BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Mayor Catherine Pugh Celebrates After Inauguration
- Mysterious Substance Identified in the Potomac River
- Community Reaction on Inauguration Day for Pugh
- The City Condemns Bell Foundry Building
- West Point and the Naval Academy Exchange “Prisoners” for a Semester