Local Burger Place Reopens 30 Years Later

TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) — A Baltimore mainstay returns to its hometown.  Hundreds of people stood in line for an old-fashioned Gino’s Giant Wednesday.

Weijia Jiang has more.

From the moment it opened to minutes before it closed, hundreds waited to get into Gino’s.

“It was good then; it is also good now,” said one.

“It’s a Baltimore tradition,” said another.

The tradition was revived Wednesday after being closed for three decades.  The burger joint’s namesake, Baltimore Colts Hall of Famer Gino Marchetti, opened the first restaurant with friends in 1957.

“Gino’s in the 50s and 60s was much bigger than McDonald’s was.  We were the first fast food company here,” said Jay Lutskus, Gino’s Franchise Development.

It was a big deal thanks to a big sandwich: the Gino Giant.

“It is exactly the way I remember, which is really cool,” said one.

But there’s something else that’s pulling in the customers: nostalgia.

“She had mustard all over her braces from the Gino Giant.  It wasn’t one of my favorite kisses but it was my favorite lunch,” said Mark Berman.

Gino’s in Towson is the second restaurant to open.  The other location is in Gino’s hometown of King of Prussia, Pa.

Click here for more information.

Comments

1. bob1961 says:

This will definately bring back old memories for me and as well as Baltimore Colt fans.I know a lot of people that I know already can’t wait to go there and remininse about going to Gino’s after the football games.

2. Dee says:

There used to be a Ginos right on the corner of Eastern Ave and Stemmers Run Road….I used to leave school early with friends and hit Ginos before going home. Gino Giant was the best!

1. JOE says:

I LIVED FOR THE WEEKEND TO JUST HANG OUT THERE
      AND GOT MY FIRST JOB THERE TOO
      COOKING FRIES ,NOW THAT WAS THE GOLDEN YEARS

1. Jennifer Warwick says:

My Dad had his first job there as well. I was wondering where in Towson Ginos is

2. Jennifer Warwick says:

My dad used to work there as well. Where in Towson in Gino’s located.

3. Amber Hutchinson says:

Gino’s was one of my Mother’s first jobs. She is going to be THRILLED with this news!!! I am excited as well to actually have the chance to “go back in time” if you will, and watch what I have envisioned from my Mother’s stories come to life. It’s going to be a great experience for my Mother, and I to have together. I have the feeling that the reopening of Gino’s is going to create a lot of opportunity for family bonding. This is very exhilarating; I cannot wait!

4. glenda wells says:

There was another great place on reisterstown road back in the 50’s called Ameche’s, also colt related. I will never forget the powerhouse platter. It was the best I ever tasted. My husband of 53 years used to take me there often when we were dating. I think that is one of the reasons we married, he kept me well fed.

5. Go Ravens says:

I’m gonna have to go to Towson sometime this week and try the Gino Giant. It sounds appetizing!

6. ladyshirley says:

My local Gino’s in the mid 60’s was on Pulaski Hwy. by Armistead Gardens. It was the place to go and the food was great. And at that time, I had never heard of the “other place.” LOL

7. JOE says:

My first job was cooking fries and when i past the burger test i made 10 cents
    more an hour. the best time i had is when i waited on customers all the pretty girls and the fights too
    stemmers run and eastern ave THE HEADS FOUGHT THE REDS

8. JOE says:

RIDE THRU THE PARKING LOT OVER AND OVER AGAIN ON A WEEKEND
    NIGHT WAS AWESOME
    I REMEMBER ONE NIGHT I WAS WORKING AND SOMEONE CALLED IN A BOMB SCARE JUST TO CLOSE THE PLACE SO A FRIEND COULD GET OFF EARLY IT WORKED AND OF COURSE THERE WAS NO BOMB, I ALSO REMEMBER THE NIGHT A FAKE TEN DOLLAR BILL WAS PASSED
    YOU DIDN’T NEED TO BE SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER TO NOTICE THAT IT WAS FAKE STEMMERS AND EASTERN

9. JOE says:

GINO’S,T BIRD AND THE CIRCLE THEN CONVOY OVER THE 25 CENT BRIDGE TO WATCH THE DRAG RACES
    NOW THAT WOULD MAKE A GREAT REALITY SHOW
    THANKS GINO FOR THAT PART OF MY CHILDHOOD
    IT WAS GREAT

10. Chef Rickard says:

I first remember Gino’s Giant from their promotion on the Buddy Dean dance program that was very popular. Wow they were sure good and I have often told how they were the forerunner of the Big Mac and folks look at me like I’m from another planet.

11. CMB says:

What is the address????

1. bob1961 says:

Is mat the intersection of Joppa and Lasalle rds. Next to applebee’s.Across form the old bendix building.

12. Craig says:

Great memories. I’ll be taking the whole family down. I still have a Christmas ornament wrapped in an old Gino’s napkin!

13. Theresa Rolle says:

Does anyone remember that even before Gino’s there was Ameche’s at Loch Raven and Taylor Ave.? Ameche’s had the Powerhouse burger that was similar to the Gino Giant.

14. JIM DECK says:

A new place for Baltimore police to hang out

15. David says:

Now if we could just get Little Tavern back,i would be a happy camper.

16. Barney says:

Ameche’s at Ritchie Hy & 5th St. in Glen Burnie was our hangout. Those were the days!!!