BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Maryland To Receive $605K From Target Data Breach Settlement
- Amtrak Service Affected, Train Comes Into Contact With Vehicle
- Baltimore Mayor To Consider Removing Confederate Monuments
- Maryland Beats Boston College, Wins Women’s Lacrosse Title
- Police: Man Dies After Being Assaulted In Hotel Parking Lot