Father Of Md. Man Held In Aruba: Son Not A Monster

WASHINGTON (WJZ) — A Maryland man behind bars in Aruba could walk free Wednesday. He’s being held in connection with Robyn Gardner’s disappearance but there’s still no concrete evidence.

Kai Jackson has the possible turning point in the case and the first public words from Gary Giordano’s father.

Frank Giordano says his son is not the person being painted by his critics.

“The least I can do is stand up for my son and tell the world that what they’ve been hearing about him is not true. He’s not a monster,” Giordano said.

The 80-year-old father of Marylander Gary Giordano appeared on NBC’s “Today Show” Tuesday. Gary Giordano is being held by police in Aruba. He’s the prime suspect in connection with the disappearance of another Marylander, Robyn Gardner.

“He was a good human being,” Giordano said.

Gardner and Giordano went to Aruba together for vacation. She was last seen with him Aug. 2. Giordano told Aruban police she disappeared while the two snorkeled. He was taken into custody. On Aug.15, a judge ruled there was enough evidence to hold Giordano another 16 days. That time expires Wednesday and means Giordano could be released.

“The defense is going to weigh in and say we don’t have a body, we don’t have proof that this is anything but a tragic accident. You have no reason to hold on to my client,” said Martin Savidge, CNN.

Search teams have scoured the island for Gardner, with Giordano helping at one point. So far, they’ve come up empty-handed.

“I don’t know the young lady,” Frank Giordano said. “I’ve never met her or heard Gary talk about her.”

Frank Giordano’s girlfriend has known Gary for years and says she’s never seen him out of line with a woman.

Comments

1. Sylvan Finkelstein says:

IF YOUR SON IS GOOD TO HIS FAMILY AND CLOSE WITH HIS KIDS,THEN WHAT’S HE DOING WITH SOME HONEY IN ARUBA? AND ALSO HOW COME HE TOOK OUT A LIFE INS POLICY AGAINST HER,HEY DADDY YOU BEST WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES,YOUR SON AIN’T ALL THAT

2. Mary says:

Sylvan…..right on. Too bad the reporter did not address that in the interview.

3. antoinette shorter says:

Get it pops….80 years old with a girlfriend!!! Seriously, I wanna be like you when I grow up!! Pimpin’ til I die….your son did it though and while you may not want to believe your son is capable of doing such a horrific thing, the life insurance policy speaks volumes.

4. It's Possible says:

Not so fast people. How about insurance fraud planned by them both. Money makes people do the strangest things.

1. Winkpooh says:

Oh my damn…………….I never thought about that. It sounds very possible. Thanks for shedding new light on this strange situation. All I can say is this: People, instead of spending money on a divorce attorney, just take your spouse to Aruba. Problem solved ! ! ! ! ! (just kidding……….NOT) 🙂

5. SPACE RANGER says:

@ It,s Possible, I agree with that.

6. Casay says:

I say she is alive in another country waiting for him.