BALTIMORE (AP) — Experts who attended the Food Safety Summit in Baltimore in April should have skipped lunch.

The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene released a report on Thursday that says the chicken Marsala served at a buffet lunch on April 9 during the 2014 Food Safety Summit at the Baltimore Convention Center caused a gastroenteritis outbreak that sickened 216 attendees.

The report says of the 216 attendees who got sick, 157 ate the chicken. Symptoms included diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramps and, in some cases, vomiting. The report says the chicken may not have been kept at the proper temperature.

Centerplate, the convention’s in-house catering company, provided the means at the summit, which attracted roughly 1,300 food safety experts to Baltimore.

Centerplate did not immediately return a call for comment.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
CBS All Access

Watch & Listen LIVE