ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland’s highest court has ruled that a law giving owners of certain rental properties immunity from personal injury lawsuits based on a child’s ingestion of lead-based paint is invalid.

The Court of Appeals issued the 7-0 ruling on Monday.

The court ruled that provisions of the 1994 Reduction of Lead Risk In Housing Act granting immunity are invalid.

The court says the maximum amount of compensation under the law for a child found to be permanently brain damaged from ingesting lead paint after a landlord’s negligence results in “either no compensation” or “drastically inadequate compensation.”

The ruling was made in a case that began in 2002 in Baltimore when plaintiffs sought damages after a girl suffered brain injuries allegedly resulting from her ingestion of lead-based paint.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments (2)
  1. Bernard Mc Kernan says:

    This was justv another money grab attempt by the P.O.C. & their shyster lawyers.
    Everybody including white people lived with lead based paints before the sixties. That was the only kind of paint available dummies as Latex had not been invented.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
CBS All Access

Watch & Listen LIVE