O’Malley Talks About Applying Sales Tax To Gas

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—Maryland’s gas prices could soon be going sky high. The governor has recommended applying sales tax to gas, and it could pump up prices more than 20 cents a gallon.

Meghan McCorkell has more on this controversial plan.

On Monday, the governor announced a proposal to apply the state’s 6 percent sales tax to gasoline.

The state already levies a 23.5-cent gas tax, and the sales tax proposal would be on top of that to generate new revenue for transportation infrastructure needs. The O’Malley administration said the proposal would raise the price of gas by about 6 cents a gallon in the first year, 12 cents in the second year and about 18 cents in the third year.

It’s an idea at least one lawmaker calls a nightmare.

Maryland’s gas prices could soon be the fourth highest in the continental United States. Governor Martin O’Malley wants to extend the state’s 6 percent sales tax to gasoline.

In a one-on-one interview with WJZ‘s Vic Carter, O’Malley says he knows this will be a struggle.

“Look, none of this is easy. And I know none of it’s going to be very popular. But there’s certain things that if we don’t do we end up paying in other ways,” O’Malley said.

The governor says the sale tax plan could raise $613 million that’s badly needed for a backlog of transportation projects.

The 6 percent on gas would be phased in over three years.

So for the $3.48 a gallon you pay now, by next year you’ll pay $3.54. That’s up two percent. In 2014, that will be $3.60. With the full 6 percent, it will be $3.66 a gallon by 2015.

The governor’s proposal would include a capping mechanism to limit the tax increase if gas prices spike again.

Political opponents say the governor’s plan hits too close to home.

“People have had enough. Working families are struggling. The governor is making living in Maryland a nightmare,” said Sen. E.J. Pipkin, Republican-District 36.

Drivers we spoke with agree, saying their budgets are already stretched too thin.

“When you add everything up, gas and everything else that has gone up, yeah it’s a contributing factor,” said Lee Madison, of Crofton. “No question.”

“Help us out, the poor guys out here working for a living,” one Maryland resident said.

The governor plans to officially propose the hike sometime after his State of the State Address on Wednesday night.

More from Meghan McCorkell
Comments

1. Wiseguy says:

Stop friggin’ spending!!
    and Stop robbing the transportation fund !!

1. W T says:

1. David says:

*You get who you vote for, I didn’t vote for the Dictator of the Socialist Republic Of Maryland.*

Well in a nut shell it was the Fed/local government unions that voted for him, if DC was in south Virgina we would be a republican state!!

As to the tax of 6cents per gallon he knows that’s a lie as 6cents will be added to the large purchaser of gas then 6cents more to the distributor then 6cents more at the pimp so it will be 18cents the first year and 54cents by the 3rd year, if their is anymore middle men I missed just add 6cents more per each!!

2. Daryl says:

How can we; everything the government does is so important .

1. Daryl says:

SARCASM

3. smokehouse56 says:

But keep voting for these Dems. Stuck on stupid. Yep, go in and pull the Dem lever and elect radicals all over the state. Laughing like hell at the stupid morons from a Republican solid red state. BWHAhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

4. Ellie Lightt says:

the Guv O’Malley didnt consider gas has gone up 87% since OBumbles took office he must think we are all rich DemocRATS

5. freecheese says:

Time for a recall election .

2. tobmore says:

This governor continues to have Maryland tax payers pay for his incompetent administration. As the state audits show, the oppointee’s are robbing the state blind through contracts and procurement that have cost the state millions.

3. MattfromBmore says:

Lets keep making the taxcode even more complicated!!! This way everyone will need to pay a lawyer and accountant!!!

4. Ratz says:

At this rate i will never be able to get a car and pay for everything. I think that we should go back to Horse and buggy and then put the dung in Annapolis, where it belongs.

1. Really?? says:

If everyone went back to horse and buggy than he would tax everyone for cleaning up the dung.

1. Camp says:

And there would be a ‘hay’ tax….and a ‘horse shoe service fee’….and a Veterenary Surchage…

2. lizsalander says:

The dung is already in Annapolis – and in the People’s Republic of Maryland, all the dung belongs to one party.

5. Randy Peel says:

Tax and Spend: That is the motto of any democrat

1. Liberal Soldier says:

Not true.

1. Jim says:

Not true? What is it, like 99.9995% of them then?

2. wildandtired senior says:

The difference between Liberal and Conservative? Liberals “feel” and Conservatives THINK.

3. Ratt says:

Name one Liberal that doesn’t, just one Obabot.

4. krp says:

correction wildandtired, Conservatives think, liberals CAN’T. Liberalism is not classified as a mental disorder for nothing. They don’t have the capability to think.

6. Shannon says:

Welcome to Owemalley Land……….what’s in your wallet!

1. Marie R Sadler says:

There are toll roads in MD, tons of cars pass thru every day. Why isnt the money from that being used to fix the roads (like it was supposed to)?

7. Jim Sterling says:

Well for you the people who keep voting this type of person in office in Maryland it seems you are getting whatt you voted for. Most of the time WJZ dosen’t shine a bad light onthe boy wonder. By the time he is finished anyone with any sense and money will be leaving the first state. Him and the boys in Annapolis never really cut back sort of along the lines of Obama.

1. palainausa says:

Call the moving van. I retired last year, and I’m going to go somewhere more tax friendly. If I could only sell my house…

But, hey, it’s phased in, so I guess it really doesn’t matter, right? You had to see this coming once he got the 9% tax on booze.

1. JLR says:

Too bad the home prices down here are like 4x overpriced. I’d love to buy a home but can’t seem to find the money for a 1000 sf $250,000 home. When I can buy land and a home in PA for under $100,000. I moved here because it’s where I got hired. I wish I could move the F back out.

2. krp says:

Florida and Texas have no state income tax. Same with Tennessee..

New Hampshire has no income tax or sales tax.

There are many places that are more tax friendlly.

3. KN says:

Take a look at Hot Springs, Arkansas

http:/hotsprings.org

8. big tom says:

as it stands the price of gas will $5.00 a gallon, this is O’taxey’s plan to get all into MTA, when this does pass and we all know it will, maryland should have the smoothest roads in the nation, every tax he is proposing is for the transportation fund, but who will be buying the gas? nobody will be able to put the gas in it at this rate.

9. Liberal Soldier says:

O’Malley is going to put a Republican in the governorship next year. Just like Paris Glendenings policies destroyed the Democrats and put Bob Ehrlich in. History about to repeat itself in Maryland again.

1. Jim says:

I doubt it. There are so few of us left in Maryland that do not feed at the government teet. This state is doomed. It’s a pity really.

2. CP says:

You are probably safe, most Republicans, by now, have left the state for Virginia or West Virginia.

1. fatunclesam says:

As soon as I start my new job in DC this summer I’m moving to Virginia.

I can’t take it anymore here in MD, these people are so f’ing brainwashed.

2. baltexpat says:

Left the ex wife and the Socialist Republic of MD in 09….never to return!

3. Happy In VA says:

Yep – I left for VA in 2005, and am loving it. Lower taxes, politicians not snooping in everything we do, a business-friendly Governor!

10. Brooks says:

Anybody can run a government by raising taxes, including a gorilla! This just shows this Governors weakness and inability to manage in tough times. How and why people in this state voted for him is beyond my comprehension. I can only imagine his thought process when he is faced with a challenging decision, “We’ll lets see here, have to make a tough decision about this matter. How can I make this go away? Oh, I know, I’ll make another tax increase on something that is crucial to every citizen in the state so that they can’t avoid paying for it and there too stupid to know how bad I SUCK AT BEING THE CEO OF MARYLAND and I can go and play guitar in my band tonight! Problem solved”……..The people of this state need to wise up and recognize that we can not AFFORD TO HAVE SOMEONE LIKE THIS IN CHARGE. Lets make all of the people who voted for O’Malley to pay for all tax hikes under his administration. Guarantee they will never have him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. jason says:

They already put him in office for a second term after the biggest tax hike in Maryland history. If you dont learn from history it repeats itself. i hope you enjoy shelling out more cash, and trust me he is not even close to being done

2. WereTurtle says:

You can’t run a state for long by raising taxes. The problem is you eventually run out of pockets to pick. They wealthy, the job producers, the upper middle class, the small businesses – eventually they leave. What you are left with is a wagon with everyone sitting in it, and no one to pull.

1. NoVaNick says:

But you forget, the wealthy WANT to pay more taxes, according to Warren Buffet and George Soros…they give the money to the democratic party and those who pay no taxes but use government services vote for them, along with the upper middle class government bureacrats in Montgomery County. The middle class and small business owners are the little people and who cares what they think.

11. chris says:

Dear god please help us when ever i think iv heard it all this jack a$$ opens his mouth agin

1. KottaMan says:

Could not agree more especially the part about thinking we’ve heard everything until the next words he utters. Can’t believe his wife either with her obnoxious remark about members of the General Assembly being ‘cowards.’

12. KottaMan says:

The Guv is mentally ill I am convinced. He has lost all touch with reality. God, I cannot wait to move out of MD as he has ruined it and I am not at all certain his damage can be fixed at this point.

13. Agenda 21 says:

Slaves of Maryland please allow us to help you. You will be required to work harder as we provide you a cleaner greener more prosperus state to reside in. Dont forget to check the air in your tires and turn down that thermostat. Act local think global, believe and repeat after me “Yes we can” Together we can integrate smoothly and nicely into Fema governance area 2. Oops we almost forgot to say “Only one flush a day will keep the sewer police away” Now get back to work…slave.

1. whodat1 says:

Da’ Komerad!!!

14. Really?? says:

I didn’t vote for O’Malley, and it seems like everyone that I’ve talked to did not vote for him. How is he the voice for the people when it’s quite clear that nobody wants higher, tolls and or taxes. Especially he’s the one that bashed Ehlrich for raising tolls slightly. O’Malley Quote “Tolls are taxes”, yet he did not stop the raise in tolls. I think the Maryland people need to get their heads out of their butts and need to get the petition ready to sign and have him impeached.

15. Jim says:

Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware are all licking their chops over this one. Their gas tax revenues will soar as Marylanders run for the border to fill their tanks. While they’re there, they’ll pick up their smokes and booze too. O’Malley, it’s a small state, people aren’t dumb, they’ll avoid this. You’ll most likely bring in less revenue than you are now. I can’t wait to get out of this state.

16. chearts77 says:

Who the heck voted for this guy? I sure didn’t and the more he speaks, the more upset I get at those who voted for him. When is he not talking about raising taxes on something?

1. CP says:

Vote with your feet and leave. It’s a small state, you can get anywhere in it from neighboring states very quickly and easily, if you must. My wallet thanked me once I made the decision to move out of deep blue Maryland.

17. Mr Mcclean says:

I guess he never (O’Malley) wants to be in public office again. I hope his band makes some money.

1. tom moore says:

Yes he can be in office again because the black folks in this state would vote for any fool as long as he/she is a democrat.

18. mofo says:

A sales tax increase from 6% to 7% is a 16% increase so you see OMalley get’s his 15% gas tax increase & as a bonus another 16% on everything else. This is a regressive tax & will hurt the working poor the most as usual. Why doesn’t the government act according to the tax payers wishes when they are there in Annapolis to supposedly serve us. Stop the spending OMalley, start the cutting of fat programs such as welfare, section 8 housing, medicaid.

19. Ronnie Adams says:

This Clown and his Annaplois cronies have raided the transportation fund for years without ever replacing the money back. They then build a multibiliion dollar road the just benifits two counties where the limosuine liberals live. They can’t pay for it so their solution is to raise automobile related taxes, fees and tolls to make the rest of the state pay for it who gain no benifit for it at all. This is runaway governance at its worst and the idiots in Maryland keep voting this clown car full of idiot politicians back into office year after year. Wake up fools these politicians are destrying our state and future by running us into a situation like Greece or Italy or Portugal.

20. Megan says:

O’malley is Obama’s “mini-me”

21. Elvis says:

I remember hearing Democrats talking about raising gas prices to $10 a gallon to force people to ride bikes and buy electric cars . Liberals are demise of the once great country USA.

1. wildandtiredsenior says:

It makes one think about the extrapolation of these financing ‘policies’ of the Dums. Let’s see–we make everyone drive less or drive an electric something-or-other, then there is no revenue from the gas tax. What will they tax next to make up the shortfall??? Air?? No, there will always be another channel of revenue to support their continued spending…and they probably have that on the drawing board already.

22. Chris Abbott says:

Thank you Baltimore, Montgomery and Prince georges counties for electing this a$$hat! He has done everything he can to ruin the Eastern Shore so now I guess he’s after the rest of the state! Hey O’Mally, take your taxes and your tolls and shove them up your a double S HOLE!!!!

23. K. Clark says:

How funny….you people deserve what you get….My wife and I left Md 9 years ago when I could no longer stand being around all the libs in that state! Thank God for great states like Texas! My advice – get out..

24. Gary Allan says:

Good idea, since it won’t affect any liberals right? Oh, even the liberals will be getting hurt by this. Hope and Change.

25. NeverSurrender says:

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes, Taxes, Taxes, Taxes!!!!!! That’s all liberals can ever think of. Tax the rich, Tax the oil companies, Tax fatty foods, Tax sugar, Tax tabacco and now tax tax. Forget about the fact that the government already makes 25% on every gallon of gas, let’s tax it some more. But DO NOT EVER consider reducing handouts to deadbeats!!!!!! You guys in the NE deserve whatever you get after decades of democrat rule!!!

26. NVRAT says:

And another Democrat strikes the heart of the problem…”Raise Taxes”

27. Michael Kirby says:

They have already stole the first gas tax…now they want to rob us again….O’Malley is a tool.

28. Imustbecrazy says:

By raising taxes, I’m sure my bloved Governor feels the same pain as every citizen that he leads in my great state of Maryland. It’s not like Governor O’Malley getting a huge salary, free limo transportation, free housing, and free travel to foreign countries. He’s a Democrat, so I’m sure he pays his fair share.

29. kevin says:

I bet you the politicians will get a raise im sure! Why dont they take a freeze on there raises for the nxt 5 yrs. But nooo they cant afford to do that , but yet the little man is expected to pay for everything!

30. Unbelievable says:

How about they STOP SPENDING!!! I’m so sick of the government just taking more and more away from us! Geez… why don’t we just give the government ALL our money and they can just hand it out to us as they feel fit! It’s almost at that point anyways!

31. vince says:

The reason why transportation projects are back logged is because they have RAIDED the transportation to pay for other spending. Now they want to tax you to replenish the fund. So… rob peter to pay paul, then tax peter after you have robbed him.

Democrats for you!!

32. Bill_a_bob says:

I have a 5 year plan. I’m moving out of the Peoples Republic of Montgomery County to Washington County, MD. There I’ll regroup and find a place to retire other than MD!

1. KottaMan says:

We’ll be in the car right behind you, Bill….

33. Glenn says:

A sales tax on gasoline is highly regressive and will hit low income people hardest — the very people the Democrats profess to work for, the so-called “common man.” Perhaps they need more money to buy more votes from the “common man” in the next election cycle. If Maryland Democrats had the courage of their convictions, they would raise the income tax on the more prosperous. But they don’t because they are cowards.

34. Speedypete says:

I recently drove to Easton from the midwest and was amazed at the number of State Police, Sheriff and local police patrolling the interstates and U.S. 50. It was more police than I saw in the three states previous. The same on the return trip. I was getting passed by everyone because it was intimitating. Do you want to know how to cut the budget?

1. Dave says:

“Speedypete”? Sounds like you like to drive above the limit. Hey that wastes more gas, which means more demand which equals higher prices. Hmm you’re an idiot!

35. Jeff R. says:

More taxes to pay for unionized state jobs. What’s new? These jobs are the reason our taxes are sky high in the first place. Dems paying unions off, taxes go higher.

36. Tim Holmes says:

What a fool. The add taxes won’t come near to raising the projected revenue. People who can will buy their gas in neighboring states which will harm the gas stations near those states. The idiot running this state refuse to learn – remember what happened when they raise taxes on millionaires?

37. Tony says:

You conservatives should all move to FLA, no state income taxes, and leave that cesspool of a state to the loons. And remember we are a Right to Work state, so no forced union thug dues automatically taken from your pay check, and today in Jacksonville the temp is going to tickle 75!

1. krp says:

Be careful, that they don’t do like the Californians did to Colorado, and brought liberalism with them.

38. Norm says:

So, if I understand properly, gullible Maryland residents and tourists will pay sales tax on their fuel PLUS federal and local gas tax too? Taxing a tax? Who elected this creep? And why are there so many stupid voters electing Dumbocrat twerps like O’Malley and O’Dumbo in Maryland?

Mental illness must be rampant in your state!

1. American_League says:

It is!

39. Jake says:

CBS –
    why is it that you do not mention the fact that Mr. O’Malley is a Democrat? You have no qualms about pointing out that Mr. Pipkin is a Republican from the 36th District… Sloppy “journalism” at best…

1. Norm says:

Amen!

Anyone who thinks CBS is an impartial party when reporting news is ignorant, and likely a Dumbocrat! It isn’t sloppiness, it’s dishonesty!

2. krp says:

Sorry, but they are talking about Maryland. Would there be any question?

40. Ellie Lightt says:

Typical Liberal DemocRAT — get his incompetent ASH out of office –typical OBama/Pelosi/Reid supporter scre@ing the little guy — whats next a Obama poll worker at the pumps with a credit card reader for a donation???

41. Ellie Lightt says:

O’Malley didnt consider gas has gone up 87% since OBumbles took office

42. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

LOL! Kiss all the businesses on I-95 goodbye, O’Marxy

43. John says:

And in other news, Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley declared that the retirement age for state corrections officers would be lowered from 50 to 48 and that an additional layer of gold plating will be applied to state union employee pensions.

1. Jean Deux says:

democrats have to serve their constituents! they only way dems can give raises and benefits to their union benefactors is to constantly raise taxes and fees

44. Ookin Panub says:

I will never understand how anyone could vote for this Obozo-loving bandit.

45. no1Uknow says:

Oh yeah, baby! You gotta love that Democrat “boy prince” Governor. You get what you vote for MD., enjoy!

46. Superpower says:

Make no mistake, Martin O’Malley the former Mayor of Baltimore City who oversaw the bankruptcy of the Baltimore City School District during his watch is a true Statist looking to take from you what others demand.

47. Charlie Fobbs says:

Hey, most of the price of gasoline is federal taxes, state taxes already!! That is why the price is so high right now. It is not the middle east, it is washington dc and its syncopathic followers.

48. Diego Roswell says:

Wow, what a shock. Democrats raising taxes. Who would have thought. And this helps who? Solves what? Nothing. Tax and spend democrats believe that all money, earned or printed is theirs. You are privileged to “be able to” keep any of your money. If democrats had their way, they would take all of it. They take it to buy votes. That is what democrats do.

49. American_League says:

Gov. Martin O’Malley and liberal minded Marylanders – Another “catastrophic blend…from the shallow end of the gene pool.”

50. Sam E Moore Jr says:

There are several ways’s to die . One is of Natural Causes , Accidents and Drugs .
    There is now One We have known about for many years that has gotten even far more Fatal ,
    Effective and highly Efficient .

We have learned in the last 3 years ,
    Vote for any Socialist , Liberal ,Progressive and be “”Taxed To Death ” !
    Now purposed by Obama and the far left in Congress (Death Tax ) to take all your earthy possessions
    Even though you paid taxes for them until your death . In Obama words ISN’T that Fair and Common sense mined ?
    Hell No it isn’t .
    Interesting the far left Governor is raising taxes in Md. While the Conservative Governor in Va is lowering taxes .
    Making Va only 6.9 % unemployed . MD ? Through the Roof .
    The Reason ? VA is a right to work State while Md is totally controlled by the Labor Unions .

51. displacdMD says:

What has not ben mentioned is that the money will go to rebuild roads an bridges. These are all union jobs and will not help the private sector at all. I moved away 40 years ago..I love going back to visit, but I could not live there

52. agatematt says:

The fly in the buttermilk with the governor’s thinking on adding the state’s sales tax on top of the already existing taxes on every gallon of gasoline is that it seems to be computed on the assumption that the price of gasoline is going to remain at — or very near — its present cost. What happens if in 2013 gas is $4.50 per gallon or $5.50 or more? If O’Malley gets his way in Maryland the horseless carriage will soon be a thing of the past only to be replaced once more by the horse and carriage.

1. DeepWheat says:

FWIW, agatematt, of all the commenters so far, you came the closest to hitting the UN-Constitutional nail on the head… Lots of Good Thoughts here, *especially* the regressive “working poor hit hardest” and the “small state, people will buy their gas/booze & cigs across the border, thus killing MD biz *AND* tax-revenues”…

The problem with those arguments is that (obviously) the D’s & RINO’s in charge aren’t concerned or moved in the slightest by those points.

Wa-a-ay back in ’71 or ’72, CA (of all places) tried to do this exact thing, slapping their 6% sales tax on TOP of the pump price for car-crazy Californios. The State Legislature passed the law, the Gov signed it, and it was *briefly* in effect statewide, until a lawsuit was filed in State Court pointing out the obvious error: since both the US & CA gov’ts already had per-gallon gasoline “road-use” taxes rolled into the pump price, the sales tax imposed at the end amounted to a 6% tax *ON* the taxes already being paid in the per-gallon pump price…

Taxes *ON* taxes were one of the very things for which we revolted against King George, and they have been specifically prohibited ever since. CA Legislators were forced to capitulate, rescind the new tax law, and IIRC, even send rebate checks to motorists as well, all in a matter of weeks after the damned tax was instituted.

That was 40 years ago (*sigh*… where *does* the time go?), but if CA can stop such a thing, surely to heaven the Good People of MD (however many are left…) can use the precedent set *there* to prevent this thing from ever being hatched, hmm?

“Cogito, ergo TEA Party!” ~ DeepWheat

1. krp says:

Here’s a question. If you give tips based on a percentage of the check, do you base it on the pre-tax total or the on a percentage of the total with the sales tax added?

53. Mike says:

Living here in California, that sounds like something our Governor would propose, to which most people would respond “who cares, that’s what you get for living in California. That’s what you get for electing a tax-and-spend liberal”.
    So, I suppose I would say to Maryland; that’s what you get for electing a tax-and-spend liberal governor. Enjoy.

54. BlownfuelCoupe says:

I know, Let’s propose a Tax Penalty for Lawmakers who Fiscally Mis-Manage everything.

55. Jean Deux says:

this is SOP for democrats, they have to constantly raise taxes and fees, (or invent new taxes and fees) and cut services in order to give raises to union employees and to fund their luxury retirement pensions. Unions fund democrats so they can get fat contracts and benefits, and democrats fund unions with your tax dollars so they can get elected/reelected. it’s the biggest money laundering scheme in history

56. Mr McClean says:

O’Malley must never want to be in office ever again. All he has don is raise fees and taxes, the same thing. Raising fuel cost increases the cost of everything whish is shipped, which is everything. He (O’Malley) is going to make it so people will not be able to afford to drive to work, he already made the tolls more expensive. Maybe his administration needs to curb their spending and create a fair tax system which is progressive based on every $10k of earned income per person or couple.

57. LOU says:

Elections have consequences!!

NOW YOU WILL ALL PAY AT THE PUMP….FOOLS!!!!

58. Jon M. says:

This story leaves my head spinning. I’ve been trained to recognize CBS as a leader of liberal, lamestream media bias, yet this article doesn’t paint a rosy picture of liberal governor O’Malley. I have to assume it’s a conservative imposter, posing as governor O’Malley, trying to make liberals look bad. Either that, or CBS isn’t liberally biased. Huh. I’ll have to listen to more talk radio to see if I should suddenly trust the lamestream media.

1. krp says:

This is the local CBS affiliate in Baltimore, not CBS News

59. Jean Deux says:

while most of us will retire with a meager social security check THAT WE FUNDED WITH OUR OWN MONEY, govt/public employees are going to retire with fat luxury pensions and benefits, THAT YOU ALSO FUNDED WITH YOUR TAX DOLLARS!!!! this is why your taxes have to be raised, this is why cities ans states are going bankrupt. a good example is liberal, democratic san francisco, 31% of their total labor costs goes to fund the pensions of city employees. the SF police chief recently retired with a $260,000 year pension, and the city manager of berkeley ca recently retired with a $249,000/yr lifetime pension, more than their actual salary!. unions fund democrats, and democrats fund unions with your tax dollars.

60. Jon M. says:

On a serious note, our family relocated to MD courtesy of the BRAC, and our taxes are still MUCH lower in MD than they were in NJ. I don’t want to pay any more in taxes than anybody else does, but another 18 cents a gallon isn’t going to break my bank if it improves local traffic.

One more thing: with thousands of families moving here from NJ, can we PLEASE get some new eating establishments in the Aberdeen area? I have money to spend and I’m tired of Panera and Applebees. And a coffee place near APG? Hello? Does no one want to make money? There’s nowhere to grab a cup of coffee on Route 40 near either entrance of APG.

1. meeee says:

It won’t fix traffic…It wil go to paying the higher ups to get a measly road fixed… 24 man hours = 1 hr pay for the exec. Plus all the good mom and pop shops are going out of business due to higer property taxes and over stringent zoning laws

2. Katnip says:

This tax is not going to improve local traffic. The people who design the roads are not very smart. If you ever drive the Rt. 1 Bypass (Bel Air Bypass), some idiot said, oh, I think I will make it go from two lanes down to one lane, then make it two lanes again just to go back down to one lane again. Oh, then it becomes two lanes yet again until the right lane must exit. Um, that is so stupid and say so every day. Oh, and welcome to Maryland!

61. Rich says:

Typical Democrat thinking, what about the gas stations near the state borders? This will put them out of business and people out of work. This state is so small many people will cross the border to fill up. Sales will be way down, therefore the revenue from the tax will be no where near what is anticipated.

Keep electing these fools and this is what you get. Democrats never think things through.

1. William says:

A similar situation exists in Alabama. Some counties there are still “dry” meaning no alcohol can be sold there. Who opposes the ban the most? Stores across the county line in “wet” counties that sell alcohol. If the dry county went wet, they’d lose a lot of business. So, people want booze they cross county lines. The same happens with cigarettes on a state level and it will happen with gas.

62. Codfish says:

O’Malley also wanta to eliminate the mortgage interest deduction as well as the real estate property tax deduction.
    He wants to increase the state sales tax from 6% to 7% and raise the flush tax from $2.50/month to $5/month.
    No wonder so many residents are moving to Florida.

63. moreco2 says:

We could be totally energy independent! Leave it to a Demoncrat to stick it to the working poor and middle class. Oh wait…there aren’t any in Maryland, just a bunch of filthy rich New England liberals. Go for it! Their liberal fantasies make everyone all over the US to have to pay through the nose for energy. Now it’s their turn.

64. CoolR says:

What’s the State Consitution say about recalling a governor? We need a recall movement NOW!!!

65. Robert Long says:

This is all because the money he wasted building that ICC. 2.5 billion plus wasted! And now the trans fund is broke and he is making us pay for his mistake as always. Thats ok because its going to back fire in his face. With the bigger price on gas people will just use less gas and they will end up with the same amount of money. Why dont he just pass a law that lets him come into peoples homes and take anything he wants? And he has his choice of killing the people in the house or beating them to an inch of there life. I mean really come on. Just hold us up with a gun that way we can at least feel the way it really is. Getting held up at the pump!. We need to recall him and recall him now!. I am sick and tired of him and we need to act now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. R. L. Hails Sr. P. E. says:

My guess: The expensive tolls from the new ICC are indicating that it is an epic disaster, the Gov. has the early numbers;. There is no traffic. It is the most expensive interstate, by far, than any other road. it consumes the entire state transportation budget for a generation, and relies on tolls. People who tried it are stopping their use.

There are two problems:
      There was zero cost discipline when it was managed, and
      The road user fees, collected for two generations, were spend on things other than roads. The state roads are turning to gravel.

These problems started when O’Malley wore diapers. We are stuck with him, the badly managed ICC, and are broke.

66. Rip VanBullwinkle says:

Avg. state tax per gallon 48%
    Fed. tax per gallon 16%

oil company profit per gallon 8%

Who are the looters?

67. stacie says:

and how many 1%ers have already been driven out of this state… all ur gonna have left are loser ACORN Democrats w/ their hand out.

68. whatnow says:

So we will be paying a sales tax on a special tax. Didn’t I learn something in school about double taxation being illegal. They already do it on cigs and no one complained so now they are going after gas.

1. chearts77 says:

Yes, this is the comment I was looking for. It sounds like double taxation to me as well.

69. Gibbs Bentley says:

“The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury.” ~ George Washington

———————————- http://911essentials.com

70. BobInThe2nd says:

In Connecticut it is applied as a “Gross Petro Receipts Tax”, prior to the pump and heat oil tanks.

It’s a precent to the state’s take goes up with the price of oil/gas.

71. Sheryl Lea Mason Turgeon says:

ll me why people in MO are paying $3.16 a gallon would it not cost more to get gas to the middle of the country than to a state such as MD with a huge port? I just don’t get it…. and now rais the tax even more what gives. Maybe the governmentbig wigs could take a wage reduction? Us tax payers could sure use a break. You say it will create more jobs but I this k people will loose their jobs because they will not be able to afford to get to work.

72. Joe Loiacono says:

CBS Baltimore, Baltimore Sun,

How about doing some investigative journalism. Go find out how much transportation money is being used for other social spending.

1. whatnow says:

There are no real journalists anymore. Just shills for the politicians.

73. Richard Koch says:

LOL What a joke. Thank god I live in Texas.

74. Big Dog says:

OweMalley is a first class moron who only knows tax and spend. The politicians raided the Transportation Fund to balance the budget because they don’t know how to cut spending. Now they want us to pay into it again for the same things we paid for the first time.

He wanted the 15 cent a gallon increase. This might be a ploy so we will get up in arms and then when they pass the 15 cent increase he wanted we will all give a colective sigh of relief. In the end, he will get what he wants.

He claims to be for the middle class but who will this hurt the most?

I cannot stand this man. He is an idiot and needs to be put out to pasture.

75. Bill Smith says:

The funny thing is the people will continue to vote democratic and vote for Obama while they run the state into the ground. Move to Florida!

1. Jlin says:

That’s the problem. All the Liberal retirees on the public dime ARE moving to Florida and voting D down there.

76. Miles Hession says:

77. drphil69 says:

I am SO glad I moved out of MD! Taxes, fees, regulations are out of control. Now if we can keep the libs from moving out and ruining other states!

1. JLin says:

No such luck. As I said, they are wrecking Florida as we speak. The only hope is that their pension plans fold and they are forced back home.

78. Greg says:

Md Government spending has doubled since 2000 and they want to tax us more!?

And you just have to laugh or cry at the claim that more money from hard working people and job-creating businesses will create jobs. Maybe in neighboring states where MD businesses flee. You think the government will spend our money more efficiently than individuals or businesses do? Their only incentive is spend OUR money to get themselves re-elected. We actually appreciate that money because we earned it and we spend it in the most efficient possible way on things that we choose to buy as free American citizens!

79. fantasin says:

I’ll be buying a gas station on the other side of the Maryland border, so as to sell that which OMalley is over taxing. Marylanders will come here and save plenty of money on their gas and cigarettes, whist the tax coffers in Pennsylvania rise, they will decline in Maryland. I feel bad for the residents that live in the middle of that State. Most will lose by higher Maryland taxes, especially retailers, but some of us will profit.

80. Dervrak says:

That’s Ok. I’ve been crossing the border to fill up in Virginia since the last increase. This is just more incentive to keep doing it.

1. Trevor says:

Omalley wants to go bankrupt to get bailed out probably!

81. John C says:

Insufficient tax revenues is not the problem, overspending is. Increased tax revenues from increased taxes are always end up being used to fund more spending, not to reduce the debt.

82. OklahomaBound says:

And that increased tax wouldn’t just be felt at the pump, it ends up being a tax increase on everything else as all goods eventually move on the back of a truck from a business that will then pass that extra cost onto the consumer. Liberalism is a disease.

83. MarkJ says:

Hey, look at the bright side: gas will be so expensive that DC bureaucrats who live in MD won’t be able to afford to drive to work! What’s not to like?

1. Katnip says:

They will just give themselves a raise.

84. Geoff Caldwell says:

To cry or not to cry……………..

85. Joe says:

Maryland the new California?!!!!

86. Reality says:

Kill it,before it multiplies!

87. greg says:

$ 3.48 @ 6% sales tax is $3.69. NOT $3.66 are they lowballing us. IDIOTS.

1. Katnip says:

yes, they went by 6 cents, not 6%. Plus, it’s not like the price of gas itself is not going to go up. So it is much more than what this article is saying. Like we are not paying too much as it is…

88. Big Dog says:

Martin O’Moron will not stop until he taxes the air we breathe. Wait, he is working on some cap and trade, green energy, BS to do just that. The real tragedy is that so many in Maryland will continue to vote for this kind of POS politician.

89. JLin says:

Did we not already have one revolution because of this kind of incompetent autocratic nonsense? All politicians really need to pass a basic test on history and economics before they are allowed to run for elected office. “Stuck on stupid” seems to apply here.

90. kekm says:

Stop talking about it and do it lololol

91. t-bone says:

Since 1966, Americans have watched our major cities turn into crime infested, anti-2nd amendment war zones. Yet, dyed-in-the-wool democrats continued to vote for this national disgrace AND just because their parents were liberal democrats (a family tradition). Every election cycle since then, it’s the same old thing – democrat politicians feeding their beast to the point now that the beast is unstoppable and continues to grow. There’s no sense in my saying “when will they ever learn”(?), because it’s far too late to reverse course. The socialist beast is now over 50% in Maryland, along with many other northeastern states that are just waiting for their impending economic and cultural deaths. And like socialism, the rest of the country will go down under the same script. And as I write this, there’s more than likely another murder, gang shooting or high classed felony against innocent victims occuring in Baltimore and yet the local politicians want more of your money so that they can continue to promote and support this insane-immoral and disgusting habitat.

92. Steve says:

Hmmmmm. Liberal Soldier. That’s almost an Oximoron. When I was in the military, almost everybody I knew was not a liberal. The few (very few) that I did know, weren’t worth talking to and/or shouldn’t have been in the military in the first place.

1. Liberal Soldier says:

I have to fill up like everyone else and I don’t like this sales tax anymore than the next person. I spent 24 years active duty and there were plenty of liberal and conservative members. Most of the guys I knew had views on just about everything and few were totally conservative or liberal. This is not about what “gang” you follow blindly or in “lockstep” with. It is about looking at your situation and making adult choices. Don’t look for me to call you names or attack you. I don’t roll like that.

93. JKJKJKH;KH says:

WJZ DIDN’T EVEN PUBLISH MY REAL COMMENTS AND THEY WERE NOT VULGAR. WHERE CAN A PERSON GO TO EXPRESS HIS/HER OPINION.
    NOT HERE

1. Bernard Mc Kernan says:

You can go to HELL, that’s were all your real friends & listeners are.

94. NoVaNick says:

Martin O’Malley governed a state:
    E I E I O
    And oh its people he loved to tax
    E I E I O
    with a tax tax here and a tax tax there
    Here a tax there a tax, everywhere a tax tax

1. Katnip says:

OMG too funny! Sad but true.

95. Bluec says:

“The governor says this plan could put more people back to work on transportation projects across the state.”

Bahahahaha.This clown actually played the shovel ready card. Not even the divider in chief is going to that Fantasy Island anymore.

1. Bluec says:

News flash governor nickle and dimes. Even if a single job was created it would be used as payback to your union pals and the average Joe wouldn’t see squat but higher gas prices and more traffic congestion due to your union worker pals milking the job. Thanks but no thanks.

96. Donna Andrade Martin says:

No NO No more sale tax

97. Bluec says:

Watch next they’ll claim they have to lay off cops and fire fighters.

1. nicole says:

They already have a hiring freeze and no overtime…

98. mofo says:

Md is run by democrats, the coons are democrsts so in reality, the city of Balto, PG.& liberal Montg. co are running the state into the ground driven by the porch monkeys.

99. gnubi says:

Please, please don’t let Jerry Brown see this……

100. Jesse Hoover says:

Yes Governor it is totally irresponsible if we do nothing. Just like you have done nothing to let Congress know that the changes in commodity futures trading (mainly oil, gas, electricity) that were made are so obviously suppressing the economy. Is this part of the grand political plan? Continue allowing the Big Banks to speculate and rape the economy then slam us with more taxes just to eliminate the the middle class? Is this part of the plan to create more people reliable on the government for help so you can also control the people that elected you? If you want a gas tax increase then ask Pat McDonough about the speculation and do something about that first. The true price for a gallon of gas is around TWO DOLLARS! Someone wake the $%^&*( up.

1. Jesse Hoover says:

Of course you will do nothing about the speculation though. You wouldn’t want to alienate the Big Banks from donating into your campaign fund after you appoint yourself Senator. None of our politicians seem to have the integrity to do what is right!!! What is being allowed is truly criminal.

101. Katnip says:

Why is everyone so brainwashed to think it has to be either Democrat or Repulican? What about independents who aren’t politicians already in someone else’s pocket? We need a complete overhaul of the whole government – from those who govern the states to the thieves in D.C. Didn’t we beat the British just because they wanted to tax tea? Oh, that’s right – that’s the basis of the tea party then they supported Palin and failed. Looks like I have it a little easier – I live by the MD/PA line so if this gas tax goes through, on days I need gas I will just come home the PA way. If that doesn’t work, maybe I’ll figure out I’ll make more money being unemployed and not commuting to work. Afterall, 2 & 3 percent annual pay increases are not nearly enough to continue to make ends meet working in an expensive state like Maryland.

1. Katnip says:

Raising the sales tax from 5% to 6%, Cigarette Tax, Alcohol Tax, Bottle Tax, Raise the price of Tolls, now proposed gas tax, proposed tax on smokeless tobacco, proposed internet tax for buying online without a physical store in Maryland, I’m probably forgetting one or two…

102. nicole says:

I would love to know WHO voted for O’Malley because every board I am on, there is not one person that supports him or his administration???

103. N says:

Both parties are idiots are far as I’m concerned. People like to complain about O’ Malley and Obama, yet turn around and vote for Mitt Romney – the most liberal guy of the bunch!

Unbelievable. No wonder this country is going to hell.