Dunbar High School Football Program Under Investigation For Hazing
BALTIMORE (WJZ)–The Baltimore City School Board is investigating allegations of hazing at Dunbar High School in East Baltimore.
The allegations involve the school’s football program, and parents are upset the school’s celebrated coach may be removed.
Parents of junior varsity football players who went to a school board meeting last week say the allegations stem from an incident in November in the locker room.
School officials will only say they are looking into the incident. One parent says they were told at the meeting that the investigation could result in the removal of the football program’s head coach, Lawrence Smith.
A group of parents sent a letter to education leaders, defending their sons and protesting any removal of Smith.
Smith has been at Dunbar for seven years and led the team to five state championships.
Baltimore City Schools released this statement:
“Baltimore City Public Schools is currently investigating an alleged case of hazing at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School. Due to the ongoing investigation, the district cannot comment on any allegations or the investigation’s status. The district takes any and all allegations of hazing seriously, and hazing in any form by any City Schools student or staff member is unacceptable. Schools must be places where all members of the school community—and especially students—feel safe.”
Other Local News:
- Security Heightened At Courthouse As Freddie Gray Hearings Set To Begin
- Gov. Hogan Feeling Strong After 4th Round Of Chemo
- Md. Senator Ben Cardin To Make Decision ‘Shortly’ About Iran Nuclear Deal
- Pope Francis Eases Church Rule On Abortion Forgiveness
- Wednesday’s Freddie Gray Hearing Could See Charges Dismissed; Mosby Recused