wjz-13 all-news-99-1-wnew 1057-the-fan 1300logo2_67x35

Local

Police Arrest 3 Teens In Recent String Of Cell Phone Robberies

View Comments
cell phones
Ileto Christie 370x278 (2) Christie Ileto
Christie Ileto joined WJZ's News Team in the fall of 2012. She was...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries

POEts: The Legendary, The Celebrity, The Local, The ControversialPOEts: The Legendary, The Celebrity, The Local, The Controversial

Celebrities Born Outside The U.S.Celebrities Born Outside The U.S.

Top Celebrities On TwitterTop Celebrities On Twitter

Ranking Stephen KingRanking Stephen King

Famous Women Who Underwent Double MastectomiesFamous Women Who Underwent Double Mastectomies

» More Photo Galleries

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Three city teens are under arrest for at least 20 attacks in different parts of Baltimore.

Police say they carjacked vehicles, then used the stolen cars to ambush people and rob them.

Christie Ileto has more on the arrests.

Police say the brazen bandits were looking to snatch anything of value, but were focused primarily on taking cell phones.

Baltimore Police say a trio of teens, ages 15, 16 and 17, are behind a string of at least 20 brazen cell phone robberies and two carjackings across the city.

“We’re happy to say that we’ve been able to make some arrests,” said Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez, Baltimore City Police Department.

Earlier this week, police ramped up patrols to diffuse the spike in robberies happening in neighborhoods like Roland Park and Little Italy.

Residents in those areas say they can now sleep a little easier.

“I think it’s wonderful that they got them because they should be off the street,” said Mary Sudano, Little Italy.

Detectives say robberies happened in Southeast Baltimore, six in Northeast and 12 in North Baltimore.

Police say the trio would drive up alongside or behind their victims in stolen vehicles and take anything from purses to money. But they were looking primarily for cell phones.

“They didn’t discriminate if there was additional property there,” said Rodriguez.

Detectives say even with three arrests, more people could be involved.

“So we’re looking at every possible angle to bring anyone and everyone that was involved with these crimes to justice,” Rodriguez said.

And that means police will continue to patrol.

“I’m almost always cautious. But I’m still not going to let that make me be afraid,” said Joan Lewczak, Little Italy.

Police say one of the teens is expected to be charged as an adult.

Police are still looking into whether the trio is linked to a Roland Park shooting that happened Wednesday morning.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus