LAUREL, Md. (WJZ)— A customer pointed a machine gun at a Wal-Mart employee after he was told he could not return items without a receipt.
The gun turned out to be a CO2 powered BB gun.
Shahzad M. Iqbal, 41, faces attempted robbery, attempted first-degree assault and possession of CDS charges.
It happened Monday just before 11 p.m. at the Wal-Mart located in the 3500-block of Russett Green East in Laurel.
A woman working at the customer service counter told police Iqbal approached the counter and attempted to return a used electronic tablet device, but his request was refused as he was unable to provide a receipt. He then took a pair of headphones off of his head and requested to return them as well. His request was again denied because he didn’t have a receipt.
That’s when things turned worse.
Police say Iqbal placed a backpack on the counter, took out a black sub-compact machine gun, later identified as the BB gun, and pointed it at the employee. He demanded that money be returned to him. When the Wal-Mart employee yelled, Iqbal fled through the front door without getting any money.
Patrol officers found him on the side of the Wal-Mart walking away from the store. He was taken into custody without incident and positively identified by Wal-Mart employees as the person who attempted the robbery.
The BB gun was recovered in the suspect’s backpack.
Other Local News:
- Crews Investigating Suspicious Package In Social Security Administration Mail Room
- Tractor Trailer Fire Blocks All Southbound Lanes Of I-95 Near Rt 100
- Teens Charged In Rape Of Classmate; Female Acquaintance Investigated As Possible Mastermind
- Police Release Video Of Suspects Accused Of Assaulting, Robbing Elderly Man
- Police Searching For Woman Who Suffers From Memory Loss