Car Wash Cashier Burned When Dress Catches Fire

SALSIBURY, Md. (AP) — Co-workers say a car wash cashier was severely burned when her dress was ignited by an electrical heater.

It happened Saturday at Soft-Touch Car Wash in Salisbury. Cashier Jennifer Camper tells the Daily Times of Salisbury that Karen Jenkins’ dress touched a heat coil and caught fire.

Camper says Jenkins ran in a panic and a co-worker knocked her down and smothered the fire. Another co-worker sprayed Jenkins with a hose.

Jenkins was in critical but stable condition at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore.

Salisbury Assistant Fire Chief Tim Gladwell says running fuels and open flame and makes it spread faster. He said the school-age lesson of “stop, drop and roll” should be practiced if one’s clothing catches fire.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network

Listen Live