BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A space invasion at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Starting Thursday night, the music of some of the most spectacular sci-fi movies and TV shows will pour out of the Meyerhoff.
Mary Bubala reports Mr. Sulu from “Star Trek” is taking command.
George Takei takes the stage for rehearsal of the BSO’s Sci-Fi Spectacular.
You know him best as Mr. Sulu on “Star Trek,” and Takei brings that persona back to life on the BSO stage this weekend.
It’s something he did for audiences here six years ago. But since then, his popularity has skyrocketed to the new frontier of social media.
His humor and comical take on life has gained him 6 million Facebook fans and a million followers on Twitter.
“Humor brings us together, and that’s what I found that to be the social glue, the honey that brings us all together as a people,” Takei said.
Takei is a long-time gay rights activist, who also takes the stage in a Broadway bound musical about the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.
But he’s probably best known for two words post “Star Trek.” Here they are: “Oh my!”
Those are the words he uses to react to a whole host of things when he’s interviewed on talk radio, especially by Howard Stern.
The Sci-Fi Spectacular at the Meyerhoff runs through Sunday. It is nearly sold out, but there is standing room only if interested.
Other Local News:
- Police: Shoplifting Family Affair At Babies R Us Ends In Car Chase
- Church Nursery Volunteer Charged, Girl Says He Touched Her During Mass
- BPD Looking For Next Of Kin For Man Found Dead In Vacant Home
- Police: Abingdon Man Charged For Pointing Gun At Vehicle In ‘Road Rage Incident’
- Several Transported To Hospitals After Limo Crash In Havre de Grace