Jury Finds Walter Bishop Guilty Of Killing Towson Gas Station Owner

BEL AIR, Md. (WJZ)– A twisted murder-for-hire plot ends in a guilty verdict for the man who pulled the trigger.

Meghan McCorkell has the dramatic taped confession that swayed the jury.

It took a jury under five hours to convict Walter Bishop Jr. of first-degree murder, and WJZ has obtained the key piece of evidence that could lead to his execution.

In his own words, Bishop described how he killed 49-year-old William Ray Porter.

“As soon as he come around the corner, he’d just started to turn his head, and I just went like this,” Bishop said.

In the tape, recorded in an interrogation room the day Bishop was arrested, the gunman explained the bizarre murder-for-hire plot that went down inside a Towson gas station owned by the victim.

“I walked in, I aimed towards his face, I closed my eyes and I pulled the trigger,” Bishop said.

At the center of the scheme said Bishop, was Karla Porter, the victim’s wife. He claims she promised to pay him $9,000 to kill her husband in March 2010. After Bishop walked in and fired the gun, he says Porter turned to him and asked one question.

“She asked if he was dead. I said, `I guess.’ She said, `Go,'” Bishop said.

With the taped confession, Bishop could face the death penalty under a new Maryland law. His lawyers argued he didn’t know he was being recorded.

Outside the courtroom, a friend said Bishop got mixed up with the wrong crowd.

“He’s got five kids. He’s never been in trouble before. He’s never been arrested for anything before,” said Steve Strouth.

The jury could sentence Bishop to death or life in prison. The penalty phase of the trial starts Thursday.

Six people in total were arrested in the murder-for-hire plot. Five have now been found guilty. Karla Porter is expected to go on trial sometime next year.

More from Meghan McCorkell

Oh NO, caucasians killing caucasians??????? I thought there was only Black on Black crime. I guess caucasians murder people too. I guess race does not matter.
    CRIME IS CRIME and those commiting crime should be brought to justice.

2. adraine says:

why you bring color in this situation white been killing since the beginning of time.THEY ARE NATURAL BORN KILLERS!

3. April Hough says:

@Adraine, THANK YOU!!! For the person who commented about the race…Look back in history, you will see that every serial killer (except for two) have been white! And statistically there is more white on white crime than black. Just so you know.

4. willy joe says:

That c…….t of a wife should be fed to the Buzzards first.

5. Sheriff's BFF says:

@Sheriff…go kill yourself!! Thanks!!

6. JO JO DANCER says:

Sheriff and willy joe, you should do some research on the origin of the human race it might surprise you. If black have chimp blood in their DNA whites also have the same DNA.

7. Michael Spencer says:

I am just going through all the comments and correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this story about one human killing another innocent human? I hope this guy gets the death penalty and I applaud Maryland for still having the death penalty on the books.
    It doesn’t matter if you red, white, green, brown, yellow etc when you’re dead, it’s when you’re alive people seem to make a big deal out of it.
    If anyone ever asks us what race we are or what citizenship we have, our reply is always the same:” We are citizen of the world.