Reporting Jeremy Conn
On the show this week I put together the list of the craziest athletes in sports. We all know there are different types of crazy and there is a wide variety on the list.
5. Dennis Rodman… Some people believe he should be higher on the list. Rodman is a special kind of crazy, from wearing a wedding dress to writing a tell all book about his sexual conquests. On the court you would see the tattooed, pierced, crazy haired power forward headbutting opponents and kicking cameramen. A very odd and eccentric person that deserves mention.
4. Jose Canseco: You may say he is not that crazy, and then I would tell you to check out his twitter account. From talking about global warming which would have saved the Titanic from sinking, to telling everyone he died and saw Elvis and Michael Jackson, to his incoherent ramblings on why polar bears are dying at a record rate. I haven’t even mentioned half the stuff during his playing career and his run in with law enforcement on numerous occasions.
3. Stephon Marbury: Starbury, as he wants to be called, went off the deep end
after his NBA career. He played overseas and things got really interesting. He opened up a 24 hour live web feed on himself. He discussed manicures, health reform, and how much money it would take for him to lay with another man. He sang and danced on camera and to top it all off, he ate Vaseline because he said it cured his sore throat. He tried to blackmail his coach for not playing him in a game.
2. Metta World Peace: Maybe you prefer Ron Artest. He has been suspended more than any other player in NBA history.
In his rookie year, he applied for a job at Circuit City just to get the employee discount on Cd’s. He asked head coach Rick Carlisle for a month off during the season, because he was exhausted from promoting his record label. Carlisle suspended him for 2 games. He has a bunch of his friends that he grew up with in Queens bridge that live with him now. Sounds like a good idea right? Well, they all own dogs that crap all over the house and nobody cleans it up. So every couple weeks he has the carpet changed in the house. MWP is one of the strangest individuals but he is not #1.
1. Iron Mike Tyson: One of my favorite athletes of all time. I could simply type he bit off a piece of Evander Holyfields ear in a match and leave it at that, but that only scratches the surface.
His press conferences and interviews are priceless. He told Lennox Lewis that he would “Eat his Children”, he told a female reporter that she shouldn’t ask any question unless she wanted to fornicate with him, and countless other time yelling obscenities at reporters. Mike Tyson also spent time in jail and has lived an extremely tough life. If you ever watch the documentary on his life, you see a very likeable guy with some deep seated issues.
Honorable Mentions…Tonya Harding, Latrell Spreewell, Bill Romanowski, John Rocker, Bobby Knight, Pacman Jones, and Ricky Williams.