BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Baltimore firefighters are releasing their calls from the scene of a burning home, where two women jumped to safety. They also reportedly threw a baby from a second-story window.

Monique Griego has the new information and the latest on the victims’ conditions.

Just after 6 a.m. Monday, a bystander shot a video of flames pouring out of a rowhome in the 300-block of South Fulton Avenue.

Trapped upstairs were a grandmother, her daughter and a baby girl.

“The fire was going out the door, big flames, and I was scared,” said a witness.

As flames grew bigger, firefighters rushed to put it out.

“We got a two-story brick dwelling, not sure if it’s occupied and we got heavy fire on first floor front,” a firefighter said.

Radio transmissions captured the moment firefighters see a woman jump from a second-story window.

“Be advised there are other reports of other people inside the building. One person did jump from second floor,” a firefighter said.

“The grandmother was laying on the ground,” said a witness.

Then, as crews search for more people, a second woman leaps from the burning home.

“Be advised we got a jumper over here, gonna need a medic,” a firefighter said.

The baby, however, was unaccounted for.

“Be advised we’re still looking for a juvenile, supposed to be in a second floor rear room,” said a firefighter.

Witnesses say the mother threw the baby from one of the back second floor windows and then the baby was caught by a bystander.

“The baby wasn’t hurt. Thank God for that. She saved the baby,” said a witness.

Firefighters say both women suffered injuries from the fall and one had second- and third-degree burns.

The baby was also treated for possible smoke inhalation.

“Happy that nobody was hurt because she was really a nice lady,” a neighbor said.

Still, as neighbors look at what’s left of the house and what the fire destroyed, they’re amazed everyone’s alive.

“I’m surprised they all made it out,” a neighbor said.

Neighbors told WJZ both women suffered broken bones from the fall and are still in the hospital. They are expected to be OK. The baby is also said to be in good condition.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE