BALTIMORE (WJZ) — One Baltimore City track club is headed to the US Junior Olympics! The team has only been competing together for a year.
As Gigi Barnett explains, they need your help getting to the national track meet.
This Baltimore City track club has one motto that helps them win: “We don’t like losing.”
So much so that they named their team “Hate to Lose,” or HTL Club. And since they organized last summer, they’ve been winning ever since. Now they’re headed to the USA Track and Field National Competition in Houston—also called the Junior Olympics. It’s a chance to represent Baltimore.
“Many people say our city is not the best place to be,” said member Cavon Samuels. “But there are positive things about Baltimore.”
But the club may not compete at all because they don’t have enough cash for the trip.
The team is the creation of head coach Vaughn Davis. He started coaching the seven member club two years ago in football skills but decided to introduce them to the track field. They’re just back from the regional track meet in Durham, North Carolina. The medals poured in.
The next step now is to keep preparing for the Junior Olympics. The team hopes its supporters will share in their victory.
“We won’t upset you,” said one member.
Other Local News:
- Scientists Group Supports Aruna Miller For Likely Competitive Election
- Ocean City Officer Saves A Seagull After Being Hooked
- Carmelo Anthony Family And Foundation To Provide Food To 300 Families For Thanksgiving
- Craft Beer Legislation Proposals Expected To Be Announced
- Groundbreaking Ceremony To Take Place for New Northeast Area Elementary School