Experts Warn Party Drug ‘Molly’ Rampant In Maryland
CBS Baltimore (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates:
Health News & Information:
GOVANS, Md. (WJZ) — Dozens of people are rushed to the hospital after taking the popular party drug known as “Molly.” It happened at a concert in Boston, but experts say the drug is rampant in Maryland.
Meghan McCorkell has the warning.
Thursday, Baltimore County Police busted a suspected Molly-making operation. It’s a drug that’s already proven to be deadly.
Dozens of people were rushed to the hospital, suspected of taking the party drug Molly.
“There was one kid, it took four cops to get him down. He was on something,” one girl said.
It happened at an electronic music concert by superstar deejay Avicii in Boston. Thirty-six were hospitalized, another 50 needed medical treatment.
“They dragged like four people out. I think it was drunk. Might have been Molly,” one man said.
Molly, also known as MDMA or ecstasy, has been linked to several deaths, including two at a Las Vegas concert last week and two overdoses at a New York City show last year. Both of those concerts also featured Avicii.
Addiction specialist Mike Gimbel says the use of Molly is rampant nationwide.
“It’s popular here in Baltimore. It’s popular in Maryland. All over the country, it’s become the drug of choice,” he said.
Just this week, Baltimore County Police busted three people they say were making Molly inside their home. Investigators found chemicals and what they call a Molly manufacturing lab in the basement.
One of those arrested, Dr. Priscilla Sheldon-Cost, is a psychiatrist who once worked at a Baltimore drug rehabilitation center.
“I think because there’s so much money to be made and it’s so popular that people are now risking setting up their own labs to do it,” Gimbel said.
And risking serious health complications, even death, by taking it.
Gimbel says Molly is often cut with other dangerous drugs, including bath salts.
Avicii is playing another concert in New York City this weekend. Security plans to bring in drug sniffing dogs.
Other Local News: