Mysterious Illness Kills 3 Family Members, Sickens Fourth

CALVERT COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — There’s a medical mystery in Calvert County. A respiratory illness killed almost an entire family.

Jessica Kartalija has the latest on the investigation.

Three family members are dead and another is still fighting for her life. Now investigators believe it could be a bizarre strain of the flu.

Calvert County’s hazmat team — on full respirators — entered their home looking for samples of a microbe deadly enough to kill three of four family members.

“We got a large family and everybody is concerned about what’s going on,” said a neighbor.

Ruth Blake, 81, died March 1. Her 58-year-old son and 51-year-old daughter died Tuesday.

The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has confirmed two family members died of complications of influenza H3  circulating this season, combined with a bacterial infection.

“I’m just concerned. It’s a really big loss to the family,” said a neighbor.

Maryland Medical Examiner David Fowler says at least one of the bodies was brought to Baltimore City for an autopsy. Blake’s other daughter is being treated at a Washington-area hospital. The three siblings were caring for Blake when she contracted a pneumonia-like illness.

“I think that this is highly unusual and that’s why this is newsworthy but as far as we can tell at this moment, this has been confined to these four individuals and this has been confined to this family group,” Fowler said.

Health officials have contacted members of Blake’s extended family.

“I don’t know a lot. I’m just trying to find out so I can take precautions for my family,” a neighbor said.

School officials in Calvert County are notifying parents to watch for signs of illness.

“It’s upsetting to think that there’s something out there and we don’t know what it’s all about,” a neighbor said.

Health officials also urge anyone who believes they may have contracted the flu to wash their hands often and keep sick children at home.

More from Jessica Kartalija
Comments

1. Terry says:

I wonder if they were given Cipro, Levaquin or another Fluroquinolone and had a ADR from it ? If one family member is allergic to it the other family members could be allergic to it.. The medicine can be worse then the illness…

1. Beth says:

Here is a link in the Washington Post, to a 5th person in the same family with symptoms taken to the hospital.

VERY SCARY!!

2. CLS88 says:

Perhaps.

However I will GUARANTEE the family was below 40 ng/ml, 25 OH, collectively.

That is, the circulating level of vitamin D in their blood.

Vitamin D is protective against Type A influenza infections, whether doctors will admit it, or not.

Some doctors already know this.

1. Guest says:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I had the flu twice this year (see below). Two years ago my doctor told me the only thing wrong with me is my vitamin D level was on the low side of normal. I’ve been taking extra vitamin D ever since. No flu shot, no antibiotics, no low vitamin D, just the flu that knocked me off my feet for 4 days. The good news is I lost all those extra pounds I put on over the holidays!

2. Terry says:

I am wondering if this famiy was prescribed Fluroquinolones and had a ADR to them. Genetic plays a roll in these FQ’s.

1. Randy says:

Staph. Aureus likes salt. Common and can be carried on the skin. Most likely transmitted through nasal passages to complicate the Type A H3 respiratory symptoms in this tragic case.

1. Randy says:

aureus (species=no cap.) woops

3. Rex Dart Eskimo Spy says:

atleast they died doing what they love.

1. DPO says:

‘doing what the love’ they were taking care of their ill mother

4. Mobmember42 says:

“Flu season goes through May. If you haven’t gotten a flu shot yet, health officials are urging you to get one.”

Ummm so the current flu vaccine covers H3? Not.

5. Mitzi says:

I do not think this is the only family with this flu. Here in the Houston area individuals have come down with the flu and developed pneumonia which required other family members to wear masks. Apparently this strain of flu was not in the flu shot. Several others I know also came down with the flu requiring them to have to take an antibiotic. Most of them said they had no fever or only a slight fever, yet they were very sick. Required longer than usual to recover. These individuals varied in age from mid-20’s to 70’s.

1. Gordo says:

I caught a flu three weeks ago that sounds a lot like this. I am 41, and in good shape, running, weight lifting.

I have been vaccinated for everything up to and including Anthrax.

Started with a tired feeling on a Sunday that then developed into chills. But, no big deal, I though, I’ll go to bed early, get extra rest and do only desk work from the home office on Monday.

Little did I know. I haven’t been so sick since childhood.

Fever hit 102 the first night. Tried to work, telecommute, on Monday….barely made it ’til noon. Crashed with fever 103.5.

Next day fever hit 104. The next it was 105. Next 106. Finally the fever broke. I hadn’t left the bed since the lame attempt at work on Monday. I was lucky. I had great care the whole time. My wife is a doctor.

She came down sick on the second day. She too is vaccinated against all of creation.

After the fever, I thought I’d bounce back. I went to the doctor, after the fever broke on Thursday. While I felt terrible, I was convinced I was on the mend. Had a little cough, though.

By Sunday, I was bed-ridden again. Cough was worse. But worse than the cough was the feeling of strangling.

Back to the doctor. After some X-rays…

Pneumonia.

If it did this to me, someone healthy, who exercises, extremely well vaccinated…

What would it have done to someone less healthy, not in good shape?

I am now a believer. This flu can kill.

1. Terry says:

Gordo , I am sorry you are sick Most doctors are not aware of the 5 year dealyed reaction to Cipro. Bayer did not count on this Cipro is linked to Gulf War illness I am a victim of Cipro.. If you are on Facebook type in the search box Cipro or Levaquin, Then click Fluroquinolone toxcity My e-mail is Tonggie9@gmail.com I have been very ill since 2009 after taking Cipro This drug is very dangerous. The PDF file is 60 pages long. I recommend you read There is a doctor in Baltimore who know how to deal with it. You can contact me on the site 24/7 Hope you get better

2. Terry says:

Gordo You could be having delayed reactions to Cipro Bayer did not count on side effects showing up 5 yrs later Please read PDF file on CIpro Tonggie9@gmail.com

3. Eye see you says:

The problem is all the vaccines!! Google search Bill Gates vaccine… They are killing people through vaccines!! Starting with new borns~ Wake up & start loking into this… No secret what they are doing

4. Terry says:

Thank you I agree BILL GATES and Population control. I bet his family did not get a flu shot. Maybe his mother did Bill Gates has Aspbergers Syndrome.. Big Pharm is crippling our country.

5. CLS88 says:

What is your circulating (blood) level of activated vitamin D (25 OH)?

Your wife, a doctor, will understand this.

For the record I will bet you are below 40 ng/ml, 25 OH.

In fact I am certain you are below 40 ng/ml, 25 OH.

No way you exhibit flu symptoms if you are above 40 ng/ml, 25 OH.

Vitamin D, no vitamin at all, but the human body’s most potent steroid hormone by a factor of billions, is protective against Type A influenza infection/symptoms.

As far as colds and flu are concerned, I don’t know ANYONE who contracts these, not even once, after maintaining healthy levels of vitamin D.

Not even one, ever. I am citing a group of 11 people who in 5 years haven’t been infected once.

Not ever.

The mainstream may ignore the research, or the practical applications, but that won’t alter the facts.

Vitamin D is free, essentially. Consider the impact on the drug makers and their products if almost no one caught the flu because of thE protective effect of vitamin D?

Protection against colds and flu are the least of vitamin D’s innate health effects.

For those who doubt its efficacy, Google ” vitamin D hepatitis C and SVR ” .

Your wife will know what that means too.

The drug companies are horrified.

Please, go look it up?

You will literally fall out of your chair when you see the links to chronic early onset disease and vitamin D insufficiency/deficiency.

How could we have missed it?

The answer; complex chemistry and EGO!

2. Marge says:

I am from Houston, got the flu shot and got the flu a few weeks ago. Most of my office got it too. It was really bad but not much fever.

6. Jasonn says:

That’s really strange. Any family members happen to work up at Fort Dix?

7. SickUp&Fed says:

I am fighting a similar flu bug that started with chills and fever and added a raspy, ticklish, cough that has gotten worse and worse. Fatique and 5 days of fever up and down, no energy and constant cough. Really tough to kick this one. I may have pneumonia but haven’t been to the doctor yet.

1. Terry says:

If you go to the dr’s Please do not take Fluroquinolones They are Cipro Levaquin Avelox and Tequin They are now in Generic Not sure of generic names These antibiotics were designed for Anthrax and very serious life threatening infections The dr’s have been brain washed by Big Pharm to use these drugs.They all cost over $100.00 for 7 pills They are much better antibiotics without the side effect. The quinolones break through the brain barrier and attack the central nervous system THEY ARE ALL IN A BLACK BOX WARNING ! Most doctors do not undestand the different families of these antibiotics. Please speak to the pharamcy and make sure it is not a quinolone. Go to facebook search box and type in Levaquin meet thousands who’s live have been destroyed from Fluroquinolones I am a victim of BIG PHARM lies and profit.

8. Guest says:

We have had the flu twice this year. My kids missed school for the first time in a couple of years. Very High fevers (My teenage son had almost 106 degrees and never had a fever anywhere close to that in the past). Never ending cough. I was knocked off my feet for 4 days, and felt like I was dying. Still coughing, but okay now. I was thinking this flu had to be killing weaker people.

9. DrKildare says:

Sounds like the creepin crud!

10. Emery says:

A lot of hyperventilating without any real facts. Did they secure the bodies, the building, the neighbor or anyone who had contact with this killer virus? Has anybody been quarantined? Apparently not from reading the article. Did they have flu shots? The article recommends you go get one. Flu shots are very dangerous and unhealthy. It seems this article seeks to create a hysteria when there are little facts to back it up or the advice to go get a flu shot.

1. Marlinda says:

It just tells us what happened.

11. Btruth says:

Let me guess, they all got the “soft kill” vaccination earlier. It is a well known FACT that vaccinations are from EUGENICS & aid in DEPOPULATION. It is JUNK SCIENCE, supported by BIG PHARMA.
    The “Spanish flu” was a DIRECT result of “their” new found love for the SOFT KILL/VACCINATION.

1. Patrick Thomas says:

Millions were in germ war tests – Much of Britain was exposed to bacteria sprayed in secret trials (MAINSTREAM NEWS STORY)

(Excerpt): The Ministry of Defence turned large parts of the country into a giant laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public.

A government report just released provides for the first time a comprehensive official history of Britain’s biological weapons trials between 1940 and 1979.

Many of these tests involved releasing potentially dangerous chemicals and micro-organisms over vast swaths of the population without the public being told.

While details of some secret trials have emerged in recent years, the 60-page report reveals new information about more than 100 covert experiments.

The report reveals that military personnel were briefed to tell any ‘inquisitive inquirer’ the trials were part of research projects into weather and air pollution.

2. Terry says:

Hi Btruth Come join our grou against Fluroquionoles Big Pharm is killing us with Cipr Levaqui Avelox and Tequin There are more. These drugs have delayed side effects up to 5 yrs I am a victim. In Facebook search box type in Levaquin Come meet us our lives have been destroyed ay a antibiotic !

12. jswag says:

foil hats for sale, get you foil hats here.

1. sdaf says:

good one, i needed the laugh after reading the comments from all the conspiracy nutjobs on here.

2. 12wlw12 says:

jswag… don’t laugh! Apperantly you are unaware that America has a law allowing the government to do the same as Britain. Don’t believe me??…research it for yourself.

3. sheeple wake up already says:

So a guy gives you links and proof and you laugh about tin foil hats….wow. Some serious cognitive dissonance going on in you.

4. sheeple wake up already says:

And while you’re showing your ignorance maybe you could look up plum island and ask yourself why was West Nile spread from NY supposedly and Lime disease originated in that area too. And why are govts busy experimenting with Bird Flu and all it’s strains yet warning us every year about bird flu outbreaks while insisting we take vaccines?

1. Anon says:

Lyme? As in Borrelia, which we’ve found in human remains over five thousand years old?
        Does Plum Island have a time travel machine too, then?

2. Anon says:

Lyme, which we’ve found in human remains over five thousand years old?

Does Plum Island have a time travel machine too, then?

13. Rick O'Shea says:

Seems kinda weird to me. Something else is happening here. Flu shots, I don’t get flu shots and haen’t had the flu for at least 35 years. Maybe I’ll get it tomorrow and die but I think not.

14. jimbob_databender says:

probably something the government has been working on !!!!!

15. hillbillymama says:

Wait a minute…when I was in Florida, end of January or beginning of February, there was a family that had this happen to them. A lady and her adult daughter both were found dead….no foul play, flu-like symptoms preceded. They were just starting to investigate it…sounded like the same kind of thing

16. Mqrk says:

My dad is in the hospital in Kansas right now with these very symptoms. He was sick for about a week before being admitted. He’s been diagnosed with a bacterial infection that developed into pneumonia. He’s getting better…but it’s taking a while.

17. hismom says:

My 46 yr. old son got a flu shot and was told that if exposed to the flu within 48 hrs. it could be bad. It was. He got deathly ill and it went into pneumonia which was affecting his heart. He was exposed within 48 hrs. to the flu. People are no generally aware of this danger I don’t think.

1. Terry says:

DId they give your son Levaquin Avelox or Cipro ? These drugs are called Fluroquinolones ddoctors are not aware of the long lasting devastaing side effects of these drugs. They are suppose to be used when all else fails The doctors use them as first kine of defense. I have be destroyed by Cipro and Levaquin. Google the side affects . Side affects can show up 5 yrs later . Bater did not count on that Cipro is linked to Gulf War Illness. Not everyone has long lasting side affects but so many do

18. Buffalo Bill says:

I had this same Flu!!! I was hacking up lung burgers for days. Finally I broke down and smoked a fatty and the next day I was feeling great and HUNG like Dirk Diggler!!!!!

1. DeputyDog says:

Thanks for the laugh…..a lot of strange stuff on here

19. Honest_Abe says:

…this has been confined to these four individuals and this has been confined to this family group,” Fowler said.

A strain of flu limited to four people in one family. I don’t think so.

20. chris says:

Flu shot only works on the specific flu strains they put in their concoction. They “think” it may be the flu, so everyone rush out and get the flu shot!
    Everyone that buys into flu vacinations are morons!!

Argue with me all you want, the evidence is compelling!!

Unfortunately the flu shot junkies only listen to the lying government agencies that compell you, via their manipulative media, to sustain the pharmaceutical companies.

1. Anon says:

The flu shots are prepared against the most likely strains of flu based on what is currently circulating. Because Influenza has segmented RNA, it can trade traits between strains very efficiently.
      Do you have evidence that is not anecdotal?

21. Guest12 says:

My husband and I are 56. We never ever get flu shots and we never will. Everyone in our families and everyone of our coworkers who get the shots end up very ill with something – every time. And we’re always the last ones standing without so much as a bad cold. I haven’t had the flu since 1984. I put myself to bed, took OTC meds, rested and that was that. I did not go running to the doctor for any Rx meds. And I still take no prescription meds of any kind.

22. Diego Roswell says:

The story does not mention the physical (pre-death) condition of the victims. Is it possible that this group of people were sick or sickly prior to getting the flu and therefore susceptible to complications? In other words, were they obese?

23. Lucille says:

The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Really?

24. desert says:

well, over the past few years, the dimwitted satanic scientists have been trying to create a pandemic with the flu virus…guess they finally made it!

25. Sunny says:

Sounds like an old bug making the rounds.Can’t remember the name of it darnit.Roseola does this.However that is usually seen in infants and children.Possible that the flu shot reactivated the virus?It normally lies dormant on a permanent basis unlike shicken pox that can reappear as shingles.Btw getting pheumonia from the flu shot isn’t odd exactly.I’ve only gotten a flu shot two or three times in my life.Every time I ended up with pneumonia.Yes it was directly attributal to the shot.Doc even confirmed it.Maybe what happened here?

26. NP says:

Such speculation with NO FACTS- did they have preexisting health conditions such as COPD, CHF, asthma? Had they been on steroids recently (suppresses immune sysem)? Medications for rhematoid arthritis (DMARDS suppress immune system)? Were they all smokers? Etc etc etc…..Too many other issues could’ve caused the flu to kill them where it wouldn’t kill a person without those conditions.

27. crystal says:

People need to avoid getting a flu shot! If you do come down with the flu, you should try two natural therapies: colloidal silver and hydrotherapy. Go to this link and see how hydrotherapy was used during the Spanish flu of 1918 and no one that could walk into the clinic died with the spanish flu if they got hydrotherapy. For more information about health issues go to: perspectivesonhealth.com and check out the following you tube video:

1. CLS88 says:

Good lord!

VITAMIN D at circulating levels above 40 ng/ml is protective against Type A influenza.

Get with the program, for heaven’s sake!

SUNSHINE!

2. Anon says:

Colloidal silver is ineffective, See van Hasselt P, Gashe B, Ahmad J (April 2004). “Colloidal silver as an antimicrobial agent: fact or fiction?”. J of Wound Care.

For more information, please go to google and NOT just the link that the guy telling you he’s got a miracle cure recommends.

28. americanfirst says:

Interesting location.

incredible proximity to Washington and Virginia a threat from w/out could be easily accessible via Chesapeake Bay.
    A threat from within could easily take a new virus strain and test it under controlled conditions close to the potential source of the threat again Washington.

29. DeputyDog says:

I have had a flu shot every year for about the last 4-5 years.

The two years before I first got one I was sick both years that developed into sinus infections with doctor visits and drugs. Since I have had the shots I have not been sick in the winter.

And nothing weird happened to me after the shots..

just thought I would introduce some facts into this discussion and not just weirdo comments

30. sww1rb says:

Sounds like a Steven King movie.
    Praying for the family!!!

31. plus de facebook likes says:

Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity to your publish is just cool and that i could think you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to clutch your feed to keep up to date with approaching post. Thank you a million and please continue the gratifying work.