Jeremy Conn: What If?
Sports Fan Insider
I keep playing the “WHAT IF?” game in my mind. This whole week it has been difficult getting away from questioning what happened in the AFC championship. It makes you question a lot of things when you feel like you outplayed a team and still lost. Here are few things that have been running through my mind…
1. The Ravens had 2 interceptions that were called back due to penalties. One was a defensive holding, the other was due to an offsides call.
2. We can look at Billy Cundiff’s field goal in so many different ways. First off, you have to make a 32 yarder. I don’t care if you’re rushed or not you have to make that. Call a time out! This whole icing the kicker is bologna. More kicks are actually made after the time out is called than missed. Either way it would be pretty interesting to see overtime in that game.
3. What if Lee Evans had not had the ball stripped away from him? If he could have held onto that pass, the Ravens are in the Super Bowl. I don’t blame Evans for a dropped pass. He didn’t drop it, the defender made a great play.
4. Why didn’t Joe Flacco run the ball on the third and one? He could have gotten the first down and called time out by using his feet. Maybe he could have even run out of bounds and picked up the first down. Joe Played his tail off, so I’m not going to question his game all that much.
5. Why didn’t they use their time outs before the half. The Pats were on their own 11 yard line with 52 seconds left and the Ravens had 2 time outs left. You force them to punt there, no matter what. Maybe there is a bad punt, good return, or even a punt block.
6. They needed to get 7 after the Woodhead fumble on the kickoff return instead of settling for a field goal.
7. Many people question the officials in Baltimore in every game. What about the 3rd and 1 play with Pitta being held trying to go back for the ball?
8. What if Boldin picks up the first down and doesn’t fumble the ball forward? Should they have reviewed the spot of where he fumbled?
9. Speaking of reviews… I don’t think it would have been a touchdown, but they should have stopped and looked at the Lee Evans play in the end-zone.
10. Lastly, what if the Ravens hadn’t lost to the Jags, Seahawks, or Titans. They would have been hosting the AFC championship game.
I know some of these are a little far fetched, but they all have been talked about this week on the airways.