GAMBRILLS, Md. (WJZ)– The Anne Arundel County Fire Department says 16 homes and a child care and nursery were evacuated on Thursday after a ruptured gas line resulted in a gas leak.
A fiber optic subcontractor had ruptured the underground gas line at 1:30 p.m. on Reidel Road. About 50 children from the nearby day care were evacuated to a fire station after employees there smelled the strong gas odor.
Fire department officials say the gas also leaked into the sewer system on Echo Bay Court.
The children have since been picked up by their parents and the evacuees have returned to their homes.
BGE said the leak should be fixed sometime on Friday.