BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Annapolis Homicide Under Investigation
- 27-Year-Old Woman Dead In Aberdeen Stabbing
- Man Convicted In Chandra Levy’s Death Won’t Be Retried
- Md. Woman Pleads Guilty To Killing 5-Year-Old Son With Poison
- Lead Prosecutors Break Silence On Freddie Gray Trials