BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Wintry Weather Set To Put A Damper On First Days Of Spring
- Did State’s Attorney’s Office Turn Blind Eye To Corrupt BPD Task Force?
- Lead Detectives Testify In Trial Of Phylicia Barnes Murder Suspect
- Man Gets 10 Years In Prison For USPS Letter Carrier Assault
- Victim Of Florida Bridge Collapse Had Ties To Baltimore