WJZ WEATHER: Heat Advisory In Effect As Temperatures Reach Mid-90's | Severe Thunderstorm Warning Issued Western Maryland | WJZ Radar | Download The WJZ Weather App

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– The wild fight caught on tape. Students and spectators were throwing punches– some were even throwing chairs– at a basketball game between Baltimore’s ConneXions Academy and Cardozo Senior High in Washington D.C.

Mike Hellgren has the players involved speaking about the brawl for the first time.

Some basketball players say police used pepper spray to bring the crowd under control. It is unclear if anyone has been suspended.

The fight started in the stands and quickly moved to the court, interrupting the basketball game between ConneXions Community Leadership Academy in Northwest Baltimore and Cardozo Senior High School from Washington D.C.

“Everybody from the Baltimore stands just ran up, started fighting,”  said Jonathan Bonhomme, a player from Cordozo High.

“Somebody from Baltimore, he ran up punching me right here and my older brother ran over there and that’s when the whole fight just started,”  said William Taylor, another player from Cordozo.

Police tried to stop it, but some players and fans were out of control.

“More than chaos, it was a riot,” said Renne Brown, who lives near ConnecXions Academy.

Brown watched as officers flooded the scene.

“It was a real zoo, I mean, they looked like they were coming from all angles,” she said. “They really did the job.”

Chairs were even thrown as the fighting continued from one side of the court to the other.

In response, a Baltimore City Schools spokeswoman said they “expect spectators and student athletes to exhibit excellent sportsmanship at all times.”

Baltimore City Schools say it is all under investigation right now.

Washington D.C. schools were a bit harsher in their assessment.

“We are disappointed any time our student athletes are not upholding their responsibility as leaders on and off the court,” the statement said.

“You couldn’t tell who were the fighters and who was the grown ups, you really couldn’t tell,” Brown said. “It was just terrible.”

Thousands of people watched the fighting online, many say it stems from a D.C.-Baltimore rivalry. One student says someone in the stands struck a Cardozo coach.

“We don’t send my little brother to school to be in altercations,” said Shellina Taylor, one player’s sister. “They went there, it was a basketball tournament and sometime, somehow, it escalated.”

“I just couldn’t believe it,” Brown said. “I had my mouth open. They cry about sports, and then when they get up there, they don’t know how to act.”

Police had to escort Cardozo players from Northwest Baltimore.

ConneXions is a public charter school serving more than 330 students.

Comments (4)
  1. chetta-ketta says:

    Low life black tras.

  2. W74 says:

    “I just couldn’t believe it,” Brown said. “I had my mouth open….”

    Really? Because I can believe it. We’re all getting there. TNB (typical n_____ behavior) no longer shocks the majority of us anymore.

    We’re not buying into the guilt trip anymore either and sympathy….yeah that’s going out the window too.

    It’s fights like this, gang beat downs, the murders, the stabbings downtown, the crumbling buildings, and all the flash robberies across the country….we’re simply not buying the “it ain’t be our fault” excuse anymore.

    1. Steven Spiegel says:

      You got that right i beat somehow the caucasen will be blamed for this behavior when i didnt see one there. Not all balck people act like savages but i would say a good 85% of them do when provoked . Its a shame that the other 15 % have to be looked at as being the same. If i was a Blackman i would be really upset at my race. I believe we need to take a very good look at how we can curve this behavior . Either that or continue to let them beat the hell out of each other and kill one another .

      1. K. Smith says:

        i will agree that SOME amount of ALL RACES act like savages. This certainly is not a Black or Hispanic only problem. Your numbers are off. Way off. Part of the issue is that only this type of behavior is reported in the media. I work with several black youth who have NEVER been involved with this type of violence. No one reports this kind of thing on the news. it isn’t sensational, so it doesn’t get talked about.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE