SUITLAND, Md. (WJZ) — Freak accident. A 6-year-old girl is dead after being hung in her own home. According to police, cords attached to the blinds somehow got wrapped around her neck.
Rochelle Ritchie has the latest.
The little girl was found by a family member who tried CPR on her, but to no avail.
Tragedy strikes at a home in Suitland after a frantic call to 911 of a little girl not breathing. According to Prince George’s County Police, the little girl somehow became tangled in the cords attached to the blinds.
She was found by a family member, who called police and tried CPR on her until paramedics arrived. But nothing could be done to save her.
“Since 2012, manufacturers have mandated that they have two cords, not just one. That would stop strangulation issues,” Teresa Anne Crisman, Prince George’s County EMS.
The Prince George’s County Safe Kids is dedicated to preventing tragedies such as this, and say it’s an unfortunate reminder to keep cords out of reach.
“With this situation, those cords are probably older, they were never retro-fitted to add a free kit that you can get from manufacturers and add those two,” Crisman said. “Because a simple snip of the cords… It’s putting two knots in them could honestly change the outcome.”
The little girl was pronounced dead at the hospital. It’s not known how long she may have been tangled in the cords.
Prince George’s County Police are now handling the investigation.
Other Local News:
- Pressure Mounting For Mosby To Drop Charges In Remaining Gray Cases
- Family Still In Shock 1-Year After Fatal Drunk Driving Crash
- Triple Amputee Veteran Is 2016 ‘Faces Of Valor’ Honoree
- State Halts Oyster and Clam Harvesting in Some Spots Due to High Bacteria Levels
- Man Sentenced To 15 Years For Arson, Looting During Riots