes too hot to bare. How about criticizing something you know about?

8. Sean says:

Anyone who enrolled in the program and is now complaining about it is an idiot. Read the fine print and stop blaming the company. I have 100% Peak Rewards because everyone in my household is out of the house M-F 9-5. If you have small children, pets, or a health condition… or YOU’RE HOME DURING THE DAY, don’t sign up for it you idiot!

Sure we came home from work and the AC wasn’t on until about 8:00, but we just watched TV in the basement where it was cool until it came back on, no problem.

1. Nancy says:

Not everyone knowingly enrolled in the program. I, for example, was enrolled w/out any notification b/c the tenant before me had it and BGE decided to carry it over w/out seeing if I wanted it. Think about all aspects of a situation first before you call people names, ‘idiot!’

2. ASAHOLEMORONICUS says:

okay, “IDIOT” if you don’t have a basement and they shut it off ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT what the eff are you supposed to do? It was never agreed for 6 hours or more. You need a moron check for sure!

1. Sean says:

This is exactly what I’m talking about: Take responsibility for your lives people!

First off, they didn’t shut anyone off overnight. It was turned back on by about 8pm. Secondly, there was no promise that it would only be off for six hours in any of the fine print. Third, the basement is just a personal example. Visit a relative, go to the mall or grocery store and run some errands until it’s back on. People lived without AC for thousands of years, stop acting like you’re oppressed here.

Nancy’s situation is more understandable and certainly her landlord should have explained the situation… but it still says Energy Saver right there on your thermostat and you could have called BGE and inquired about it when you moved in.

9. Patricia Bee says:

And so far as I know, BGE hasn’t killed anyone (YET) with their “peak rewards” program. Didn’t realize the reward would be absolutely no AC at all (rather than the 1 hr or/1 hr off like the rep promised) on the hottest day of the year. There was NO talk of reading the fine print in the sales call! Yes, I was an idiot once! Be assured, I won’t be an idiot twice. I believe people are honest… until they prove otherwise. Thx BGE for teaching me to never trust you or your reps ever again. Big credibility gap BUT FINALLY an apology.

I normally keep my AC for my small house at 78 degrees. It was brutally hot indoors yesterday thanks to my stupidly signing up for BG&E peak rewards. Felt the same indoors as outdoors. The reward program may work find for people who are out of their houses most of the day but for people who are in house all day, it’s a disaster.

Here’s a question. How come MD utilities don’t promote alternate energy sources like other states do. Here in MD if you get solar energy and feed back into the grid, you only get credit for that month. Other states, the credit extends for the whole year. Now that’s an incentive! BGE’s not about customer service, it’s not about energy savings, it’s ALL about monopoly and making money for the utility and stockholders.

A $100-200 buck a year savings from BG&E rewards is totally lost when you have to spend that money to go elsewhere to find a safe temperature. Mind you I said safe – not even requiring comfortable!

10. daycare mom says:

I, too, am a member of Peak Rewards. I think the only apology needed is for not stressing to customers that if you have a health condition, or don’t have a place to go during an emergency, it probably isn’t recommended for you. It should be advertised as a ‘green’ program, and not one that saves you money. I am very proud to have helped avoid a blackout for the people who have health conditions.

11. Tom says:

BGE is such a sorry excuse for a company. They have scheduled power outages for equipment replacements in the middle of summer here. I lived in PA for 12 years, never had that happen there, ever. Why can’t BGE put this off until late September?

12. Kristine says:

I like my credit – with the new agreement it’s 25 a month (not 12.50 anymore) – double the first four months – so that’s the 200.00 – if you choose 100%. I did not mind being turned off at 1108am until 745pm, My problem was my unit did not kick back on on its own. And I did not know it should be back on. That stunk. And I think what BGE needs to do it have the reps explain better how it works. Whether they know and are tring to candy coat it or maybe they don’t understand. The reps make you think that you rotate with others and that it will only happen M-F until 6pm or so. My rep explained it this way and I thoguht, why not, we are at work. But again, I love my credit! I am still ok with it. I think we all should conserve where we can.