ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—A domestic incident in Annapolis ends with two people dead. Annapolis Police say they shot and killed a man moments after he stabbed his estranged girlfriend to death.

Monique Griego has the latest from police and neighbors.

According to police, officers and a neighbor tried to stop the attack but the suspect, William Brown, wouldn’t give up.

Just before 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, neighbors in the 1900-block of Copeland Street awoke to horrible sounds.

“Heard a fight, heard some screaming, a call for help. It was apparent a man was beating a woman,” said Annapolis Police Chief Michael Pristoop.

Screams then turned into gunfire.

“Just as I sat up, I heard the shots,” said neighbor Marilyn Dillard.

Dillard looked outside and saw her neighbor, 29-year-old Ronnesha Simms, stabbed several times. Simm’s estranged boyfriend, 31-year-old William Brown, had just been shot by police.

“He was laying down there with his hands cuffed behind him,” said Dillard.

Both were taken to the hospital but later died.

Annapolis Police say officers responded for a domestic disturbance and found Simms clinging to life and Brown threatening her with a kitchen knife. Once Brown advanced toward them, authorities say an officer shot him.

“Mr. Brown was able to stab Ms. Simms one more time in front of the officer,” Pristoop said.

Police say even before officers arrived, a neighbor had intervened. He didn’t want to go on camera but said Brown started beating and stabbing Simms as she held her 2-year-old daughter.

Police are now calling that neighbor a hero because after witnessing the attack, he ran out to disarm the suspect. He was able to kick the knife away. As Brown ran to get another knife, neighbors took both of Simms’ little girls to safety.

“She was just clinging to her sister. She had blood on her clothes, on her hands,” a witness said.

Brown has an extensive criminal history and just last year was sentenced to 10 years for assault and kidnapping but was freed after 120 days. Police are now looking into why he was let out of jail.

“I’m concerned, absolutely,” a neighbor said.

Last year, Brown was also convicted to assaulting Simms but received another suspended sentence.

The officer involved has been put on administrative leave.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE