Artie Donovan’s Stolen Championship Ring Returned

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—More than three decades ago, Baltimore Colt great Artie Donovan had a priceless piece of sports memorabilia stolen.

Now, as Mike Schuh reports, those stolen goods have been returned to the Hall of Famer.

On Tuesday, Ravens players worked out at the castle. Sitting on the porch, invited for the old timers’ luncheon, was Hall of Famer Artie Donovan.

After his championship season in 1958, he and the rest of the team were given rings celebrating the game. But Donovan didn’t wear it.

“I never wore jewelry,” he said. “I only wore the ring around my nose. I met the girl from Baltimore and it was all over.”

He’s talking about his wife Dottie. Decades ago she took their high school and college rings and the ring with his name inscribed inside and put them on a bracelet.

Then in 1977 they went to Hong Kong.

“So she made a bracelet out of all those rings, and I think a maid in the hotel didn’t know what the hell it was all about and took it,” Donovan said.

That was 34 years ago. Then the ring popped up on Craigslist.

“I’m astounded two detectives from Howard County had to call me to tell me they found the ring,” Donovan said.

Somehow it made its way to Elkridge. The detectives set up a fake buy, recovered it, authenticated it and gave it back to Donovan.

Donovan says he’s glad to have it back, but his memories of playing are more important.

“I’m glad to get the ring back,” he said. “I think I’ll pass it on to either one of my two grandsons. I’ll let them flip a coin and whoever wins it, it’s yours,” he said.

Donovan and Dottie say that from now on they’re going to keep it locked up in a safe place.

The other rings that were on Dottie’s bracelet are still missing.

Police determined the man selling the ring didn’t know it was stolen, so no charges were filed.

More from Mike Schuh
Comments

1. AllTypesOfShapes says:

Whatever happened to receiving stolen goods!!! Why do you think he advertised it on Craigslist??? What RaceWasHe????

1. Winkpooh says:

please don’t start this foolishness about race. it’s people like you who keep the problem alive and thriving.

2. Rich says:

Artie must be jumping with joy……we just had an earthquake here in Pasadena, Md. For real, and unusually big. Now I know why.

1. Michael Nauton says:

WHAT’S THE DIFFERANCE WHAT HIS RACE IS ?

yOU HAVE MY PITTY !

3. moncler says:

Love the blog, Ill be back again soon.Come pay a visit to my posting woodworking machinery.continue with the the good function on the news. Moncler coats men. I’ve authored a way more detailed discussion about this subject which I hope most likely will serve as some sort of philosophical framework.

4. TIRED OF THE DRAMA says:

PEOPLE OF ALL RACES STEAL KEEP RACE A NON FACTER OUT OF THIS ISSUE

5. Leonard D. Harris says:

Agreed TIREDOF THE DRAMA this is just a happy story and I think we all should just feel good about it!

6. Daisy says:

Race is not the issue here. According to other news sources, It got stolen in JAPAN in 1977. Its more a story of a local hero and the long strange trip of his prized ring. It IS a happy story with a nice ending.

1. Daisy says:

Hmmm, this article says Hong Kong. AOL said Japan, that’s a pretty big detail to get confused! LOL