BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- US Aid Worker Made Little Effort To Hide Work In Cuba
- Thanksgiving Travelers Heading Home Should Expect Delays, Security
- Protests Expected As First Freddie Gray Trial Begins Monday
- Man Charged With Attempted Murder After Annapolis Shooting
- Man, 23, Fatally Shot In West Baltimore