BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- New Report: Traffic Deaths in the U.S. Worst In 50 Years
- Baltimore Co. Schools Won’t Be Grading Students on Homework, Behavior
- Police: Ax-Wielding Man Attempted to Break Into Baltimore ATM
- Portion Of Ellicott City Main Street To Reopen This Week
- Serial Baltimore Bank Robber Wanted; FBI Offers $5K