BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Md. Woman Injured In Las Vegas Shooting Reaches Milestone In Recovery
- Family Of Alleged Office Gunman Says He Failed To Get Mental Health Treatment
- Witness: Suspect Gathered Co-workers Before Shooting, Said ‘I Want To Say Something To Everybody’
- As Prince Awaits Extradition To Md., One Victim’s Funeral To Be Held Tonight
- Calls From First Responders Heard From Edgewood Business Shooting