Police Discover Fire At Senior Center In College Park
COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Two Prince George’s County police officers are credited with discovering a fire at a seven-story assisted living facility for senior citizens in College Park where an alarm system failed to sound.
Fire department spokesman Mark Brady says the officers were patrolling nearby Saturday when they saw smoke coming from the 6th floor of the apartment building. The officers notified their dispatcher and went inside to alert residents.
The officers forced their way into the apartment where a fire was sending smoke into the hallways. No one was inside.
Residents were told to shelter in place while the fire was extinguished. No injuries were reported.
Authorities say the fire appears to have started accidentally, possibly caused by an unattended candle. Fire inspectors are trying to determine why no alarm sounded.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)