Unmanned Car Drifts Down Hill, Hits & Kills 73-Year-Old Woman
Get Breaking News First
EDGEWATER, Md. (WJZ)—An Anne Arundel County woman is dead after being hit by a driverless car.
Just after 3 p.m. Monday, Lee Sheila Mahoney, 73, was walking down Chesapeake Drive in Edgewater when a parked 2010 Ford Mustang started to move down the hill behind her.
The car hit her, pinning her underneath.
The car’s owner—23-year-old David Adam Garman–ran after it. Not knowing Mahoney was there, Garman began to back the vehicle up.
So far no charges have been filed against Garman. But preliminary investigation indicates that the primary cause of this crash is driver error. Police say Garman failed park the vehicle with its wheels turned properly toward the curb with the parking brake set.
The investigation is ongoing.
Other Local News:
- Police Search For Man Convicted Of Bigamy
- NTSB: Probe Into Triple Fatal Frederick County Aircraft Crash Will Take A Year
- WJZ-TV’s Ron Matz Inducted Into City College Hall Of Fame
- MDTA Officer Convicted In Off-Duty Gun Assault Involving 3
- Dallas Nurse Nina Pham Speaks After She’s Released From NIH, Declared Ebola-Free