D.C. Cherry Blossoms Predicted To Bloom April 8-12
Get Breaking News First
WASHINGTON (WJZ)—Everyone is eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring. Soon the cherry blossoms in Washington, D.C. will be in bloom.
Jessica Kartalija has more on the big announcement about when they can be seen in full effect.
Spring can’t come soon enough. But because of this long winter, we will have to wait a little longer for the blossoms to hit their peak.
We’re covered with a blanket of snow now. But soon Washington, D.C. will be covered in white again–this time in full bloom for the National Cherry Blossom Festival.
The trees are predicted to reach peak bloom between April 8-12.
Peak bloom means 70 percent of the blossoms are open. With this brutally cold winter, the cherry blossoms are likely to peak a little later this year.
Organizers are announcing plans for the festival with a number of events celebrating the trees and Japanese culture.
This year marks the 102nd anniversary of the gift of the cherry blossom trees from Japan in a symbol of friendship with the United States.
Last year, the blossoms peaked in early April. The year before that, in mid-March.
The cherry blossom parade will be on April 12.
Other Local News:
- Jury Deliberations Underway In Road Rage Murder Trial
- Charges Authorized Against Browns Fan Who Urinated On Art Modell’s Grave
- CBS Sports Radio To Begin Broadcasting Towson Football & Basketball Games
- Annapolis, Baltimore Have Most Nuisance Flooding In The Nation
- 2 Md. Sites Make Shortlist For New FBI Headquarters