WATCH WJZ @ NOON ON SATURDAY | The Army-Navy rivalry comes to Baltimore. WJZ has live pre-game ceremonies and the game.

3 Navy Football Players Formally Charged With Rape Of Female Midshipman

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — New developments in the alleged rape case at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

Just days after the accuser spoke publicly about the case on WJZ, formal charges are filed.

Monique Griego explains what’s next for the accused midshipmen.

This puts the case one step closer towards going to trial.

The U.S. Naval Academy officially charges three football players for allegedly raping a female fellow midshipman.

The 20-year-old victim claims the assault happened April 2012 at an off campus party.

“I was drinking, I drank a lot. And then, from that point on, I really don’t remember what happened,” the victim said. “I woke up the next morning with bruises and I knew something wasn’t right.”

The players are charged with violating two articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. One accuses them of making a false statement, the other is for rape and sexual assault.

The Naval Academy Investigative Services initially closed this case when the  victim refused to cooperate. She later obtained a lawyer and came forward.

“NCIS reopened their investigation, which is very uncommon,” said Joseph Owens, attorney.

Defense attorney Joseph Owens, who specializes in military law, says with charges filed the case goes to an Article 32 hearing, which is similar to a grand jury.

“Let’s put witnesses on the stand and let’s see what they have to say and see if there’s enough evidence to go forward to an actual trial,” Owens said.

But this is just one of a string of military sex crimes that has lawmakers calling for change.

“You cannot afford to have someone assaulted in the military, it’s an assault on the whole country. So the leadership has to do something,” said Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger, (D) Maryland.

The victim is ready for her day in court.

“These are obviously some serious situations that need to be addressed, but I haven’t lost hope,” she said.

The Naval Academy has not identified the three football players. They also declined to comment pending the ongoing investigation.

Two of the accused players are no longer on the team. A third has been suspended.

Last month, at least one of them was not allowed to graduate.

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
Your Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live