BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Dixon Says She Doesn’t Concede Election, Wants All Votes Counted
- Baltimore Police Investigate Fatal Shooting Outside Home Depot
- Fire Officials: Tear Gas-Like Substance Released In Towson Mall
- Black Bear Spotted In Frederick County Neighborhood
- New CEO Appointed To Lead Baltimore City Public Schools