PARKVILLE, Md. (WJZ)–The man shot by police in Parkville after threatening officers has died.
Christie Ileto reports it happened Tuesday afternoon at the intersection of Oakleigh Road and Trenleigh Road in Parkville.
Police were called to a home in the 8600-block of Oakleigh Road for a report of a suspect with a knife. The caller was concerned for the suspect’s well-being.
Upon arrival, officers say the suspect began threatening them with the knife.
“The minute they responded to this house, he was threatening them with the knife,” said Elise Armacost, Baltimore County Police. “Fearing for their lives, at least one of our officers discharged his service weapons. A man was shot multiple times.”
One officer shot Ryan Charles Deitrich, 21, who later died.
Investigators are clearing the suspect’s house, where a “long gun” was seen.
Residents are stunned.
“I came out of the city to be in a quiet neighborhood. You hear it everywhere now,” a neighbor said.
The investigation is ongoing.
The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.
Other Local News:
- Hurricane Maria Now Cat. 1, Tropical Storm Warnings Issued For NC Coast
- Thousands Participate In 11th Annual Zero Prostate Cancer Run/Walk
- Police Investigating After 4 People Shot In Brooklyn Park
- Lewis Scores 3 TDs As Jaguars Beat Ravens In London 44-7
- Police Arrest Suspect After Man Dies From Brutal Beating Earlier This Month