BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The University of Maryland University College announces another round of layoffs amid declining enrollment numbers.
According to our media partner, The Baltimore Sun, 70 employees were let go ahead of an expected 6.5 percent enrollment decline next fall.
It’s the first year the university system’s numbers will actually drop since the 1990s.
Online colleges nationwide are having trouble competing with for-profit institutions and free online courses.
Other Local News:
- Police Search For Missing Woman Experiencing ‘Psychological Problems’
- Motorcyclist Dies In Crash Following Rolling Thunder Event
- Man In Serious Condition After Fight In Ocean City
- 2 Sought in Death of Maryland Woman, 81, Arrested in Arizona
- Shark Alert! Warnings High- And Low-Tech Seek To Protect