With less than 40 games left in the 2014 season the Orioles are like Secretariat coming down the stretch, with each stride closer to the finish line the O’s are pulling farther away from the East Division. It’s been an amazing summer for Oriole fans but we shouldn’t be shocked. The Orioles are headed for the playoffs for the second time in three years and over those three years the Orioles have been the best of the bunch in the American League East. Here are the standings combining this season with 2012 and 2013.
The Orioles would trade their 29.5 game lead over the Red Sox for Boston’s World Series trophy but over the last 3 seasons Boston has gone from worst to first and now back to worst in the East. The Orioles have outdone the Tigers and Angels and every other team in the American League except Oakland. The A’s get an “A” for consistency their 3-year record of 264-186 is the best in baseball. The Nationals have the best 3 year record in the National League with the Braves and Cardinals bunched right behind Washington.
Here are some of the reasons Buck’s Birds have made this a summer to remember in Baltimore.
- The Orioles haven’t had a losing road trip (4-2 on current trip).
- The teams current ERA is the Orioles best since 1979.
- They lead MLB with 161 homers. Nelson Cruz major league leader with 33.
- Since 6/30 O’s starters have allowed 3 or fewer earned runs in 36 or 43 games.
- Longest win streak 5 games, longest loser 4 games they’ve gone 72 straight games without losing 3 straight.
- Lights out bullpen with Andrew Miller, Darren O’Day and Zach Britton as good as any 3 in baseball.
The Orioles have been good for 3 years in the coming weeks they’ve got a chance to be great.
Related Stories – Baltimore Orioles:
- Duquette ‘Sick Of Hearing’ Bad Pre-Season Predictions About Orioles
- The Norris & Long Show Best Of – Week Of December 10th
- Bautista Will Not Join Baltimore Orioles Because Fans Don’t Want Him
- Johns Hopkins Study Puts New Spin On Baseball Batting Stats
- Orioles Rumors: Dan Duquette Talks Possible Signings, Trumbo Deal, RP Trades