Owings Mills Mall To Be Demolished To Make Way For A Town Center

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (WJZ)– Owings Mills Mall is getting a makeover. Thursday, Baltimore County leaders announced plans to revive the mall, starting with a demolition.

Monique Griego has more on the plan.

Empty parking lots and abandoned stores.

“It’s pretty deserted,” shopper Orlando Holley said.

Over the years, Owings Mills Mall went from booming to bust. Residents like Brian Deleonardo watched as customers left and retailers followed.

“As you walk through the mall, there’s large portions where there’s no shops or just no activity at all,” he said. “Because of that, it gives you feeling that it’s a dying mall.”

But the mall is now getting a breath of life. Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz announced plans to demolish most of the mall to turn it into a town center.

“Now, we’re seen a de-malling where we’re taking away the indoor concept and allow walkability between stores,” he said.

Kamenentz brought in two powerhouse retail developers to make it happen.

Kamenetz thinks this mall failed because it wasn’t able to compete with nearby shopping centers that went from indoor to outdoor. He believes this project will bring those customers back.

“It will have the same foot print as those other malls and I think the people will come,” Holley said.

Project leaders are still working on a final design and list of retailers but say they plan to break ground in the spring 2013. Customers can’t wait.

“People won’t drive the 20 minutes to another mall because they’ll have the same product in their own backyard, and I think everybody is looking forward to that,” Deleonardo said.

Project leaders say they plan on keeping some of the current department stores and a movie theatre and will incorporate them into a new design. The town center is expected to open in mid to late 2014.

The project is expected to cost $65 million to $75 million. None of that will come from the county. It will be funded by the two developers.

Comments

1. daerco says:

it’s about damn time!

1. the truth says:

daerco, You must be a tree jumper looking for a new chicken wing / cell phone outlet.

2. Owings Mills says:

I remember when the mall first opened in 1986! It was spectacular! Members of the cast of the popular TV show, “Dynasty” were there for the grand opening as well as members of the “The Cosby Show.” The mall was very upscale. However, less upscale people over the years started coming up on the Metro Subway from the worst pasrt of Baltimore and started committing loiterin and crime–including the murder of a young woman on the foot path that used to run from the subway to the mall. Other crimes included stabbings and even a carjacking/ kidnapping. The mall became a crime magnet and more and more affluent people started fearing for their safety and stopping going to the mall. Hopefully, all this renovation will include zero tolerance for obnoxious teenagers and dangerous criminals. The new planned mall will failed just like the current amll without rules of conduct and law and order. I’ve lived in owings Mills Newtown for eleven years now and I’ve been very sad to see the mall’s decline over the past decade.

3. LIVE IN OWINGS MILL says:

YOU CAN CHANGE THE MALL BUT NOT THE AREA. HINT HINT. KILL THE METRO AT NIGHT AND YOU WILL BE OK OTHERWISE YOU ARE DOOMED TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE

4. CRAIG says:

I LIVED IN RANDALLSTOWN AND HAVE SEEN THE CHANGE. I WILL SAY IT’S NOT THE OLDER BLACKS THEY ARE A PLEASURE TO LIVE AROUND. BOTH OF MY MOTHERS NEIGHBORS ARE BLACK AND ARE WONDERFULL, WITH THAT SAIS IT;S THE YOUNG THUGS WHO WANT TO BE GANGSTER AND ACT HARD. THEY RUN THE STREETS OF NEW TOWN LIKE PACKS OF WOLFS. IT’S ASHAME BECAUSE THERE ARE GOOD PEOPLE OUT THERE

5. D-WILL says:

I live in the Randallstown/Owings Mills area and have since 1984….and yes I’m Black. Systemically you can’t say why the mall went down because…”because Blacks from areas” started to come and made it crime ridden. A trend just developed where kids started to go to Towson towne mall and Columbia. They were the same kids that were brought to Owings Mills by their parents or did so with older siblings. I know because that’s what I’ve heard from other parents and it’s what my kids (10 yrs in age difference) did. When the Mall first opened the Jewish population from that area and Pikesville thought the mall was exclusively theirs. At the first hint of Blacks coming there, they started to stop shopping. There is more crime in Towsontowne where there have been several murders because the Gentiles (younger population)in that area and general vicinity are not afraid of Blacks. Things are changing amongst our youth and they see they have more in common. For you Craig who says “older blacks are a pleasure to be around”. I wonder how you felt when you were younger. Some kids, are not fun to be around because we’re old and don’t understand them. I don’t like a lot of their ways but they weren’t even around when the Mall started having problems.

6. D-WILL says:

I meant to end the sentence when I said : There is more crime in Towsontowne mall where there have been several murders . I wanted to say the young kids …gentiles and others won’t stop coming because they are not afraid.

7. Cindy Fox says:

Where are the shopper and community surveys to support these conclusions of why the mall failed and what will work?

8. mil says:

It has nothing to do with white or black. In my opinion it has to do with ignorant teenagers. Many of us were that way once! But its just common sense that no one wants to spend their day shopping if they feel like they will be swarmed by annoying teens.shopping areas are already crowded enough!! Keep the stores high end and keep out stores like american eagle, victorias secret spencers and abercrombie. Those stores are crack for teens lol. Instead try jos a bank, coldwater creek, pier1

9. mil says:

Oh and I’m 27 and white🙂

10. jel says:

How stupid do you think we are….remove the indoor protected environment and most of the store mix and it will become so much more attractive to shoppers…sure we all prefer outdoors malls during cold wet winters and hot summers.
    If the coded verbage is really make it less attractive so the criminals are not attracted and it becomes safer then I can buy it to a degree.
    I guess that is where we are today..rather than enforce laws and hold people of all ages responsibile for their actions we make excuses……

11. cathy says:

I agree with some of the above statements,When they first built that mall I went there all the time,but they brought in the lightrail and went down hill,to many black kids coming up from city,they need to take away the train,and the cheapy stores like spencers,the food court where they hang and put high end stores,Changing the mall from inside to outside will not change the community.When I moved to owingsmills yrs ago it was mostly white,but when they put the light rail and the movies in it became a magnet for black kids to hang out

12. Say What! says:

Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz announced plans to demolish most of the mall to turn it into a town center….what the hell Mr. Kamenetz? What business model did you get this idea from? The big equation here is feeling safe, secure, non-treating…..spreading stores further a part by making it a outdoor configuration…yea I will feel more secure specially at night with dark spots between parking lots and clumped buildings. Where ever did you come up with this “business model” I assure you it already shows failure and at who’s expense…..latter they will say “who knew”……

13. victor says:

Kevin Kamenetz doesn’t have to live with this black trash. End of story.

14. Kay says:

Wow! There are certainly some very strong opinions here!! I am Black and have lived in Randallstown for over 30 years. I think the mall died due to a number of factors. One, the increased crime was connected to the extension of the subway station to this area. Enough said! Secondly, other malls like Towson Towne Center expanded and attracted more high end shoppers there. When you have the choice of a smaller mall that has troublesome teens hanging out and highly reported crime or a much larger one with higher end stores that also may have some rowdy teens and lesser reported crimes but you feel safer, there is not choice. People, self included, have flocked to Towson, Hunt Valley and Columbia. I think it’s a shame because there is plenty of money in the Owings Mills, Randallstown area and we deserve to have shops here. We’ll see. Law enforcement will definitely need to step its game up, as will citizens.

1. joethe coon hater says:

Kay, You just refuse to see the truth for what it is. Who is making the loud menacing noise & killing off sales to merchants in the mall due to their arrogant behavior? It isn’t the white Jewish boys, I can assure you. Get a grip on the truth your race is hoodlums.

15. katong regency says:

I am really impressed along with your writing skills as neatly as with the layout on your blog. Is that this a paid subject or did you customize it your self? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one these days..