BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- U.S. Security Officials Warn ISIS May Attempt Attack This Year
- Ex-Towson Diving Coach Scheduled In Court For Peeping Tom Incident
- Plan Could Bring Off-Track Betting To Md. State Fairgrounds
- Maryland Deals With Wet Winter Mess
- Friend Says Slain Teen Talked Of Running Away With Defendant