ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)– Annapolis police are looking for the man who sexually assaulted a downtown resident last month.
Pat Warren reports surveillance video has surfaced that could provide a lead.
“I usually feel pretty safe walking around,” one Annapolis resident said.
An area not prone to crime becomes the scene of a crime in an alleyway with a view of the Maryland State House.
A young woman walking home at 1:30 a.m. on May 19 was followed by a stranger who forced her into the alley between Duke of Gloucester and West Street in historic downtown Annapolis. She told police she was able to fight him off, but not before he sexually assaulted her.
Now, police have released surveillance video of a man running nearby around the same time as the attack.
“We’ve been trying to tie and see if it’s related to any other things in any other areas. It doesn’t appear to be,” Det. Amy Miguez of the Annapolis Police Department said.
Annapolis Police want to determine if this man or anyone saw or heard anything unusual at the time of the attack.
“And if anyone knows who this guy is, you know, give us a call. Tell us who you think it might be,” Miguez said. “We’re not going down breaking down doors. This is not a suspect at this time but it’s a person of interest. We would just like to talk to him.”
While police believe this was an isolated attack, it is also a reminder to be on guard.
“You have to be careful, so it’s danger everywhere,” Amber Campbell, an Annapolis resident, said.
“You have to be careful. It’s up to us to protect ourselves,” another resident said.
If you have information that leads to an arrest and indictment, you may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000 from Metro CrimeStoppers.
Annapolis Police say there were five rapes and two attempted rapes reported in the city last year.
The May 19 incident is the first reported sexual assault this year.