WATCH WJZ @ NOON TODAY | The Army-Navy rivalry comes to Baltimore. WJZ has live pre-game ceremonies and the game | Who Will Win? | Army-Navy 2016

Former Baltimore Mayor Condemns Trayvon Martin Case

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — After public outcry, new investigations are launched in the controversial death of a Florida teenager.

Adam May reports the case has outraged people across the country, including a former Baltimore mayor who’s now a leader in civil rights and the law.

Florida prosecutors have instructed a grand jury to investigate the death of Trayvon Martin. The unarmed teenager was walking through a gated community near Orlando, when he was shot by a neighborhood watch volunteer.

When 28-year-old George Zimmerman called police before the shooting, a dispatcher told him to leave the teen alone. Soon after, another neighbor called 911 to report screams, possibly from the teen.

“So you think he’s yelling `Help’?” said the dispatcher.
“Yes, there’s gunshots,” said the caller.

“I was just…just shocked when I heard about the case,” said Kurt Schmoke.

Former mayor of Baltimore and the current dean of Howard Law Kurt Schmoke sent a letter to the Martins’ lawyer offering assistance.

“I didn’t think the family had resources to hire some big law firm so Howard Law, with its history of social justice involvement, seemed to be the right place to provide that support,” Schmoke said.

The Martin family attorney has some powerful evidence. A 16-year-old girl claims she was on the phone with Trayvon moments before the shooting and he said he feared he was being followed.

Almost a month since the incident triggered calls for the arrest of the shooter, the Department of Justice and the FBI also announced plans to launch their own investigations.

Mayor Schmoke hasn’t heard a response to his offer yet, but he expects to. He personally knows a member of the law firm representing the Martin family.

Comments

1. MD Resident says:

All this media attention and the national african american radio shows are druming up a major potential riot in Florida! Amazing, rather than letting justice take its course, they are going to assume a verdict and blame somebody else for their problems! Only in America!

1. K. Smith says:

the problem is that justice has not even begun to take its course. No arrest was made when Zimmerman ADMITTED to shooting this teen. Even a police officer has to account for discharging their weapon. This really isn’t about race so much as it is about real justice. However, any member of ANY race would yell from the rooftops whenever innocent teens in their particular race are gunned down in cold blood. This young man did nothing to deserve the treatment he received.

2. Catlady777 says:

We still remember Emmitt Till and the interviews his murders gave after they got off. There needs to be plenty of attention to this case. A good kid, an excellent student, no behavior problems gets murderes because he was walking while black. The authorities did not handle this case properly and only because of the media attention is it being handled now. The murderer is still walking around.

3. Latisha says:

Are you serious, if we meaning all Americans who seek justice don’t speak up nothing would have been done, don’t down play that if the table was turned that man would be under the jail by now, a child was murder, no one is being blamed but the person who stalked and shot an innocent child who had his whole life ahead of him.

2. KrissyMD says:

When the 911 dispatcher told him to not follow this kid ZImmerman made a choice. He not only continued to follow him he got out of his truck with his concealed gun – did he mention that to 911? Then he confronted the kid. He did all this AFTER he was told not to follow him. He needs to be charged with something. I don;t know legally manslaughter, murder, stalking, harassment, hate crime, I don’t know. Personally I feel it was murder. Poor kid was screaming for help. Zimmerman never would have had to “defend himself” if he had not gotten out of his truck. He made a conscience effort to instigate this kid, or attack him. He is a wanna be cop. Zimmerman made it about race. He said the boy did not “belong”. The police should be ashamed they let this get so big. I hope not only does Zimmerman get charged & convicted but someone in the department needs to be stepping down. They blew it here.

3. happy1 says:

Zimmerman is HISPANIC. The media and NAACP would have you to believe otherwise…WHo is racist????

1. KrissyMd says:

Its not about race. It’s about one person taking a life of another for no good reason. An adult shot an unarmed person when they were told step back, let the police check this out. Mexican, black or white – i don;t care. He murdered a person – a 17 year old boy – walking home not making any trouble. Heck, he could have been anyone’s boy. That man decided for whatever reason that he did not belong in his neighborhood, maybe he was not mexican enough, maybe he was not tall enough, maybe he was not happy enough. Doesn’t matter. Zimmerman made a conscience decision to pull out his gun. He shot him. That alone is enough for the police to investigate. They had not bothered until people all over started fussing. I am a mom, I am outraged. I am angry. I do not care what race either of them are. Trayvon was someone’s child. He was murdered.

4. Mike says:

Stop worrying and playing the race card, lets get down to evidence and exactly what happened and prosecute the guilty. One thing you people are not understanding is that this kid was walking through a gated community (private property). I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong, we just need to gather the evidence. There’s to many speculations, and no specifics. I have seen interviews with witnesses on CNN and they seem to speculate what happened, with no real evidence, saying ” well i heard this or that, so im not sure who did what, but it had to happen”.

1. Catlady777 says:

The child was walking through a gated community where his father and family lived. the self-appointed wannbe-cop was told by the police not to persue the boy. If this boy had been white he would not have been stopped. On the tape the shooter referred to the boy as a “f–king coon”. That is on the tape. The tapes show the boy was on his cell phone with his girl friend until moments before he was murdered. Those are the facts.

1. the real real deal keets. says:

He didn’t live there , he was an outsider & arrogant lil prick.

2. Classym says:

Yes it was a gated community but Trayvon was a visitor visiting someone he knew. And had been there a few days. Yes we need togather all the facts and so do you Mike.

5. 1-0-3-0 WITHERSPOON says:

MARYLAND NAACP HEADQUATERS. WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO SAY? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE DRUG DEALING ON EVERY CORNER OF BALTIMORE CITY, MURDERS EVER DAY WE READ BLACK ON BLACK. NAACP DESTROYED MARYLAND

6. WHATHHESAY says:

WHEN THE BLACKS STOP KILLING BLACKS. WHEN THE BLACKS STOP DESTROYING COMPLETE NEIGHBORHOODS THAT LOOK WORSE THEN IRAQ. WHEN THE BLACKS STOP THE DRUG DEALING. WHEN THE BLACKS GET OFF WELFARE.WHEN NAACP HEADQUATERS GO TO HELL.

1. Catlady777 says:

You cannot use that as an excuse for a child being murdered by a wanna be cop. We can change that mind set around. Maybe we should start a new law for the next time some crazy white kid decides to shoot everyone in a school. Maybe the black security guards should start shooting them because they look suspicious. That would be ridiculous and wrong, as wrong as a grown man murdering a black kid for no reason because he looks suspicious.

1. 1-0-3-0 WITHERSPOON says:

cat lady we know you work for the naacp, the racism is pouring out of your writing. most of all racism isn’t bringing the boy back, education, to the matters of these issues will .the wisdom and understanding these issues needs, we unite, division we fail.

2. WHATHHESAY says:

LADY YOU ARE CONFUSED AS FLYS ON SH@#

3. Olesea says:

16a1483511bWonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your siwbete, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept 187

2. Julio says:

16a12b352c0hello there and thank you for your information e28093 I have nretaicly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this web site, as I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway Ie28099m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon.. 187

7. 1-0-3-0-WITHERSPOON says:

RACISM STARTS WITH THE NAACP HEADQUATERS IN MARYLAND THAT IS FUNDED BY FEDERAL, STATE $$$$$$. WHO DIDN’T KNOW THAT? WISE UP

8. BETH ANN says:

THESE FORMER MAYORS ARE AS CROOKED AS THERE MA MA’S BACK. ADD THE NAACP IN THIS MIX IT IS THE FORMULA FOR THAT WORD RACISM!!!!

9. Beth St Clair says:

Who cares if he is HALF Hispanic (and half white) ANY race can be racist againt ANY other race, even their own. This man targeted this young boy and is heard on the tape making comments related to the teens race…period. I agree…the ‘white man has done wrong’ stereotype is sometimes over used and unwarrented…HOWEVER, this young man was murdered and cold blood and his murderer should be brought to justice. A parent should never have to fear never seeing their child again after they go to buy candy and tea. Smh…

10. Kris says:

If it were not for the media this story would never have been heard about. It is unfortunate that in order for Blacks to receive justice all the stars have to be in align just so. Justice and other liberties are taken for granted by other races but for Blacks everything has to be hard fought. You will never know how it is until you find yourself Black in America. Yes the Black race has some who abuse systems that are in place to temporarily help and we have some with bad behavior. Every race has issues its just that our issues are blown up out of proportion so now everybody thinks all Blacks are like that. I bet the media will never show all the white people who troll down to East Baltimore to buy drugs. Doctors, lawyers, etc… My last statement will be that in the end the Lord knows all and He will be the Judge. That goes for all races.

1. saywhat says:

Kris, you need to see how blacks are treated in other countries. In America, their life is a cake walk. In the Dominican Rebuplic, you step out of line and it’s off with your head. I’m so sick of hearing how black folks are so poorly treated here. It’s time for some global thinking. If it’s so bad here, they can go back to the mother land. Oh right, they sold them first.

11. Latisha says:

Wow, when they stop robing, destroying, act like humans, who is they, because I see white, blacks, and Hispanics doing all these things, let’s not act like racism doesn’t exist, it does doesn’t mean accept it because a certain race thinks they are better than another opinions are like a$% holes everyone’s got one, facts are facts he was told to stay in the house away from ” suspicious” person, he did just the opposite and took a child’s life because he was in a gated community!! What we don’t have black people who live in nice areas, just like there aren’t white people who live in ghettos, tear up, Rob, rape, kill, there are low life people in every race.

12. the mechanic says:

Where’s all the black leadership when one of their shoots & kills one of their own? rapes, robs or murders a white person? Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson & all the bible thumping black a-holes along with the NAACP???

13. Shields says:

Do Maryland have this law on the books I hope so I will stright to the gun dealer and puarches me an 9mm hand gun because there,s an hellva lott of white men in suites’and ties that scares me,and make me fear for my life.

14. Duane G. Davis says:

Find it hard to Trust your station when the same thing happened here in Park heights to a young black teenage and bernstien refused to charge those 2 men for beating him. Jimcrow justice in baltimore and your station.adam may and 6 of your reporters have been served with subpeonas to testify in a trial 5-18-2012 directly adressing the issue of Racism in the Media and the Baltimore /city/County states attorney’s office. for racial bias. FCC is involved as well because your station knowingly lied to the public 2-7-2011. Toilet was all about your station. WJZ!3 was the BOMB.

15. independent thinker says:

What is sad and ironic is the mass rush to judge this story on its appearance alone. Isnt judgment based on appearance what everyone is outraged over?! Yet idots are coming out in numbers condeming this act without knowing all the facts. You can’t have it both ways people. Typical double standard BS. The media has crucified him with certain “facts” but conveniently leaves out the evidence that Zimmerman was struck in the head as he walked back to his car, Zimmerman has many AA relatives, and Zimmerman was bleeding from face.

1. KrissyMD says:

Walking “back to the truck” He NEVER should have gotten OUT OF THE TRUCK! If this is true, there is more proof he instigated this. Zimmerman was told NOT TO FOLLOW. He needs to be charged and have his day in court. Without that, there is no justice!!

1. independent thinker says:

I can feel your anger and rage, ironically (again) it is people that preach tolerance that are completely intolerant of ideas and free discourse, unless the ideas are in alignment with their own view. You like to tell people what they “should” do and “should” think. You just close your eyes and accept what the media tells you to accept. I’m so sorry I focus on evidence and critical thinking, its a silly habit.

2. KrissyMD says:

OK independent thinker, evidence, ZImmerman was in a vehicle, correct? Trayvon was walking, correct? That I think you should agree with. Trayvon was on the ground shot, Zimmerman was on the ground. I think one would have to conclude Zimmerman got out of the truck. I am not telling you to think my way. I am saying, by this information, “I” am angry that a child was shot dead. And I am glad someone feels my anger. I am a mom. I don’t get it. Why did an adult get out of his vehicle and confront this kid???? I heard the 911 call Zimmerman made. The dispatcher said we don’t need you to follow him. But he did. This did not have to happen. I think he needs to be charged and tried. Then a jury or a judge can decide.

3. jmmd says:

Actually, according to the recording during the call zimmerman made to the police, the “kid” can be heard walking up to the guy in his truck and asking him if he had a problem, then telling him he had one now and punched him. According to the witness that called, he id’d the shooter as the one on the ground (bottom) and calling for help. Also, all the pictures that they are showing are old, the kid was over 200 lbs and evidently had a history of problems. So just because he was black, it is all over the place. If he had been white, we probably wouldn’t even know it happened. The way people are now, you have to watch the people that you don’t know not just in your yard but everywhere you go. We read everyday about missing women, children, etc, so if you are living in a gated community and someone you don’t know is walking around, even in a non-gated community, just your own neighborhood, don’t we have the right to ask? Maybe having a gun was wrong, but if they had several robberies and the gun was in his truck, how do you know what you woud do if you felt threatened.

16. Ramon says:

Wow, I haven’t seen comments like this in a while. It’s a good thing we live in a “post racial America!” HAR HAR

17. Janice Jones-Johnson says:

I have been reading some of the comments and are really shocked.How can anyone justify killing an unarmed person? I do not need the naacp or Kurt Schomke to advise me how to think.I have heard everything that is pertaining to this case so far.This man was acting in a racist intent and killed.This is the same way they are trying to kill our president through overt predjudice.I am sick and tired of this country and it’s antics.It seems that racsim is still alive and very much kicking!!!! Janice Jones-Johnson-Baltimore

18. 1-0-3-0 WITHERSPOON says:

the naacp is meeting and demonstrating on monday. what good could come out of the naacp. this is all about race. all the murders,drugs ,gangs in the city killing black on black go’s unoticed. the 2 kllings in towson mall go’s unotice. the two marines shot dead go unoticed. the naacp head quaters maryland, is full of racism , hate,want everthing for free.the state and federal money go’s to the naacp.maryland you keep voted the wrong people in and now most white folks got out of the city or most even out of the state. this is a fact look at the maryland population chart , whites are leaving, and the city has no $$$$ . they are broke the city of maryland the only way it will come back, is to rid the city of naacp, and black folks work for a living. the gravy boat/train has sailed,

1. WHATHHESAY says:

not a lot to think about the black have all city, state and federal jobs with all the benfits. whites are leaving , they wised up to there flanks, and are moving on. who will pay the black way now? NAACP WILL MOVE OUT OF MARYLAND IN ABOUT 3 TO 5 YEARS,ANY STATE DUMB ENOUGH/IGNORANT TO TAKE THESE THUGS DESERVE TO WATCH HISTORY. THE DESTRUCTION OF MARYLAND!!!

19. SPADE ON SPADE says:

DING DONG THE KID IS DEAD. I THINK THE NAACP DID IT

20. IT IS WHAT IT IS SPADE ON SPADE says:

RACISM FROM THE HOLLYWOOD CALFORNIA WANT TO BE RAPPERS, NAACP, AND EVER OTHER LIBERAL IS PUSHING HATE AND RACISM. MORE DIED EACH YEAR IN OUR CITY STREETS THEN THE WHOLE IRAQ WAR,WERE WAS THE SO CALLED CONCERNED RAPPERS OF MURDER MUSIC, NACCP, AND LIBERALS. I CAN CARE LESS ABOUT THIS KID AND THE NAACP, YOU BROUGHT THE RACE CARD TO THE TABLE, AND I AIN’T BUYING IT I’AM BROKE FROM PAYING ALL THE WEFARE, HOUSING FOR THE BLACK. THIS WILL NEVER END IN BALTIMORE, THE NEWS IN THE MORNING TOMMOROW WILL BE BLACK KILLING BLACK. IS ANY ONE UPSET. DIDN’T THINK SO!!!

21. SanFordNSon says:

You are 100% correct jake you never hear a peep out of the NAACP when all the nigg$rs are making breaking news murdering people everyday and we arent the only two people who has said this,NAACP WHATS YOUR EXCUSE SPEAK UP?????also if you haven’t noticed WJZ13 deffently has some nigg$rs working for them because comments like mine that are the truth get deleted all the time.

22. Classym says:

White hispanic Zimmerman What does that mean? He thinks and acts like. a white man. we all better watch out. Trayon was in a gated community visiting family. Are there no blacks in this gated community?

1. tonybaloney says:

Gated communities cost money, Blacks like free.

23. John says:

* I thought your not suppose to bring up a minnors record any way. A child does what other kids tell them to do. Is there any such thing as being a kid any more?

24. tonybaloney says:

Nuckin Figgers.

25. Michael P Coleman says:

WHY ARE THE NEWS SHOWING THE PICTURE OF A LITTLE BOY, FOR A MONTH ? HE WAS 6 FT 3 INCHES. NOT A LITTLE BOY. ZIMMERMAN WAS JUST ABOUT TO GET IN HIS VHICLE, WHEN TRAYVON, NOT THE LITTLE BOY, SUCKER PUNCHED ZIMMERMAN AND BROK HIS NOSE. WHILE ON HIS BACK, TAVON WAS BASHING ZIMMERMAN’S HEAD INTO THE CONCRETE SIDEWALK, WHEN FATELY SHOT ! SELF DEFENCE ! SO BRING ON THE THE RIOTS ! THE BLACK RACIST PANTHERS, DON’T MATTER. FLORIDA DON’T PLAY WITH RACISTS RIOTERS ! LET THEM BURN THERE NEIGHBORHOODS, STORES SO GRANDMA HAS TO TAKE 3 BUSSES FOR MILK.

26. ravenmaniac881 says:

Awesome…..maybe Mr. Schmoke can gather up Billy Murphy, Warren Brown and A Dwight Pettit to form a new Dream Team……the likes that we have not seen since OJ’s group of lawyers.

Funny how since the latest news of this kid not necessarily being the victim that they are portraying him to be we have heard nothing from that pathetic Al Sharpton….but then again Al was wrong with Tawana Brawley.

27. tonybaloney says:

Fuc’n coons are always looking for a scam, lying, an open door or an unlocked window. I know it, the world knows so let’s cut out the B.S.

28. Yatabaloublou says:

16a19235fbVery nice post. I just stumbled upon your bwelog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case Ie28099ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon! 187